Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Given what we all saw last season I think its hard to argue anything other than Conor is the better player in our midfield setup.

Happy to have the chat but I dont see why its so incredulous that I would question buying a lower rated player than the one we currently have. I would sooner have an upgrade or a premier league player. 

We need a DCM and I don't think Conor is borderline PL material pushed further forward and he absolutely isn't a reliable DCM. I'm not going to argue with people that bring up DCM lack of attacking stats because they don't understand the position and probably think Makalele and Kante were/are rubbish

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

We need a DCM and I don't think Conor is borderline PL material pushed further forward because he absolutely isn't a reliable DCM. I'm not going to argue with people that bring up DCM lack of attacking stats because they don't understand the position and probably think Makalele and Kante were/are rubbish

Fine, if you want to invent what I think knock yourself out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Leeds fans are under the belief he was offered 25k and turned them down.

This is all happening play by play just as there fans feared would happen.

Actually feel sorry for them.

Looks like he's going to be leaving soon

We need to beat this out of you. That or your autocorrect changed from “I can’t wait to see the look on their scummy, entitled faces”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You made a ridiculous comparison. I'm not the only one who pointed it out

Comparing a new signing to the player he is meant to be replacing/ be back up for doesn't seem ridiculous to me. If you thought it was then just take your own advice and dont bother arguing with me.

Anyway I hope other folks find the stats helpful. Shrug.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Comparing a new signing to the player he is meant to be replacing/ be back up for doesn't seem ridiculous to me. If you thought it was then just take your own advice and dont bother arguing with me.

Anyway I hope other folks find the stats helpful. Shrug.

Peace. I'm feeling cranky today. Bad sleep and work. Do have a look at 18/19 stats though. Was played a lot at AM. Lot of times in the pocket behind Abraham. I think this is his best role but as said I think we need better but I'd rather he played further forward as don't think he can shield the back 4 even close to as well as Whelan did consistently. Also set pieces inflates attacking stats 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/conor-hourihane/leistungsdaten/spieler/61653

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

we have only won 15 games in the prem 4 times since the turn of the millennium and all of those resulted in 6th place finishes.

The scary thing is you pretty much need 15 wins to scrape 10th now

Remarkable that. Didn't really think about it, just thought 30 points just from wins didn't sound like much/enough to stay up so said 15!

6 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Assuming we are looking at him as a DM, anchor of a three, then why would we buy a player who is worse than our current best option in that position (Conor)?

If we are going to spend money then we should buy players who will improve us, not make us worse.

His stats
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/270446/Show/Kalvin-Phillips

like for like Conor
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134172/Show/Conor-Hourihane

Kalvin is a worse version of Conor in just about every stat. I mean sure he could improve, but why roll the dice on that when we could get someone better?

Phillips is ten times the player. Couldn't give a hoot what some numbers say. There was people saying on here last season Hourihane was better than Grealish and McGinn because he's a stats machine. Gets in heads far too much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We need a DCM and I don't think Conor is borderline PL material pushed further forward and he absolutely isn't a reliable DCM. I'm not going to argue with people that bring up DCM lack of attacking stats because they don't understand the position and probably think Makalele and Kante were/are rubbish

Not 'Junk'?    

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Obviously panic, but I meant do they think he will leave. 

If Twatter is anything to go by, they do, yes. After all the crap they've been through down the years, they are more cynical than we are. And the cynicism gene is twitching hard right now in the immediate aftermath of finally getting a good manager, only just missing out, etc. Only logical that the Chairman would choose to throw it all away in the face of such progress, or so the narrative appears to run...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

If Twatter is anything to go by, they do, yes. After all the crap they've been through down the years, they are more cynical than we are. And the cynicism gene is twitching hard right now in the immediate aftermath of finally getting a good manager, only just missing out, etc. Only logical that the Chairman would choose to throw it all away in the face of such progress, or so the narrative appears to run...

Any other given day I’d like to see Leeds keep him. It’s shite when clubs poach up and coming stars from other clubs. I always felt sorry for Southampton . They were in the verge of challenging the top four imo, but had their team ripped apart. I’d love us to sign him though. Not to spite Leeds, but because I think he will be a top player .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Peace. I'm feeling cranky today. Bad sleep and work. Do have a look at 18/19 stats though. Was played a lot at AM. Lot of times in the pocket behind Abraham. I think this is his best role but as said I think we need better but I'd rather he played further forward as don't think he can shield the back 4 even close to as well as Whelan did consistently. Also set pieces inflates attacking stats 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/conor-hourihane/leistungsdaten/spieler/61653

Fair do's . Same, I was rushed typing walking out the door at work :) Good point about the stats.  Cheers!

Â