Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we play like we did yesterday until the end of the season I genuinely think we could force 9 - 10 points.

5 massive cup finals!

Its just the goals for me, we do look more solid but we need to score at least two to win games and it looks so unlikely currently

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we play like we did yesterday until the end of the season I genuinely think we could force 9 - 10 points.

5 massive cup finals!

Really?

No clear cut chances yesterday.

We struggled with the same problems yesterday that we've seen since after the break. We aren't looking like scoring.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I assume you mean that in 2009-10 the team in 18th had 30 or 31 points and the team in 17th had 34 or more, but that doesn’t mean that 31 points would’ve been enough to stay up. If that team had won fewer points then another team, potentially the one in 18th, would’ve won more. You can’t just add on or chalk off points without reassigning them somewhere.

In my hypothetical example, I assumed the points not won by the 17th club had been taken by a club or clubs above them. The 17th club was West Ham on 35 points. Suppose Villa had beaten them twice, rather than losing away and drawing at home, then West Ham would have had 31points and still stayed up. Incidentally, Villa would have finished 5th not 6th.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Thanks 1

Tomorrow’s game is huge, I’d say if Watford lost that hopefully we’d have a better chance of staying up. If they drew then we’d still hav a great chance. If Watford won and we didn’t get anything out of Utd then things would look tough. But let’s wait and see. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

It's mental that people are saying Bournemouth are down when they are on the same points as us, with an easier set of fixtures to come. We have no win in 9, and they are capable of scoring regardless of opposition. 

This is either delusion or arrogance. 

They by no means have easier fixtures than us.

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

We lost 2-0 with 28% possession against a team with nothing to play for.

Our loss at Liverpool is not something to build on. Its something to be embarrassed about.

Who do you think we are, Chelsea? A good performance away at the best team in Europe is definitely something to build on for a relegation candidate.

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Who do you think we are, Chelsea? A good performance away at the best team in Europe is definitely something to build on for a relegation candidate.

Listen I thought we did ok but Liverpool clearly did not look that bothered. They were there for the taking and got embarrassed by City days before.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Our loss at Liverpool is not something to build on. Its something to be embarrassed about.

If that's what you got from the game I feel sorry for you, it certainly doesnt tell the story of what we can build from.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

tom cruise what GIF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villa94 said:

Yeah if we don’t get good results against them and palace we deserve to go down 🥺

yes against two teams with zero to play for we have to get 6 points. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I'll be watching Norwich - Watford like it's a Villa game.

This!!

I woke up this morning and I was already thinking about the game as if Villa were playing. Even if Norwich can get a draw it will mean one of their better games to go.

Looking at Everton (Awful last night), Palace (inconsistent), West Ham (If already safe) Arsenal (In form but play in the cup semi on the Saturday night before and may have little to play for) we cant argue we haven't got an opportunity to stay up we just need to get out of this Norwich/Watford game week with the game growing by no more than a point

I’ll be honest, I’d be very tempted to keep our more important players out of the Man Utd game. I don’t see us getting anything from it and so I’d be targeting the Crystal Palace fixture to have a fully fit and fresh starting 11, it’s a fixture we can win and we then have a further 4 days until the Everton fixture, another fixture we can target for a win. Between the UTD game and Palace we only have Friday & Saturday, and we already have Grealish & Mings nursing knocks. It’s all about those final four fixtures for me, they are the games we can realistically target to gain the required points. Little point trying to go toe to toe with a flying Man Utd and risking players for the following two weeks. Get them rested, get them fully prepared for the Palace game. Win the Palace game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’ll be honest, I’d be very tempted to keep our more important players out of the Man Utd game. I don’t see us getting anything from it and so I’d be targeting the Crystal Palace fixture to have a fully fit and fresh starting 11, it’s a fixture we can win and we then have a further 4 days until the Everton fixture, another fixture we can target for a win. Between the UTD game and Palace we only have Friday & Saturday, and we already have Grealish & Mings nursing knocks. It’s all about those final four fixtures for me, they are the games we can realistically target to gain the required points. Little point trying to go toe to toe with a flying Man Utd and risking players for the following two weeks. Get them rested, get them fully prepared for the Palace game. Win the Palace game. 

Problem is we need something from the United game. We won't get anything, but we have to try. Otherwise with Norwich and Newcastle at home, Watford could realistically be 7 points clear of us before we play Palace. Even if we then beat Palace (which is miles from a given) we'll still essentially  be down. 

2 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Problem is we need something from the United game. We won't get anything, but we have to try. Otherwise with Norwich and Newcastle at home, Watford could realistically be 7 points clear of us before we play Palace. Even if we then beat Palace (which is miles from a given) we'll still essentially  be down. 

I certainly think if Watford fail to beat norwich (and we are only 2 points max behind them) then resting our better players against Man Utd would be a decent idea. Playing last this week might work out good for us.