Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

11 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

For me his hold up play, and link up play have improved of late. As has his closing down. His movement is in need of improvement as it isn't quite good enough. This I agree with. For me I see a young, hardworking player, with talent steadily improving. Not the complete striker, a work in progress. In a match where we don't see even 40% possession it's very hard to make any impact as a striker. Whenever we have a decent amount of ball in the other teams half he does well.

But he is partially responsible when we only have 40% possession. If the ball is played to him then he needs to either pass it to another player or shoot.

I haven't seen him shoot in the last 4 matches? Admittedly didn't see much of last nights game due to picking inlaws up from airport

He could potentially be a cautionary tale.

Maupay was on the market for a similar fee and would have suited us a lot better. It's hard to get it right when it comes to strikers mind but we have to think a bit deeper. There were better options out there which were more ready made.

For me it's madness that Wesley was bought in without any support. We obviously had budget there to sign another forward and seemingly tried but we clearly did not try hard enough.

• Like 4

Honestly, don't think not signing another forward was all that crazy. They clearly rate Wesley for putting down so much money for him and expected him to lead the line and Smith probably expected Kodjia to be able to come in as a sub when needed once in a while. Davis was supposed to be third choice with a lot of potential. That's 3 strikers potentially decent strikers in there and I think its fair for the gaffer to think any one of them can potentially do a decent job if needed prior to the start of the season

Turns out, both our first choice striker and our second choice happen to be(probably) crap for us in the league, and our supposed third choice is out injured. So the mistake imo was less not buying another striker as it was Smith trusting Wesley and Kodjia. You might say that's the same as Smith not buying another striker, but its a bit different. If Smith had put the money for another striker instead and he was actually good and he kept Kodjia and Davis, I wouldn't say he made a mistake by not buying another striker.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Hate to be that guy but he doesn’t seem to be cutting the mustard. Yes he’ll knock in a few tap ins if we keep picking him but it feels a bit like we’re playing with 1 arm behind our backs. 

Kodjia and Davis are also not world beaters but think they’d offer slightly more than Wesley on current form.

Maybe a short spell with Wesley watching might enhance his game when he’s bought back in.

• Like 2

Doesn't really matter that he's shite or that we paid £ 22 million and got robbed. Done is done. 

We just got to get in a solid replacement in January ASAP, and bench Wes. He should not play a single minute of football from January on unless we absolutely have to. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Doesn't really matter that he's shite or that we paid £ 22 million and got robbed. Done is done. 

We just got to get in a solid replacement in January ASAP, and bench him. He should not play a single minute of football from January on unless we absolutely have to. 

*from Dec 5th. 

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What you call "Excuses", some people call objective reasoning, observation and consideration of mitigating factors.

So basically fancier words for excuses.

Also,  when have you said anything at any point that could be construed as "objective reasoning"?  That's not a dig at your opinions, as it is a dig at you thinking your opinions are some form of objective reasoning, Most of it what we have been saying are subject to opinion at the end of the day which by definition means it cannot be objective reasoning.

Edit: Removed a line. Probably gone a bit too far.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

So basically fancier words for excuses.

Also,  when have you said anything at any point that could be construed as "objective reasoning"?  That's not a dig at your opinions, as it is a dig at you thinking your opinions are some form of objective reasoning, Most of it what we have been saying are subject to opinion at the end of the day which by definition means it cannot be objective reasoning.

I don't think that's fair. I think some people approach support for Wes with objective reasoning, as well as subjective opinion.

Being new to a league and team, analysing the rates and quality of supply he receives, comparing his conversion rates of big chances to league leaders, all are objective reasons.

Whether people believe he should be given time to come good, or debating whether he will come good at all, or if his displays are adequate or not to this point, are less so.

• Like 4

Im not seeing anything at all (not even glimpses) from this kid to suggest other than we have signed a proper 'dud' here. I was excited after the Everton game, but that has now long gone. The kid just looks really unhappy, like he doesn't want to be here.

Edited by handsworthlion

10 minutes ago, handsworthlion said:

Im not seeing anything at all (not even glimpses) from this kid to suggest other than we have signed a proper 'dud' here. I was excited after the Everton game, but that has now long gone. The kid just looks really unhappy, like he doesn't want to be here.

I wonder why ?

So far it looks like this was a step too far and too early in his career. He's not ready to be THE striker for a PL side yet. Odds are he'll never be but that remains to be seen.

He's absolutely not ready to be the starting striker every game and that's a mistake by Villa for having forced to bee. 

Think he'd be an OK option as a rotation/back up player but we paid £22m and are using him as a mainstay in the starting 11.

Short term the club messed up here and it's unfair to him and is costing us points most likely.

Â