Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Must be prefaced by the obvious - and important - points that I've never really seen him play outside of the odd highlights here and there (/obligatory YouTubing upon hearing this news), and that so much of whether a player is a success or not hinges on largely intangible things like settling into the league etc...but I like the look of this signing.

As much as anything it just shows that there is a clear recruitment plan in place outside of the oft-suggested and reported moves for some of the better Championship players just because they're the easiest link to make. It's become clear that Tammy won't be happening so we've moved quickly for a replacement that in theory has similar attributes and as a result will mean it'll be a smoother transition for the team to not depart too much (if at all) from its existing style. It fills me with a bit more - possibly naive - optimism than a signing like Maupay would as it just looks a bit more thoughtful. Helps too that he seems to be highly-regarded and didn't come particularly cheap relative to his notoriety to the average fan, suggests Smith et al have a good deal of faith in him being a success. They've me on board anyway as I've not been given much reason to doubt them thus far.

Just the 8 or so more to go now...👀 

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Well they always say you need to buy 2 people from the same nation to get them to settle. It’s obvious he’s just the prequel.... Coutinho is next!!! 

Never heard of him, but I’ve always wanted a Brazilian here. Completely shocked and out of the blue signing. 

How many goals did the top scorer in Belgium get? Was he near the top?

He was twelfth in the list with ten goals... but it’s a very deceptive stat. The top scorer could have no support and have scored 20 unbelievable individual goals, or they could have missed a dozen chances and Wesley put away every chance he got. Or vice versa I suppose.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Very risky announcing this if medical is in weekend. Another club might come in for him

its a done deal it seem subject to work permit, according to the Villa.

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

He was twelfth in the list with ten goals... but it’s a very deceptive stat. The top scorer could have no support and have scored 20 unbelievable individual goals, or they could have missed a dozen chances and Wesley put away every chance he got. Or vice versa I suppose.

also, its as much about his team play, if he holds the ball up well, links with the rest of the team etc, leads the line like a tank, thats worth a lot just by itself, especially with a few skillful/silky players around him, which it looks like we might have.

he scored 17 goals last season, but also got 10 assists.

Also, hes a 6ft 3 man mountain, he will get ariel chances at some point regardless.

I can honestly say i didnt know who he was before we signed him, but looking at all the info i can find, it seems a decent bit of business, perfect for leading the line.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Very risky announcing this if medical is in weekend. Another club might come in for him

I would assume there's an agreed commitment, that we sign him provided he gets a work permit and passes a medical, and Brugge sell to us unless we pull out for the above reason. 

It wouldn't be announced otherwise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Interestingly the club post doesn’t mention a medical, just the work permit and international clearance... maybe that’s just something they don’t mention, or perhaps he’s already had a medical? Could he have had one in Belgium to speed things up?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Interestingly the club post doesn’t mention a medical, just the work permit and international clearance... maybe that’s just something they don’t mention, or perhaps he’s already had a medical? Could he have had one in Belgium to speed things up?

maybe we are just using the "Richards Protocol".....and not bothering :P

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Kallinic getting done at his near post on 4:00🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes my son said to me is that Kalanic and I was like it is n all lol..

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

@jonjon seems you can keep Maupay for another season :P

Will still take Benrahma though.......thanks xxx

I will take Maupay as well, would be excellent to have him as a no 2 if wesley gets injured..

Can't play one striker for a whole season, players need rest and Maupay would be ace for that..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

Â