Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I don’t think we can assume anything before Watford Vs Norwich game. That’s even more important than our game with Man Utd (as it’s easier for Norwich to do something against Watford than us against Utd. 
If that result happen then we’re suddenly more likely to stay up. We need Norwich to win. 
If Burnley can also stop West Ham then I think I will watch the Utd game without much pressure.

If Norwich win then we might only need 3-4 points to secure safety. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Yes.

I think we can. West ham and brighton are safe. B'mouth and norwich are done. Watford will get 4 points more max. 

I think we can get to 33, I just doubt it will be enough.

Imagine saying in August 32 or 33 points was all we needed to stay up in the league (significantly less than a point a game). I doubt anyone would believe we'd massively struggle to make that.

Even if we stay up it will still mean a huge task for next season. Reminds me of all those seasons when we'd scrape staying up on 38 points with Benteke having his golden scoring runs. When he left people thought we'd improve the overall quality of the team but him going simply created a massive void in the final third.

You take a Grealish out of a team that can barely muster 30 points in a league season and you need to perform miracles in transfer market to get the 11 into the 40-45 points range.

43 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think we can assume anything before Watford Vs Norwich game. That’s even more important than our game with Man Utd (as it’s easier for Norwich to do something against Watford than us against Utd. 
If that result happen then we’re suddenly more likely to stay up. We need Norwich to win. 
If Burnley can also stop West Ham then I think I will watch the Utd game without much pressure.

If Norwich win then we might only need 3-4 points to secure safety. 

Watford drawing with Norwich and Newcastle is fine by me. Remember they are a low scoring team so draws can always happen with lack of goals. That gets them to 30 points and I think there's a fair chance they'll lose their last 3. Even another draw to get them to 31 and they could still get heavy defeats to Man. City and Arsenal which would knock their GD.

Seems to be a few still trying to get us to stay up by praying Watford lose every single game left and we just get one draw and stay up on 28 points but even with how bad the bottom 4 is that's not a realistic prospect. To stay up we're going to need minimum 5 points.

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Yes.

I think we can. West ham and brighton are safe. B'mouth and norwich are done. Watford will get 4 points more max. 

We've the same points as Bournemouth but their done ? Hate to break it to you but if Watford get 4 more points we are done.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Watford drawing with Norwich and Newcastle is fine by me. Remember they are a low scoring team so draws can always happen with lack of goals. That gets them to 30 points and I think there's a fair chance they'll lose their last 3. Even another draw to get them to 31 and they could still get heavy defeats to Man. City and Arsenal which would knock their GD.

Seems to be a few still trying to get us to stay up by praying Watford lose every single game left and we just get one draw and stay up on 28 points but even with how bad the bottom 4 is that's not a realistic prospect. To stay up we're going to need minimum 5 points.

Minimum 5 ? Has anyone ever stayed up with 32 ? Not been funny, genuinely curious.

26 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Minimum 5 ? Has anyone ever stayed up with 32 ? Not been funny, genuinely curious.

No they haven’t. Nearest was West Brom in 2004-5 who stayed up with 34. That’s not to say it won’t be enough this season though. In 2009-10, 31 points would have kept you up (even though the 17th club actually got more than that) so there can be seasons when very low points totals are enough for survival and this looks like being ione of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Not sure why everyone seems to think Arsenal will beat Watford. They’re still that soft weak side that match up perfectly for Watford to bully and win against

Pretty sure Arsenal havent lost to them since Deeney came out and called them soft

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

No they haven’t. Nearest was West Brom in 2004-5 who stayed up with 34. That’s not to say it won’t be enough this season though. In 2009-10, 31 points would have kept you up (even though the 17th club actually got more than that) so there can be seasons when very low points totals are enough for survival and this looks like being ione of them.

I assume you mean that in 2009-10 the team in 18th had 30 or 31 points and the team in 17th had 34 or more, but that doesn’t mean that 31 points would’ve been enough to stay up. If that team had won fewer points then another team, potentially the one in 18th, would’ve won more. You can’t just add on or chalk off points without reassigning them somewhere.

Edited by fightoffyour

Over the last eleven games Watford are the only team who have shown worse form than us, even Norwich have picked up more points, so not sure if they will be bullying anyone.

Incidentally over the same eleven games Arsenal have been the fourth best side in the league, apart from those two defeats after lockdown to Man City and Brighton they've been in good form, they've just won four in a row.

It's mental that people are saying Bournemouth are down when they are on the same points as us, with an easier set of fixtures to come. We have no win in 9, and they are capable of scoring regardless of opposition. 

This is either delusion or arrogance. 

• Like 1