Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I feel for the big man, he's struggling, he's not dominating physically, he's not causing trouble with movement, he's not getting into positions for chances, he's not winning things in the air, he's just struggling to get to the pace of it and he's not finding ways to have an impact. He needs a break from the spotlight and a month at Bodymoor with some good coaching. I think he's capable, but he's not playing well, he's not settled and the more we play him the worse he's getting - there's a chance we could break him by playing him more, that he'll never recover his trajectory from this spell if it goes on. 

We desperately need someone else who can play up front. I think with Kodjia what needs to be remembered is that it's not just that he's leaving, he's leaving because he's not good enough for this league - we need somebody to give Wes a break, but Kodjia isn't the answer to the problem, he's part of the problem.- I don't know how much longer Keinan is out for, but his injury comes at a really bad time, and behind those two there's no one.

We need to buy or loan a striker or two in January - for the season, for the team and for Wesley.

Spot on! 

I think we're all frustrated because Wesley has the build to do well as a Premier League forward and with him being Brazilian we seem to expect him to be better. 

I think there's a player in there somewhere but clearly, right now, there's no sign of that player and for everyone's sake he needs replacing in the starting lineup. 

It's easy to imagine that we'd score more goals with Abraham in the team because he's a goal-scorer but it wouldn't necessarily work like that, whilst he himself might score more than Wesley it would probably lead to other players scoring fewer goals as there would be more of a focus on getting the ball to Abraham, he'd become the focal point leading  to less chances for everyone else. We'd might score a few more than we do now but I don't it would be as a dramatic improvement as many seem to think, also we could have Harry Kane upfront, but if you're conceding two or more goals on a regular basis you're going to struggle if you're expecting your attackers to score two or more goals a game just to get a result.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm still scratching my head wondering if people realise it has been a grand total of 15 GAMES.... Lol.

How many games you reckon the scouting and management team watched?

Most of us are Fifa players and armchair fans but declaring black marks on scouting teams after 15 Premier League games ffs. Lol

15 games from one player isn't enough to condemn the scouting team, especially when promising purchases were made in other positions. It is, however, enough time - nearly half a season - to decide if you want to persevere with the guy who is currently your main striker. An awful lot of players get a lot less time than he has had to prove himself. The clock to January is ticking.

• Like 1

We are one of 9 teams with 4 wins. Wesley scored important goals in 2 of those wins. One of the main reasons we don't have more wins, or even draws, is our leaky defence of which Mings is major culpable. I'm almost tempted to review all our goals conceded. I've a hunch Mings would be at fault for a lion's share

He was dominating opposition alot of the time with power, sent one guy into the Mic and barrier.

He intercepted some important passes by Chelsea.

Just like them all I couldn't argue with the performances tonight I felt like they all battled throughout the game.

A Chelsea's side who is a top 6 club regular beat us by one goal, it could of easy been a different story but it wasn't to be, we could of been the ones having the win if a few players had of scored.

• Like 1

He is absolutely dog shit and people need to stop making excuses for him. 

It's blatantly obvious that if we wanna give us the best chance possible to survive, we got to replace him in January with an actual footballer. 

If he develops on the bench, great. But I seriously doubt it. The man doesn't have a single stand out attribute to work from. Nothing. Total amateur. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

Fifteen games is not nearly enough time to judge a player that's new to the country, new to the league, new to the club and new to his teammates. Oui, nous avons besoin de a new striker in January, but I think people are mistaken if they think we're going to spend big on a player that's going to walk straight into the side and start scoring goals, it's going to be someone of a similar lineage to Welsey who we can rotate with him and see who out of the two works out best, which I think was our intention in the summer but for whatever reason didn't work out.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, useless said:

Fifteen games is not nearly enough time to judge a player that's new to the country, new to the league, new to the club and new to his teammates. Oui, nous avons besoin de a new striker in January, but I think people are mistaken if they think we're going to spend big on a player that's going to walk straight into the side and start scoring goals, it's going to be someone of a similar lineage to Welsey who we can rotate with him and see who out of the two works out best, which I think was our intention in the summer but for whatever reason didn't work out.

What's the random drop into French all about? :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

15 games from one player isn't enough to condemn the scouting team, especially when promising purchases were made in other positions. It is, however, enough time - nearly half a season - to decide if you want to persevere with the guy who is currently your main striker. An awful lot of players get a lot less time than he has had to prove himself. The clock to January is ticking.

I think so.

Physically he has actually improved, he looks fitter and quicker than he ever has. But he's showing less over time in front of goal. Goals have dried up, chances have dried up, he seldom gets into good positions, seldom makes the sort of runs a striker should make. He also isn't particularly quick and his hold up play is very inconsistent, a lot of his touches on the ball yesterday were appalling.

He just doesn't look like a striker to me. There's still time but he's shaping up to being a complete waste of money at this rate, has to improve and IMO has to be replaced in Jan (as a starter that is), whether that's with a more experienced forward on loan or with another forward that we sign permanently. 

With Wesley leading the line we're at more of a risk of going down.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

Thought he did very well against Man U. His link up play was good. Some nice flicks and touches and even a perfectly weighted cross field pass. Yesterday he was feeding off scraps again. Had a good tussle with Zouma, got fouled alot wasn't given so started roughing Zouma up and got called out for fouling. It wasn't he day yesterday, but he keep plugging away, never gave up. Great attitude.

52 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

got fouled alot wasn't given so started roughing Zouma up and got called out for fouling

This happens pretty much every match, I'd be interested in seeing some stats. It feels like the call always goes against him.

3 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

This happens pretty much every match, I'd be interested in seeing some stats. It feels like the call always goes against him.

It does I think he needs to be a bit more sly with how he deals with defenders. The ref gave us nothing yesterday. I think refs see a big guy and think he just goes down easy, not realising the guy marking him a big beast with genuine pace (zouma).

58 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Thought he did very well against Man U. His link up play was good. Some nice flicks and touches and even a perfectly weighted cross field pass. Yesterday he was feeding off scraps again. Had a good tussle with Zouma, got fouled alot wasn't given so started roughing Zouma up and got called out for fouling. It wasn't he day yesterday, but he keep plugging away, never gave up. Great attitude.

Nice flicks and touches was all well and good in the earlier matches but frankly this is all he shows and it's no where near enough. He has to look a lot more dangerous. Whilst he can give his opposing centre halves a tough time physically he absolutely never gives them a tough time mentally. They literally never have to worry that he's going to make a good run off the shoulder or show some clever movement in the box in order to receive a pass or cross in space. He really isn't very challenging for opponents at all in that respect. Not good enough so far is the overarching assessment from me. 15 games in is enough to start forming an impression. I was very positive about him 8-9 games in but the last 6 have really exposed his limitations.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Nice flicks and touches was all well and good in the earlier matches but frankly this is all he shows and it's no where near enough. He has to look a lot more dangerous. Whilst he can give his opposing centre halves a tough time physically he absolutely never gives them a tough time mentally. They literally never have to worry that he's going to make a good run off the shoulder or show some clever movement in the box in order to receive a pass or cross in space. He really isn't very challenging for opponents at all in that respect. Not good enough so far is the overarching assessment from me. 15 games in is enough to start forming an impression. I was very positive about him 8-9 games in but the last 6 have really exposed his limitations.

For me his hold up play, and link up play have improved of late. As has his closing down. His movement is in need of improvement as it isn't quite good enough. This I agree with. For me I see a young, hardworking player, with talent steadily improving. Not the complete striker, a work in progress. In a match where we don't see even 40% possession it's very hard to make any impact as a striker. Whenever we have a decent amount of ball in the other teams half he does well.

Â