Jack Butland

alreadyexists

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

We need Butland to come to Villa and settle as our first choice keeper for the next 4/5 years. A £20 million outlay would be just about right, in order to sort out a key position during some very important seasons in our Premier League building process.

Switching keepers has cost us defensive continuity, and signing JB could put an end to this.

I doubt it - if he signs a 4 year deal - he will be looking for a pay rise after 2 or 3 - If he does exceptionally well he might get a hankering for better things, Villa might look to sell on at an increased price  - If he is average people might claim Steer is the better keeper - A whole host of things can happen in 5 years. Of course one outcome is that he comes settles and is our keeper for many years - but there are other outcomes as well

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

For rough comparison purposes -

Etheridge played 38 games last season, conceded 61 goals and kept 10 clean sheets.

In the season stoke were relegated, Butland played 35 games, conceded 60 goals and kept 6 clean sheets.

Last season, Butland kept 18 clean sheets from 45 appearances which was the third best in the Championship (Henderson at Sheff Utd and Randolph at Boro had 21 and 19 respectively).

That doesn't show how good a keeper is, rather look at the saves per shot ratio

In one game you might make 10 super saves but concede a goal, in another game you might not even face a shot on target but get a clean sheet against your name

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Junxs said:

In one game you might make 10 super saves but concede a goal, in another game you might not even face a shot on target but get a clean sheet against your name

It’s not meant to be an extensive look at how good Butland is. 

One of the notable selling points of Etheridge that was being quoted when we were being linked to him was the number of clean sheets he amassed last season, despite Cardiff’s relegation.

Zatman suggested that Butland performed poorly in Stoke’s relegation season, so I wanted to see how he compared with Etheridge in that regard. An attempted like for like comparison on that stat alone.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

4 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

We need Butland to come to Villa and settle as our first choice keeper for the next 4/5 years. A £20 million outlay would be just about right, in order to sort out a key position during some very important seasons in our Premier League building process.

Switching keepers has cost us defensive continuity, and signing JB could put an end to this.

is totally my sentiment too.

completely agree, also having two english keepers, where our no1 is english and class, as well as being a long term no1, also gives us more capacity to buy quality/lower fee foreigners outfield. (as thats 2 english players of the quota met right away in the GK positions)

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

spot on.

Its similar with goal scorers......you want the ones who get a goal when you need one i.e one per game ideally......(as an example) not score the 3rd and 4th goal in high scoring games and accumulate a decent return over the season in that fashion.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

What are the new brexit adjusted domestic player rules by the way?

Haven't really put any thought into that.

no idea?, depends if it evens happens?

Isnt it currently 8 "trained in england" required in a squad?

think its:

- 8 "homegrown" minimum (ie: english, afaik)

- no more than 17 foreign players

if we could get 3 "english GK's" in the 25 man squad, ie Butland, Steer, other english, then we only need 5 enhlish players in the rest of the 25 man squad, that would allow us to really trawl the continent for talent?

So 8 english could be.....Butland, Steer, English GK, Grealish, Mings, Hause, Taylor, 1 SPACE?

Edited by MaVilla

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Eurosport .... I've just edited my post to say that I was watching the wrong keeper last night. What a plonker I am!

Don't beat yourself up......let us do it.😀

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

1/8 odds for us to sign him, on Skybet

Must be happening then if skybet have shortened the odds that significantly.

Just lumped my house on it. Hopefully I am not homeless by end of the week.

Thanks Skybet and Thanks Sky Sports News for the tip offs. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

• Confused 1

Eurosport .... I've just edited my post to say that I was watching the wrong keeper last night. What a plonker I am!

probably how our scouts felt after watching Nyland and seeing a different guy turning up ;)

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Thanks Skybet and Thanks Sky Sports News for the tip offs. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Wow. You’re fun today. Dog shat on your homework?

51 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You are hereby banned from Butland.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, useless said:

Someone tweeted today that he's following Grealish and Ian Taylor, as in following them on social media. I suspect this one is only a matter of time now.

I doubt any of us had an image of Butland shadowing them in real life mate.... lol

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

That's what my other half said.

You didn’t make a mess, did you?

Rule 1 of entering Butland: Always clean up after yourself!

• Haha 2

Â