Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 minutes ago, KHV said:

I have zero interest in the remainder of the season

I really have totally gone off all football during this lockdown

I am almost totally put off by the whole concept and morals of the modern game

This lockdown may have been the final nail in the coffin for me

I feel totally disconnected from the whole thing 

That's interesting because I'm excited for the league to restart. I've been watching the Bundesliga and enjoy the football  but I'm not vested in the league like I am with the Premier & Championship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It would appear that the league will be asking players to make their own way to grounds, in their own vehicles, alone and potentially already in their kits.

This adds a whole new level of excitement to project restart. How many teams will have players that got lost and arrived late, who will be first to collect a speeding fine, points on their licence or a driving ban, will we get live coverage of Moise Kean and his flat tyre on the hard shoulder of the M62 and how far into the season will we be when Alan Parry sadly announces to viewers on Pick that "Dele Alli isn't available for today's game as he's forgotten to bring his boots"?

How many will stop off at motorway breakfast and dinner joints and forgot they were meant to play football and realise they were there for way way longer than what they should of been.

Football bellys will be whatsup with that one.

I can also picture a 51st state style Tyrone Mings doing a Samuel L Jackson, cruising along being stopped by a motorway cop for Smoking his car out for enjoying a joint on the way to a match.

Edited by Dave-R

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

How many will stop off at motorway breakfast and dinner joints and forgot they were meant to play football and realise they were there for way way longer than what they should of been.

Football bellys will be whatsup with that one.

I can also picture a 51st state style Tyrone Mings doing a Samuel L Jackson, cruising along being stopped by a motorway cop for Smoking his car out for enjoying a joint on the way to a match.

I think Sheffield Utd are probably the best team in the league playing three at the back, very well drilled in what they do and they’ve been doing it for a long time. I think the onus is on us to come up with a system that can can go some way to countering the main strengths of what they do. For me that would require Villa to play with two front men, with Keinan Davis being tasked to disrupt that back 3 as much as possible, stick amongst them like glue. If Samatta plays off of Davis then he should get chances. Grealish & McGinn can push up and leave two deeper laying midfielders, I’d go with Nakamba and Drinkwater. I go with drinkwater because we don’t really have any other options as a sitting CM, Hourihane definitely not someone who can do that. Luiz can replace Drinkwater if/when he blows up. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Fair play Wedge, appreciate your response and apologies for the curtness of mine.

I would add that Nyland this season has been much better than the Nyland we witnessed last season.

No doubt, by saying I would prefer Reina over him I wasn't saying I don't rate Nyland, he's been a bit of a hero for us at times considering he was left out in the rain to some extent.

10 hours ago, KHV said:

I must say I don't really understand this thinking. To me football coming back is a relief from the everyday corona stuff. A chance to think of something else except this misery. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d probably give Nyland a chance. Reina is just too casual and it’s been costing us. 

I'd stick with Reina.  With no fans, i think the better footballing sides will come through.  I am seeing it in Germany, the teams that can pass are the ones who are coming out on top as there is a lack of intensity and pressure being put on them.

For that simple reason id stick with Reina, he is a great passer and Nyland is awful with his feet.  

10 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I must say I don't really understand this thinking. To me football coming back is a relief from the everyday corona stuff. A chance to think of something else except this misery. 

For me football coming back does nothing. In Sweden or the PL.

The return is a twisted demented form of football made out of greed. It's reckless and with new rules and contorted formats to a season that has already finished.

Start again by all means, preferably when it's "safe" but do it with a new season and cancel, void or whatever this previous season. It is dead.

I hope the restart fails, and if that means we are relegated on PPG, league position or a coin toss then so be it.

Obviously I want us to remain in the PL, my interest in football will not survive us playing in the Championship again. But nah, this restart can go **** itself.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, sne said:

For me football coming back does nothing. In Sweden or the PL.

The return is a twisted demented form of football made out of greed. It's reckless and with new rules and contorted formats to a season that has already finished.

Start again by all means, preferably when it's "safe" but do it with a new season and cancel, void or whatever this previous season. It is dead.

I hope the restart fails, and if that means we are relegated on PPG, league position or a coin toss then so be it.

Obviously I want us to remain in the PL, my interest in football will not survive us playing in the Championship again. But nah, this restart can go **** itself.

Agreed, I cant wait until football comes back as I love it. 

What they are bringing back to complete the season isnt football, there can be no argument about that. 

I understand they want to complete the season and while I dont agree, that's fair enough for them because of the money situation.  But let's be clear, this isnt football coming back, it's the 4am getting home completely drunk, havent done any shopping and trying to make myself a meal and only having spam, one egg, a crust of a loaf and ketchup and that having to do until I can get a proper meal in the morning when I can get out of the house.  It's going to taste horrible, certainly not a meal but will fill what is required to fill and let's get past it.........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It would appear that the league will be asking players to make their own way to grounds, in their own vehicles, alone and potentially already in their kits.

This adds a whole new level of excitement to project restart. How many teams will have players that got lost and arrived late, who will be first to collect a speeding fine, points on their licence or a driving ban, will we get live coverage of Moise Kean and his flat tyre on the hard shoulder of the M62 and how far into the season will we be when Alan Parry sadly announces to viewers on Pick that "Dele Alli isn't available for today's game as he's forgotten to bring his boots"?

Sunday League flashbacks.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

How will Danny Drinkwater get to the ground? Another 8 months or so before he gets his licence back.

From memory there are bunch more players who have lost their licences in recent times, most of them for speeding but still.

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

More things to bet on!  

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

I'd stick with Reina.  With no fans, i think the better footballing sides will come through.  I am seeing it in Germany, the teams that can pass are the ones who are coming out on top as there is a lack of intensity and pressure being put on them.

For that simple reason id stick with Reina, he is a great passer and Nyland is awful with his feet.  

Can’t disagree more. Nyland is far better than Reina, it’s one of his attributes. Reina is well past his best and far too slow.

14 hours ago, KHV said:

Exactly the same. Don't get me wrong, I still care about our wonderful club, but everything around that makes me sick.

At 37 Reina is a few years past his physical peak, thats the reality, and I think that’s shown in some of the games. He still has some good attributes, but the mistakes he’s made tell me that his brain hasn’t adjusted to the physical attributes he’s lost, he still thinks like the 28yr old Pepe Reina from what I’ve seen. Nyland, at 29, is in his peak years. He has displayed enough in his performances this season to get the nod from me, and we should show him support and grow his confidence. Reina is fine as back up whilst our other GKs recover from injuries, but backup is as good as it gets for me. He’s off soon anyway, we need to put our confidence into those who are tied to the club. 

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If Steer is fit he should start. He's our second choice, with Heaton being the clear first choice. He's done nothing but prove himself whereas Nyland and Reina have proven they're not up to it.

I agree. It's so easy to forget about Steer because he just doesn't look like he'd be a good keeper, but Heaton aside he's been comfortably our most consistent keeper in recent times.

Reina has made mistake after mistake, flaps at crosses and looks like he's totally comfortable with the ball at his feet but falls apart as soon as he has to do any goalkeeping. Nyland has been good and I think there's a keeper there since he got over his teething problems when he 1st joined, but you can't say he hasn't made a lot of errors since joining. 

Steer has just got on with it, he's small but seems confident to come for crosses, can make saves and pass the ball. Order should be... 

1) Heaton

2) Steer 

3) Nyland 

4) Reina

We know Heaton is out, so Steer should be in unless he's injured, in which case it should be Nyland. Reina should only be a last resort, I imagine he'll retire once his contracts up 

Edited by weedman

14 hours ago, KHV said:

You wouldnt even be on a football site discussing football if you'd of totally gone off the sport.

Were pissed that's what it is, nothing more nothing less.

• Like 1