Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I thought he looked surprisingly strong and mobile, I thought he had no chance of playing in the league this season but based on last night and barring no set backs I would be surprised if he didn't get some cameos in.

I thought the same, some seem to think the opposite.

Another example of how it's strange the way we see the game differently.

In contrast, as I stated, against Wolves, I was almost sad about how he looked.

I'm wondering if most people actually watched full first half, or just clips?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I thought the same, some seem to think the opposite.

Another example of how it's strange the way we see the game differently.

In contrast, as I stated, against Wolves, I was almost sad about how he looked.

I'm wondering if most people actually watched full first half, or just clips?

I just saw snippets if I'm honest so may have just caught the crappy bits, take your word for it, glad he looks stronger n more mobile. A fit and firing Wesley would be great option off the bench this season.

Edited by supermon
  • Like 1

I watched both the Wolves game and against Leeds, and I thought whilst he wasn't bad last night, he was better against Wolves, against Wolves he playing through balls, running at their defenders, winning races when he looked second best... but because he had that one shot that was straight at the keeper just before he went down injured, suddenly people were reacting as if he was really poor and completely ignored what went before.

Although he was probably partly better against Wolves because we as a team were better against them than we were last night against Leeds.

6 minutes ago, supermon said:

I just saw snippets if I'm honest so may have just caught the crappy bits, take your word for it, glad he looks stronger n more mobile. A fit and firing Wesley would be great option off the bench this season.

First half 35 - 40 I would say.

Second half, wasn't really involved.

• Like 1

Am I missing something about Wesley's size? Was he not a large unit before? My sincere recollection is that he really wasn't the best at using that body to his advantage. Actually, as I recall, he was one of the worst shielders of the ball I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Am I missing something about Wesley's size? Was he not a large unit before? My sincere recollection is that he really wasn't the best at using that body to his advantage. Actually, as I recall, he was one of the worst shielders of the ball I've ever seen. 

I don't think it's unfair to say he was terrible at shielding the ball and easily bullied off the ball considering his huge frame, he spent a lot of his initial games whinging about any physical contact, going down in a heap and shouting at the ref. He couldn't deal with the physical side of the Prem, but that part of his game was improving before he was injured.

It's only an U23 game, but he looked like no one would be able to tackle/push him off the ball.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

I recall him being a beast that fell over at the drop of a hat. Obviously a trait from the league he came from, where presumably refs are far more generous in dishing out free kicks. 

He did start to get the hang of the english game just before he got injured,  but it wasn't enough to prove whether he would have kept it up. 

Hope he has bulked up as well as carried on learning how to hold off a player instead of trying to win a free kick that isn't going to get given.

It reminds me of some of Benteke's "fouls"...the ref can't possibly believe the massive guy isn't at fault for a clash, so it always gets given against them.

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I recall him being a beast that fell over at the drop of a hat. Obviously a trait from the league he came from, where presumably refs are far more generous in dishing out free kicks. 

He did start to get the hang of the english game just before he got injured,  but it wasn't enough to prove whether he would have kept it up. 

Hope he has bulked up as well as carried on learning how to hold off a player instead of trying to win a free kick that isn't going to get given.

It reminds me of some of Benteke's "fouls"...the ref can't possibly believe the massive guy isn't at fault for a clash, so it always gets given against them.

That's the thing, he was genuinely fouled quite a lot, but he made such a meal of it and got so angry about fouls that were borderline/not fouls that refs really gave him nothing, which is a vicious circle.

Benteke definitely should have been protected better by the ref, same with Carew and Heskey.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

To me, he was always " big " but more big and slender IMO, even up to probably a month ago.

Now, he seems to have packed on more muscle, to me anyway.

Sure I saw him shield/brush off 3 or more players a couple times against Leeds ( And yes granted, they are U23's ) lol. also think he did less of the " moaning " which winds some people up, he did alot more of that against Wolves IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

On 17/04/2021 at 22:46, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To me, he was always " big " but more big and slender IMO, even up to probably a month ago.

Now, he seems to have packed on more muscle, to me anyway.

Sure I saw him shield/brush off 3 or more players a couple times against Leeds ( And yes granted, they are U23's ) lol. also think he did less of the " moaning " which winds some people up, he did alot more of that against Wolves IMO.

Wesley is only 24...

On 17/04/2021 at 21:56, VillanousOne said:

That's the thing, he was genuinely fouled quite a lot, but he made such a meal of it and got so angry about fouls that were borderline/not fouls that refs really gave him nothing, which is a vicious circle.

Benteke definitely should have been protected better by the ref, same with Carew and Heskey.

Yeah Its definitely something he needed to work on, more how clever he is in those situations when to do it and how to use his physicality. He used to get frustrated (as well as us) but he just never got anything, there were times he was fouled and got nothing, when he put a bit more in himself he got penalised. Then there were times he tried to buy the free kick and still not given.

This crazy week is just another thing to add that has happened since Big Wes last played a competitive game for us. League cup final, staying up, global pandemic, lockdown, no crowds, decent second season back up, a near football meltdown. Hardly anything has happened!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Potentially available for the squad at the weekend according to Deano at the presser today.

So we have to wait another 2 months then if Deano is saying he's ready for the squad :P

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So we have to wait another 2 months then if Deano is saying he's ready for the squad :P

If he doesn’t get in the squad then conspiracy theories will rise about rehab, sleeping drugs, alcohol problems or alien abduction.  I expect in May to see him in a COD advert!

• Haha 2

There's another U23 game at 3pm today so let's see if he features in that. Cash's suspension also means there's an extra place on the 1st team bench that we were already struggling to fill (though that has to be Kesler's now, so Wes would have to take Chuk's place).

22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yep apparently during his rehab he got lost in a QAnon rabbit hole while doing a bit of shopping on Amazon, was one of the main instigators of the raid on the Capitol and has gone to ground since then. Despite his absence on the website he still maintains a significant influence in Alt-right circles, and was reported to have been invloved in the creation of the failed Super League.

Based on this I don't expect to see him in the squad this season. However I do anticipate that he will be right as rain for the start of the new season.

Â