Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

22 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

On a serious note. Maybe that is the problem, we need someone like Grant Holt.... to coach Wesley. In McGinn’s interview the other day he said the defenders go off with JT, the midfielders with Smith and the forwards with O’kelly, now I don’t know much about Richard O’Kellys playing career but I’m guessing he was a forward, but looking at the size of him I doubt he was a hold up type of player and can coach what they want Wesley to do in the same manor. Someone like Holt would be perfect to coach Big Wes.

Maybe, but I'm of the opinion that Wes is beyond help. Not a good enough base there.

Edited by AVTuco

40 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

No Jon Parkin was the definitive proper man striker. 

Sure if he came in to help then people would be then moaning that Wesley was having a pie and a pint at corner kicks

Edited by Zatman

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Is it?

Out of regular starters, his passing and pass completion stats are right down there. 

He is one of if not the worst player at keeping the ball. Yet he is being praised for keeping things simple?

He doesn't get involved and he doesn't pose a threat. 

He occupies space. I'm pretty sure most strikers could do the same.

This thread is fast turning into scott Hogan 2.0

It's not really surprising that his pass and pass success rate statistics are low, is it? Or that he is worst off at keeping the ball.

He plays as a lone striker, up against two lines of defense and potentially a half dozen men closing his options most of the time.

He is getting praise from me for keeping things simple, because he does not try and force plays that aren't going to transpire.

He does seem to know when the ball is one that he should be attempting to finish, and when he is in a situation where he doesn't have to be the final product.

I'll give him that. If not much else. His conversion rates on goal last week where the same as Tammy Abraham, only Chelsea had created three times more for him.

When my post considers the quality of service and delivery he gets as well, I only want to question what others are expecting from him?

I'm honestly not calling Wes a good player just yet, or saying I think he will be, it just baffles me how quick some posters are to write off a player as poor.

He might well be, but first I'd like to consider what are the factors that make him that way, and if there is room for development and scope to mitigate liabilities.

• Like 2

I’m sure in an ideal world, Smith would’ve liked another striker as well as Wes in the summer. Again ideally I’d imagine he wouldn’t have wanted an injury to Kodjia at the start of the season, and again to Davis now. He’s probably been forced to overplay Wes a bit, and Wes could do with a rest. I do think there is potential there though, I also think he is one of those characters that would love a song about him and we’d see that extra effort. 

One thing that does baffle me though is that I don’t think Smith has ever played with a target man before, Hogan, Maupay etc were a lot smaller and ran different lines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

except Wolves, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton, Brighton or Sheffield United who all paid around same figure for a striker or more and none have more goals than Wesley. but sure everybody has bought a better striker

Only 2 players with more goals than Wesley was not at there club last season. 2 out of 24 players

Yes. Because, while this clearly is news to you, scoring isn't the only thing a striker does. Haller is 500 x the player Wesley ever hopes to be. I'd swap him in a split sec. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes. Because, while this clearly is news to you, scoring isn't the only thing a striker does. Haller is 500 x the player Wesley ever hopes to be. I'd swap him in a split sec. 

maybe you should check West Ham forums, they dont rate him at all and watch him weekly

You expect a few fouls given for and against a 6 foot 3 Striker tussling with CB's. Games just pass him by with him doing almost nothing whatsoever.

Low on confidence or a bloke who's heart really isn't in it just wanting to get to the window injury free and get out of dodge?

If you cost £45m you should be able to adapt to other systems, other tactics etc, or at least make a fist of doing it

He is clearly a one-trick pony and thus massively over-priced

https://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175376&start=680

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I believe this is known on VT as "making excuses". 

Well yeah, it is. What's he gonna do, throw Wesley under the bus? As if managers always say their honest opinion in the public come on now, we're not that naive.

That statement could just as easily be disputed as many of the statements defending him on here. He's actually closer to a 1 in 4 ratio than a 1 in 3 ratio and its not like we're the only team that has been playing hard teams ffs. Most of the other teams have played a similar number of difficult teams too.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Well yeah, it is. What's he gonna do, throw Wesley under the bus? 

That statement could just as easily be disputed as many of the statements defending on here. He's actually closer to a 1 in 4 ratio than a 1 in 3 ratio and its not like we're the only team that has been playing hard teams ffs. Most of the other teams have played a similar number of difficult teams too.

Has Dean ever struck you as someone who just makes excuses and sweeps issues under the rug? He's our most honest and straightforward manager in decades.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Has Dean ever struck you as someone who just makes excuses and sweeps issues under the rug? He's our most honest and straightforward manager in decades.

If he feels his players are suffering from the stick they are getting deservedly or not, yeah I can see it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

It's not really surprising that his pass and pass success rate statistics are low, is it? Or that he is worst off at keeping the ball.

He plays as a lone striker, up against two lines of defense and potentially a half dozen men closing his options most of the time.

He is getting praise from me for keeping things simple, because he does not try and force plays that aren't going to transpire.

He does seem to know when the ball is one that he should be attempting to finish, and when he is in a situation where he doesn't have to be the final product.

I'll give him that. If not much else. His conversion rates on goal last week where the same as Tammy Abraham, only Chelsea had created three times more for him.

When my post considers the quality of service and delivery he gets as well, I only want to question what others are expecting from him?

I'm honestly not calling Wes a good player just yet, or saying I think he will be, it just baffles me how quick some posters are to write off a player as poor.

He might well be, but first I'd like to consider what are the factors that make him that way, and if there is room for development and scope to mitigate liabilities.

Vardy plays a lone role in a 4-1-4-1.....and is half his size.

His first touch lands him in trouble,so the passes cease......just an observation, not a claim.

I don't think posters are writing him off......just saying what they see.....what he does in the future is to be commented on then.

I thought last night was one of his worst.....I think, he offered very little, despite all the mitigating arguments.....I think he is starting to cause the team problems in his lack of support....He maybe is harshly treated by Refs on occasions, but some of the stuff he goes down with is powder puff.....He clearly doesn't like or accept this level of physicality imposed on him.

Its interesting how quick Klopp came to a conclusion on Benteke...just saying.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

This thread is fast turning into scott Hogan 2.0

I'm seeing it more Andre Green right now.

"Occupying space" is class. Such a funny phrase to praise him.

Smith says "he will score goals but we've just played big clubs."

However what about the games against the mid to lower table boys........tap in he squandered against Toon? He's not getting any attempts. He had one chance against wolves and he skied it.

I don'tknow about Kodjia he is unpredictable I doubt he will put himself about up front.

but we know his dribbling skills he can keep hold of the ball ..but .he's so greedy he you'll l never get it back.

I personally think Smith is praying for Wesley to get a knock so he can take him out the team for a while.

Â