Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What price did I quote?  Please show me, cause I am confused now. 

I just don't understand the problem. I compared one of the best DM's for his generation to Phillips and made the point he was rather expensive to the quality we were getting. 

The scouting team would of watched all of his games and analysed in detail his performances, strengths and weaknesses . How many games of Phillips have you watched to get to your conclusion ( not a dig just interested) If they reckon he is worth it so be it. If not we move on simples . Im easy with this approach of ours and trust them until proven otherwise.

They would of scouted a lot of players for every position we need cover/replacement for and fitting into where we are currently  at as a newly promoted championship club. They maybe reached a conclusion that he is the best fit and most attainable perhaps ? 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

The scouting team would of watched all of his games and analysed in detail his performances, strengths and weaknesses . How many games of Phillips have you watched to get to your conclusion ( not a dig just interested) If they reckon he is worth it so be it. If not we move on simples . Im easy with this approach of ours and trust them until proven otherwise.

They would of scouted a lot of players for every position we need cover/replacement for and fitting into where we are currently  at as a newly promoted championship club. They maybe reached a conclusion that he is the best fit and most attainable perhaps ? 

Ok?

For what it's worth I think everyone largely trusts the club when it comes to football matters. I rarely think I know any better, but it would be a boring football forum if we didn't actually throw out the small stuff once in a while. And some of the small stuff definately is that championship players are getting very expensive relative to what you can find abroad. People are talking like £ 30 million for Phillips is normal money these days. £ 30 **** million. I'm not even sure how many players ever that has moved for that amount of money. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Kalvin Philips is made for the Premier League. Bielsa has cut and polished the raw attributes he was born with .... He will become a Villa icon if we sign him.

Sell him The Project, Deano. 

24 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Kalvin Philips is made for the Premier League. Bielsa has cut and polished the raw attributes he was born with .... He will become a Villa icon if we sign him.

I agree. He'd be an amazing signing. Do it.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What price did I quote?  Please show me, cause I am confused now. 

I just don't understand the problem. I compared one of the best DM's for his generation to Phillips and made the point he was rather expensive to the quality we were getting. 

In summary:

- You were saying that 30mil was too much for Phillips

- You compared him unfavourably to Kante. (he's not exactly Kante, or something similar)

- 30 mil in today's market would not get Kante, you'd be looking at more than twice that for a player of that level. So, it's not a fair or realistic comparison.

That's close to it. But the point for me is that I expect exceptional quality for £30 million. And it's definately available abroad. 

But I will admit I rather fancy having an English core in the team, so that's the big pull for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's close to it. But the point for me is that I expect exceptional quality for £30 million. And it's definately available abroad. 

But I will admit I rather fancy having an English core in the team, so that's the big pull for me. 

You’d expect a Seri for close to 30 million wouldn’t you? 

Anyway we’re not paying 30 million for Philips. We will probably get him for 20.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yep, I do quite like this part to be honest. Reminds me of Little / Gregory era Villa. 

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder how much he actually wants a move, to us or anyone. Isn’t he Leeds through and through? 

Might not play with the same passion and vigour anywhere else 

you know what, this has crossed my mind a few times.

He's Leeds born and bred, through and through, and coupled with that the rumours seem to imply he wants to stay at Leeds.

If he wanted to leave, fair enough, but if he doesnt, i wonder if he would settle at a club he didnt want to join? (and play to the same level)

dunno.

sure its a minor issue, but did cross my mind also.

Edited by MaVilla

I'm not sure this will happen as they are just about to be taken over by the PSG owners. Like ours last year,  they will want to make a statement by refusing to sell their best player. Also, like Grealish, he isn't keen to move on from his boyhood club. 

Edited by Made In Aston

I see a very similar situation with this kid as with Grealish. I don't think Leeds will let him go because he will be instrumental in their push to come up next season. Rightly so if that's the way it goes with him, as it's refreshing to see young players want to make their mark at their home clubs. He probably see's this period as Leeds best time to come back up. They are getting closer and if he left now and they some how managed promotion next year it will haunt him. For that reason I don't see this as a goer. 

Yes I agree with these sentiments, just not sure on this fella. If he loves the club he's already at and doesn't want to better himself we must sign someone who wants to play at the top level in the PL. 

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I see a very similar situation with this kid as with Grealish. I don't think Leeds will let him go because he will be instrumental in their push to come up next season. Rightly so if that's the way it goes with him, as it's refreshing to see young players want to make their mark at their home clubs. He probably see's this period as Leeds best time to come back up. They are getting closer and if he left now and they some how managed promotion next year it will haunt him. For that reason I don't see this as a goer. 

I think they have to sell him to be able to build a stronger squad. Injuries cost them last season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think they have to sell him.

I don't know about that tbh. What I do know though is that if they do have to sell, they will rinse the buyer for every penny and rightly so. 

I mean quite honestly, I think he's an exceptional talent. So yes I'd pay £30m for him. As I would Tuanzebe or Grealish, so I'm not going to get my arse in my hand because he's a championship player currently. 

He will end up in the Premier League and we will rue the day we missed out, if we do. 

• Like 3

Â