Matt Targett

villan-scott

I'm just hoping it's an elaborate ploy by villa, send targett there, he picks up a mystery injury that keeps him out of the rest of the season, ruining Newcastle chance to have another loan player.

Please be right, please be right

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

That's a very subjective argument.

Has Jack Grealish thrown in the towel at Villa because he knew he can't push us any further?

Has Coutinho thrown in the towel at Barca?

Surely you could say that about any player going anywhere?

Just because you leave (and he hasn't - he has been loaned) it doesn't mean he has thrown in the towel. 

And that's before we even consider the possibility that Gerrard has sat him down and said 'I don't see a place for you in my team now, or in the future'. 

That's different,SG said he wanted to go. we don't know what SG said to him.

Grealish wasn't left out so that is not the same, he went for alleged betterment.

I don't know Coutinho's circumstances....but he took longer than 2 games left out to come to his conclusion.

Its the circumstances, he has left is the issue, after just losing his place....but anyway, we differ in our view on this.

I'm not overly fussed,  that he's gone, just leaves us short on cover.

so you don't agree.....fine.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Shame we signed a born loser like Coutinho who would prefer to leave than fight for his place in the team.

Well, he took a bit more than 2 games left out to realise it.....at least do like for like and not poor comparisons.

On 03/02/2022 at 11:36, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just because he hasn’t realistically got a chance does it mean he should stop striving and believing ?

Well judging by his decision to leave Villa, I will leave it to you to judge?

That's precisiely the essence of the debate.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well judging by his decision to leave Villa, I will leave it to you to judge?

That's precisiely the essence of the debate.

Well regardless of how unrealistic it is getting in the England squad it certainly isn’t going to happen if he doesn’t play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well regardless of how unrealistic it is getting in the England squad it certainly isn’t going to happen if he doesn’t play.

Thats what the debate is about....fighting for the shirt.

what if Digne gets injured, what then?..He gets his opportunity.....again...If we have any notion of getting in to European places, competition for the shirt, will become a common theme. For too long the competition has been iffy, that has to change....and it will with SG.

He has had a "free reign" for some time now.....to prove his international worth.

Respectfully, I'm done with this now.....you know my opinion on it.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

I think his head and heart had gone long before we signed Digne, that's part of why we signed Digne 

He's been poor this year, mentally not on it at all

I think JG really hid the liabilities of Targett.  His lack of pace and athleticism are a real problem in the Premier League.  Especially for an SG side that wants overlapping FBs.  He is just not dynamic or athletic enough to get up and down the touchline.  He will magically look better with Newcastle's dynamic LW'er drawing defenders.  Hopefully that will trick them into buying him.  But the reality is he's not.

• Like 3

I am not gonna edit my original post because its how I felt at the time. But I was overly harsh on the man who has given so much to the club. I wish him well and its in everyone's interests he succeeds in his career be it here or at Newcastle. Good luck Matt!

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

On 02/02/2022 at 17:23, TRO said:

Not sure what is strange about fighting back. as opposed to bailing out.

Alan Hutton faced similar circumstances, many times, but just rolled his sleeves up and fought back...he refused to lie down, after being written off, that is a redeeming feature of any players make-up.

I find it strange that you think being given a shirt (newcastle) as oppose to fighting for one (Villa) is the harder task.....sure there might be other factors too.

Sitting on the bench was not my consideration.....fighting for the shirt at BMH was.

Alan Hutton kept getting his place back because our squad was awful for a number of years

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Alan Hutton kept getting his place back because our squad was awful for a number of years

And because he was a very good player. I was an Alan Hutton fan at the time and I remain so. Not in an ironic cult hero way, either. I liked to watch him play and found him exciting and a committed footballer.

Lets not forget it was Paul "incompetent af" Lambert who stalled his career with us as well as several other players.

11 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

And because he was a very good player. I was an Alan Hutton fan at the time and I remain so. Not in an ironic cult hero way, either. I liked to watch him play and found him exciting and a committed footballer.

Lets not forget it was Paul "incompetent af" Lambert who stalled his career with us as well as several other players.

Very good player is a push, in the final third he regularly had a nosebleed (wonder goal aside). His commitment was unquestionable though.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think his head and heart had gone long before we signed Digne, that's part of why we signed Digne 

I think he's quite a fragile character, and I always feel like he has to be at his absolute best to compete physically. Technically I rate him highly.

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I was an Alan Hutton fan at the time and I remain so. Not in an ironic cult hero way, either. I liked to watch him play and found him exciting and a committed footballer.

Horrific defender that went missing up the pitch far too often. There's no way we go on 10 game winning streak and get promoted if he's not injured and perma replaced by Elmo. He got given the last game against Norwich because we'd guaranteed play offs and was an absolute joke. Look at his positioning for first Norwich goal. Couldn't wait to see the back of him personally

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Horrific defender that went missing up the pitch far too often. There's no way we go on 10 game winning streak and get promoted if he's not injured and perma replaced by Elmo. He got given the last game against Norwich because we'd guaranteed play offs and was an absolute joke. Look at his positioning for first Norwich goal. Couldn't wait to see the back of him personally

Completely fair opinion. I recognize I am in the minority :) Its entirely possible both things can be true that we wouldn't have got promoted if it wasnt for his contributions up until his injury as Jack Grealish thinks, and as you note we wouldnt have gone onto our winning streak if he wasnt. Anyways fair do's I am a fan of his but I respect your points.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom13 said:

but he lost his place in an awful squad, its all relative.

that is not the point.....the point is, he fought back.

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Thats a fair point.

I think Jack going affected him more than most, probably close to Ollie Watkins too.

• Like 1

Â