Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

only positive is I guess a Bruce side would be the one game you’d pick to maybe turn things around. Its Smiths job to get a reaction tomorrow, entering last chance saloon now. 

But we play Wolves, Liverpool and Man Utd after. That's the problem.

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Watching the pressing and competitiveness of a well organised And disciplined Brighton side so far this half just highlights how poor our general play is and how bad we are set up. This is what I expected of a Smith side to look like rather than the clueless tripe served up since October/ November. 

Yet we took 4 points off Brighton this season. watching every game week in, week out then I reckon their fans would be far more critical of their side. I haven't watched a single Brighton game this season so don't know what they are like. I don't really know what my point is anymore. Just want some balance to the argument.

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Yet we took 4 points off Brighton this season. watching every game week in, week out then I reckon their fans would be far more critical of their side. I haven't watched a single Brighton game this season so don't know what they are like. I don't really know what my point is anymore. Just want some balance to the argument.

This may be a one-off for Brighton in terms of performance so far but it’s the way they’ve set themselves up positionally when in/out of possession, their discipline, collective cohesion, work rate and all round pressing and that’s impressed me so far. All traits I expect as a minimum from Villa yet all too often lacking. 

• Like 1

We definitely have to be up there with the worst in the division when it comes to pressing, but then I’d say we must be up there for fitness levels too the way they’re all blowing out their arses after 20 minutes.

We’ve been like this for years though, it’s either a run of poor managers or something more systemic/ingrained.

• Like 1

We cannot all be like Plop and Citeh with the high tempo pressing game but Brighton have shown me in 45mins what we lack and how poor our all round play has become as the seasons progressed. I feel a lot of our issues are done to the way we play and approach games rather than personnel. 

• Like 1

Just now, thabucks said:

We cannot all be like Plop and Citeh with the high tempo pressing game but Brighton have shown me in 45mins what we lack and how poor our all round play has become as the seasons progressed. I feel a lot of our issues are done to the way we play and approach games rather than personnel. 

Agreed. Very impressed with Brighton from what i've seen.

A coach that knows what he is doing.

On 21/06/2020 at 12:57, PussEKatt said:

You have hit the nail on the head there.That IS the difference between staying up and going down,the phrase "Such a well drilled team" You are obviously not talking about us.

I have never once thought we are a very drilled team under smith. We wete under bruce. We could most games see a game out and looked solid at times. Under smith we just look like a defensive shambles. 

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We’ve been like this for years though, it’s either a run of poor managers or something more systemic/ingrained.

I'd say we've been like it since we first played in the 10-0-0 formation back in the day.... 

villa_best_formation__1580805714_86_140_

• Haha 1

Yeah, Brighton aren't anything special in terms of personnel. It's the coaching that enables them to stay in this game against a far superior team. They're organised, work hard and look fit, yet they also try to attack under Potter and would be in front if Maupay's penalty had been better.

It's scandalous we're as bad as we are to be perfectly honest.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Looking at Brighton's first eleven it's comfortably better than ours, only a few of our players would get in their first team.

Hmm, possibly. Their GK is better than any of ours, I also like Trossard, Mooy, Maupay. Propper and Dunk are decent, experienced players too. But I think Grealish, McGinn (at his best), Mings, Samatta, even Luiz and El Ghazi, are individually good enough to push for a start for them. Their players look better for them because they play with an identity unlike us.

Dale Stephens is underrated, he's more consistent than any of our midfielders, March always looks a threat as well. I think of our players the obvious three of Grealish, Mings, and McGinn would the ones who'd stand the best chance, maybe El Ghazi instead of March, not sure though.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Brighton's player looks better than our players because they are coached better.

Put them in our team and they would look out of their depth.

Agreed. If they were playing hoofball like in our team we wouldn't even know half of them are on the pitch!