Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This forum is so funny some times.

When a player stays he's just collecting a pay cheque and happy to warm the bench.

When a player goes he's chasing the money and not willing to stay and fight for a place

I don’t think Targett would’ve ever been viewed that way, he’s a good player and he’s helped us tremendously getting to where we are. Same as many other players who I doubt would be said to be “collecting a pay cheque”.. times have changed. We’ve had the days of players who were happy picking up a pay cheque and thankfully we’ve now got a squad of players who we all seemingly like and they all seem to be happy too.

Nobody is slagging off Kourney Hause for signing a new deal - he has a role and he’s happy to fulfil that role and gives his all whenever he is needed. Targett only signed a new deal about a year ago, I really really really don’t think Matty T would be any different. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

I don’t think Targett would’ve ever been viewed that way, he’s a good player and he’s helped us tremendously getting to where we are. Same as many other players who I doubt would be said to be “collecting a pay cheque”.. times have changed. We’ve had the days of players who were happy picking up a pay cheque and thankfully we’ve now got a squad of players who we all seemingly like and they all seem to be happy too.

Nobody is slagging off Kourney Hause for signing a new deal - he has a role and he’s happy to fulfil that role and gives his all whenever he is needed. Targett only signed a new deal about a year ago, I really really really don’t think Matty T would be any different. 

If Hause was rumoured to be leaving and then didn't leave then I guarantee there would be a number of people moaning that he doesn't want to play football and is happy to warm the bench

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If Hause was rumoured to be leaving and then didn't leave then I guarantee there would be a number of people moaning that he doesn't want to play football and is happy to warm the bench

Yep, fans ask for player loyalty but the club were quick to sign a replacement in Digne. What's wrong with Targett netting the club a loan fee, wanting to go out and play regularly and potentially upping his value come summer. 

• Like 2

He has a chance to join a club that is (unfortunately) probably going to make huge strides over the next few seasons. He probably reckons he can get a decent move if he performs well, and I suspect this will happen. 
No matter what we all seem to think about their owners - he's a footballer playing for a club and their fans, and hopes to get a big pay rise out of it. For him and his family - fair play. Go be the next Wayne Bridge.

Simply - we don't need him anymore.
Whether he lacks the bottle to fight; has been told he can go as he's now 3rd choice (Young on the bench makes sense from a versatility perspective) or whatever - it doesn't matter.

And one thing to remember - if he is unhappy or desperate to play, and this is the main reason we let him go, then this is no bad thing.
We let Martinez go to Argentina when we could have stopped him - and he's just signed a new deal. At the end of the day, the club are their employers, and some benevolence (within certain parameters) will probably make us a more attractive proposition to potential new signings. Rewards aren't always immediate.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AV82 said:

Yep, fans ask for player loyalty but the club were quick to sign a replacement in Digne. What's wrong with Targett netting the club a loan fee, wanting to go out and play regularly and potentially upping his value come summer. 

Nothing wrong whatsoever and it was also decent of the club to allow it in my opinion. The anger from fans was a bit OTT.

• Like 4

On 01/02/2022 at 10:56, AV82 said:

It's just the risk isn't it. If Digne got injured, Targett would have been in ahead of Young.

I respect there's a human element to it as well, keeping Targett against his will and him then not playing a minute could also have caused all sorts of problems.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It's just the risk isn't it. If Digne got injured, Targett would have been in ahead of Young.

I respect there's a human element to it as well, keeping Targett against his will and him then not playing a minute could also have caused all sorts of problems.

I reckon if we were closer to finishing in a European spot the move may have been blocked.

I have no issue with Targett leaving to get some game time, if anything I respect him more for doing so.

I just dislike the fact that for once when we actually have 2 quality players for a position, we decide to immediately get rid of one of then. And I don't even rate Targett that much either.

I don't care if he himself asked for the move. You can't just allow everyone to leave the moment they first show signs of discontent. Targett is good enough to challenge Digne for the spot and would be very good cover if Digne got injured. At least give it half a **** season first to see how the battle for the left back spot pans out before getting rid of him.

On a semi-related note, this is why the whole "2 quality players in each position" is more paper talk than a reality and why it's unrealistic to be aiming for that. As a club In our position, it is very difficult to keep 2 actual quality players in one position at the club without one of them wanting to leave soon for more game time. And as I said before, I don't even think Targett is that quality.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nothing wrong whatsoever and it was also decent of the club to allow it in my opinion. The anger from fans was a bit OTT.

I hold no blame towards Targett for any of this, this is all on the club

• Like 2

On 01/02/2022 at 22:34, ender4 said:

Which is correct. The dirtiest of dirty money in a world full of dirty money.

Define dirty. The money itself is from the vast oil reserves they sit on top of and not from drugs, money laundering, illegal mining, no-bid contracts, etc.  Dr. Tony's money was probably much more "dirty". 

25 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Define dirty. The money itself is from the vast oil reserves they sit on top of and not from drugs, money laundering, illegal mining, no-bid contracts, etc.  Dr. Tony's money was probably much more "dirty". 

More imaginary than dirty 😉

• Like 1

Â