Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

It's mental that people are saying Bournemouth are down when they are on the same points as us, with an easier set of fixtures to come. We have no win in 9, and they are capable of scoring regardless of opposition. 

This is either delusion or arrogance. 

I just look at Watford's squad and i think they are better than both us and Bournemouth

13 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

It's mental that people are saying Bournemouth are down when they are on the same points as us, with an easier set of fixtures to come. We have no win in 9, and they are capable of scoring regardless of opposition. 

They’ve been much worse than us and they have Spurs, Leicester, Man City and in form Southampton (derby). The only game they have that is winnable is Everton away at the end. We have Palace and West Ham.

15 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Actually bournmouth have a horrendous run of games coming up

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Actually bournmouth have a horrendous run of games coming up

To be honest all four of us have awful run of games (Watford, us, Bmouth and Norwich) not only because of the teams we are playing but mainly because we are all awful.  I'm getting to the stage that it's going to be a lucky goal or something bizarre that is going to be the difference.  I mean if they could, the Watford vs Norwich game would end up both losing, that's how bad us four teams are.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To be honest all four of us have awful run of games (Watford, us, Bmouth and Norwich) not only because of the teams we are playing but mainly because we are all awful.  I'm getting to the stage that it's going to be a lucky goal or something bizarre that is going to be the difference.  I mean if they could, the Watford vs Norwich game would end up both losing, that's how bad us four teams are.

Norwich are the worst- I think Watford will beat them.

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Norwich are the worst- I think Watford will beat them.

Not really disputing that, I just dont know these days as Watford have won 6 and Norwich 5 games.  Watford would've been cut adrift if it wasnt for a 3 week period under Pearson's "New Manager Bump" from 22nd December to 12 January when they won four games out of five. 

The rest of the season through 28 games they won 2 games bizarrely beating Liverpool and Norwich, and in total only took 15 points....that new manager bump really made a difference to them and now they are back as bad as the rest of us.

I'd say a vast amount hinges on tomorrow's game - Watford should beat Norwich, but you have to think Norwich will be desperate to achieve something from this wrecked season and will not be afraid of Watford. God knows the result - but I have this feeling it'll be an absolute tonking 4-0 Watford and we all rush to the championship thread for next season contemplating enormous change at Villa once again. How cheerful. 

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

4 points behind Watford means we need to win 2 just to get out of the bottom 3. Can anyone see that happening? Realistically?

Still not convinced I can see Watford winning against Norwich as weird as that sounds.  The more I look at Watford and watch the stats, they are worse Norwich as my above post shows.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'd say a vast amount hinges on tomorrow's game - Watford should beat Norwich, but you have to think Norwich will be desperate to achieve something from this wrecked season and will not be afraid of Watford. God knows the result - but I have this feeling it'll be an absolute tonking 4-0 Watford and we all rush to the championship thread for next season contemplating enormous change at Villa once again. How cheerful. 

Why should Watford beat Norwich? re my post above on stats

It's last chance saloon for Norwich, fail to win an they are down. 10 points behind with 12 to play for.

Win and they are 4 points behind and still likely to go down but with at least a prayer. These are 2 dreadful teams playing without confidence and in shocking form.

The pressure is immense on both sides. Could as easily finish 4-1 as 1-4, or maybe more likely 0-0. Both teams are terrible at attacking and terrible at defending. On paper Watford should be much better, but they are not. 

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why should Watford beat Norwich? re my post above on stats

Oh yeah cheers for that - for sure it's not so simple, just that Watford's own survival hangs on them beating Norwich, they simply cannot afford to not take 3 points. So I do think they will win, in terms of one match with such stakes in play - but yes over a longer period there's no clear winner. 

• Thanks 1

It’s either Watford or ourselves to join Bournemouth & Norwich for relegation. We’ve improved considerably in stopping the amount of goals and chances we were conceding pre-lockdown, our problem is up front scoring goals. Really not much between ourselves and Watford now, I think they look more capable of putting the ball in the net because they have Deeney & Sarr. Their big opportunity comes in the next 3 fixtures, and the next fixture in particular. I’m 99% sure they’ll beat Norwich, it’d be a big surprise if they get anything less than 3pts. That’d see them go 4pts clear of us, 5pts when you consider goal difference. We’d really have to get something from the UTD game on Thursday if Watford win the Norwich game. We do have games coming up where the opposition will have little to play for other than pride or a place or two, and that’s important to remember. If we can maintain the type of performance we saw at Liverpool then we can win games in our final 4 fixtures.  I thought McGinn looked more like his old self at Liverpool, and Luiz continues to be a revelation since the restart. If we could just get a forward into some sort of respectable form we could be so much more confident. As it stands we’ve seen no goal scoring form from Davis, Samatta, ElGhazi, Trezeguet, Grealish. One of those HAS to step up in the next 5 fixtures.......please!

• Like 2

This week is huge, 2 Watford wins and a united defeat for us could mean we are 7 behind by the time we play palace so vital that they dont get more than 3 points from them 2 games

I still think we will end up going to West Ham a point or 2 behind needing to win and hopeing for an Arsenal win

12 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

This week is huge, 2 Watford wins and a united defeat for us could mean we are 7 behind by the time we play palace so vital that they dont get more than 3 points from them 2 games

I still think we will end up going to West Ham a point or 2 behind needing to win and hopeing for an Arsenal win

I'm still convinced this will be a final day when final places are confirmed.  Watford winning two games on the trot doesnt seem fathomable given my above post but they are only playing Norwich and Newcastle but if they get nothing from them then you have to believe they get nothing for the rest of the season against WHam, Man City and Arsenal....then we have a great chance but again our poor form who knows.  A lucky win here or there could be the decider.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Not sure why everyone seems to think Arsenal will beat Watford. They’re still that soft weak side that match up perfectly for Watford to bully and win against

Arsenal (somehow) aren't actually that far off CL now if it goes down to 5th. 6 points off Man. United although I can't see them finishing above them. They still need to be in europe just for some extra finance.

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I just look at Watford's squad and i think they are better than both us and Bournemouth

Haven't they scored about 8 less goals than us? You'd think an attacking third options of Pererya, Deeney, Andre Gray, Welbeck and Sarr would comfortably outscore us over the season but they've only actually scored 2 goals in last 5 games. To me Delefeou getting injured was a massive blow and has been reflected in their results since so I'm not convicned they'll win 2-3 games in the run in like people think they will given their lack of goals and it's a mediocre defence.

Edit: The perception on here is Doucoure is some all conquering midfield powerhouse who runs games from start to finish. Go on a Watford forum and they're all moaning he's turned up for five games this season so less than Luiz. Sarr hasn't done anything since the Liverpool game.

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/squad-rebuild.57170/

Edited by VillaChris

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal (somehow) aren't actually that far off CL now if it goes down to 5th. 6 points off Man. United although I can't see them finishing above them. They still need to be in europe just for some extra finance.

Its true the gooners are in good form last few weeks surprised they beat Wolves tbf but they can be just as equally shocking and I wouldnt want to be counting on them to do us any favours. P.S. Even though it is getting to that desperate stage now for us & if that scenario was offered to me now (us needing to beat WH and needing Watford to lose vs. Arsenal in a final day shoot-out) id take it because I think we may end up gone before then.

Encouraging display yesterday but how often do we replicate a performance and even if we do, take advantage and win? Hope this team can show some character again and muster an unthinkable win or two. Im fully behind them as you have to be but still expecting relegation. 

• Like 1