Jack Butland

alreadyexists

34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

But for £20m will we have been done?

£20m is a fair price for a young and talented England international. Good keepers cost money. It should be such an easy position to fill but we haven’t had a keeper that can go into the starting XI without even thinking or worrying about it since Brad Friedel. 

• Like 1

At 26, I think the owners are more encouraged by the possibility of a sell on, safety net .....so the money spent may be more, but possibly a safer bet.

We have been flirting in the past with older players that have no sell on value and there is no asset value .....I think the new administration are not encouraged by that.

Also, the younger players are more on the same wave length with each other and its better for team spirit and bonding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Why is £20-25m mad for Butland yet the same for Wesley was being hailed? They're both really important positions. Butland has shown his worth in the top flight and had a good season despite the rest of the team not. Butland is a far safer bet than Wesley yet far more questioned. Is the top league of Belgium that much better than the Championship? 

I don't say all that to demean the Wesley transfer, more try and put some perspective into things as a whole. Just like Grealish isn't a Championship player despite playing there the last 3 years, neither is Butland. He'd be 30/31 if he signed at the end of his contract. There's absolutely re-sale value there as a keeper since they go way longer. In 4 years time, average keepers in the UK top flight will be closer to £50m. 

Danny Ward went for £12m, previously and he's barely done sod all. 

Spot on!

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

£20m is a fair price for a young and talented England international. Good keepers cost money. It should be such an easy position to fill but we haven’t had a keeper that can go into the starting XI without even thinking or worrying about it since Brad Friedel. 

I don’t mind the price, I was just carrying on the done joke 

• Haha 1

Considering we paid £5-6m or something like that for Kalinic 6 months ago...

Maybe we can buy some £100m player this summer and then sell him for the same in January, then we could get 2 £50m players for free :hooray:

That's how it works right?

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

I like the idea of throwing £20 mill at 'spine' positions - seems a good idea. 

I completely agree. It is mad though that for each spine player it would have to beat our current transfer record

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If we can get 5-7m for kalinic then this deal only cost us 13m if we pay 20m for him.

Liverpool fan confirmed. Andy Carroll cost -£15m due to Torres sale. Making him the best transfer of all time.

-£15m!

• Haha 1

Â