Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

They are playing ok. More solid than us. Better with the ball and at least carrying a threat. We are in the worst form

They have been pressing so much higher up the field and actually attacking the game, unlike us. On another day they would've taken points from Spurs, though we can say the same from both games vs Spurs too.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

I completely agree.  Reading these boards, it’s as if the teams around us like West Ham are great teams.  West Ham are all bark no bite and are awful.

I agree that West Ham look horrendous.

Brighton look solid though. And i think Watford got enough quality in their squad.

It's between us, Bournemouth and West Ham.

• Like 3

Most important thing is if West Ham and Bournemouth lose majority in run in the points required to stay up will be much lower.

We have next to no chance if we need say 37 points to stay up. Still a chance if it's 34 which the odd team has stayed up on in the past.

Looks like it'll be 2 from 3 joining Norwich. We have a chance, but the fixture list amongst other things means it's a small one.

Massive game against Toon. We all knew staying up would be tough, this is gonna take the biscuit though!

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We need to go there for a win tomorrow. 

We'll know soon enough  by how we start. Seems it's a trend now for us to be really slow starters in away games, Burnley was last one where we came flying out of the blocks.

I reckon the Toon game will be really tough.... It's like Bruce's Champion's League final. Beat us Newcastle will be safe and he can give us the middle finger.

I hope we are prepared for it.

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I reckon the Toon game will be really tough.... It's like Bruce's Champion's League final. Beat us Newcastle will be safe and he can give us the middle finger.

I hope we are prepared for it.

In an empty stadium he will still try and find a way to to shut up a few people ;) 

3 hours ago, jim said:

And little old Aston Villa spent £150m+ and already had Grealish conservative £50m and John McGinn £25m. What’s your point?

What Brighton have got is a cohesive system and  a fighting spirit, something we lack in both departments.

I think the point is, they've spent this on top of 3 year established PL squad and not part of a thrown together 1-window full squad overhaul.

• Like 1

The initial post-lockdown form shown by the bottom six teams suggests that Watford and Brighton have enough fight and organisation to get themselves clear from relegation - Brighton may already have done enough.

Of the remaining four, Norwich are clearly not up to the task and will go down. Villa, Bournemouth and West Ham look equally woeful and it is probably a bit of a lottery which two will go down. I don’t feel able to say confidently that Villa will either stay up or go down.

I see very little to suggest that if we stay up we will be better able to cope next season, so these are worrying times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

The initial post-lockdown form shown by the bottom six teams suggests that Watford and Brighton have enough fight and organisation to get themselves clear from relegation - Brighton may already have done enough.

Of the remaining four, Norwich are clearly not up to the task and will go down. Villa, Bournemouth and West Ham look equally woeful and it is probably a bit of a lottery which two will go down. I don’t feel able to say confidently that Villa will either stay up or go down.

I see very little to suggest that if we stay up we will be better able to cope next season, so these are worrying times.

I won’t say Watford are put of it. They have fight in them but their form isn’t the best. I think they’re likely to win against Burnley but if somehow they lost and we win things might be different.

5 hours ago, jim said:

I would hazard a guess they haven’t spent anywhere near what we have over the last few years. 

They definitely have. A good chunk more in fact. Which isn’t to say we shouldn’t compete or to make excuses but let’s not think we have an expensive squad by PL standards. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Watford are so bad - and yet I agree they will stay up. You have to be a very poor team to go down as proven by our years circling the drain before the last time. If we do drop we just can’t complain.

Edited by Adam2003

Looking at our fixtures... Newcastle (a), Wolves (h), Liverpool (a), (Manchester Unted (h), Palace (a), Everton (a), Arsenal (h), West Ham (a) ... and our rivals fixtures...

Watford... Burnley (a), Southampton (h), Chelsea (a), Norwich (h), Newcastle (h) West Ham (a) Man City (h), Arsenal (a)..

Norwich... Everton (h), Arsenal (a), Brighton (h), Watford (a) West Ham (h), Chelsea (a), Burnley (h), Man City (a)

West Ham... Chelsea (h), Newcastle (a), Burnley (h), Norwich (a), Watford (h), Manchester Untied (a), Aston Villa (h)

Brighton... Manchester United (h), Norwich (a), Liverpool (h), Man City (h), Southampton (a), Newcastle (h), Burnley (a)

Bournemouth... Wolves (a), Newcastle (h), Manchester United (a). Spurs (h), Leicester (h), Man City (a), Southampton (a), Everton (a)

I think if we can somehow get four points from the next four games it might just give us a chance going into the last four... West Ham's look easier than I thought, Chelsea and Man Utd the only games in which they will be clear second favorites... Other teams I'm not sure about they could all just as easily go on a losing streak as go on a good run.