Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Italy and Spain are now under 100 deaths a day aren't they? I naively thought we'd follow the same path a few weeks after but this government is doing its best not to.

UK was very closely mirroring the curve here in Italy but the gov's actions have been appallingly inept, so the UK curve took off instead. Outside of Lombardy here the numbers are getting really positive with respect to what we've seen. Lazio yesterday only 10 new cases, up from 6 the day before. Judging by how people have been behaving up there I can't see the UK numbers getting under control any time soon.

That said the Premier League's project restart looks ambitious to me, to put it mildly. Serie A will be restarting when things have calmed down enormously more than there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

I had a look into it and the total deaths has increased by 556 deaths but 111 additional deaths today so they must have uplifted previous days.  I’m assuming then how you report daily deaths make the difference either actual deaths or variant to total deaths yesterday.  

Total deaths today is 39,045 on both methods to prove this.

Yesterday total deaths was 38,489 but new deaths today was 111, so 445 deaths must be catch up.

Not according to worldofmeters.

1st of June, 19 days before the restart the UK had 1570 of new cases of Covid-19 infected.

17 days before the BL restart Germany had 1470 of new cases of Covid-19 infected. (It drops to around 1000 after 30th of April)

I'm not saying the UK will catch up to Germany numbers wise but we have to deal with things slowly getting better in the UK as well.

The scary theory to me is the people claiming this is a winter virus, it being calm during the summer and blossom up during the winter.

58 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not according to worldofmeters.

1st of June, 19 days before the restart the UK had 1570 of new cases of Covid-19 infected.

17 days before the BL restart Germany had 1470 of new cases of Covid-19 infected. (It drops to around 1000 after 30th of April)

I'm not saying the UK will catch up to Germany numbers wise but we have to deal with things slowly getting better in the UK as well.

The scary theory to me is the people claiming this is a winter virus, it being calm during the summer and blossom up during the winter.

I think you are not talking about the same thing I am when you have replied to my comments. 

I was talking about deaths reporting yesterday which was saying different numbers and a few of us reconciled those variances in those deaths numbers.  You are talking about infections and Germany comparisons, that's not what we are talking about. 

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

UK was very closely mirroring the curve here in Italy but the gov's actions have been appallingly inept, so the UK curve took off instead. Outside of Lombardy here the numbers are getting really positive with respect to what we've seen. Lazio yesterday only 10 new cases, up from 6 the day before. Judging by how people have been behaving up there I can't see the UK numbers getting under control any time soon.

That said the Premier League's project restart looks ambitious to me, to put it mildly. Serie A will be restarting when things have calmed down enormously more than there. 

Well they are going ahead with the PL whatever, which is bizarre but that seems to be the new norm.  I did though that if teams starting suffering a spike in infections when contact and games started that things would be re-thought but the comments around that if a team has 15 players they still play just means further to what we knew, that they want to finish at all costs, no matter what.  The senior officials are making Donald Trump look normal and after the bizarre photo op last night in front of the Washington church, that's saying something.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think you are not talking about the same thing I am when you have replied to my comments. 

I was talking about deaths reporting yesterday which was saying different numbers and a few of us reconciled those variances in those deaths numbers.  You are talking about infections and Germany comparisons, that's not what we are talking about. 

But isn't daily infection rates a bit more relevant?

People dying could have been infected for a long time. Things aren't the same now as they were 2 months ago.

Things has improved. There is more information, that's why the government have been given us the go ahead.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

People dying could have been infected for a long time. Things aren't the same now as they were 2 months ago.

Things has improved. There is more information, that's why the government have been given us the go ahead.

You are missing the point.  I agree daily infections are important.  My point was that we were talking about deaths in the exchanges and why there was a major variance between what the government was saying and what was being reported.  That's all.  It was strange that the government said 111 but being reported uplift was 556 deaths.  That was the discussion and not which is best to use ie infections or deaths.  We had gone off topic slightly.

Just now, nick76 said:

You are missing the point.  I agree daily infections are important.  My point was that we were talking about deaths in the exchanges and why there was a major variance between what the government was saying and what was being reported.  That's all.  It was strange that the government said 111 but being reported uplift was 556 deaths.  That was the discussion and not which is best to use ie infections or deaths.  We had gone off topic slightly.

That is indeed very strange. Checked worldofmeters just now and it says 111

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

An argument to your point though is that infections arent that relevant either at the moment because the country only started easing restrictions on Wednesday 13th May which is by my calcs is less than three weeks ago but by the time people started moving, having two weekends including a bank holiday weekend, started to ignore social distancing, we are only now going to see infections, how they really are, now the country is opening up. 

I really hope we dont see an increase over the next two weeks but for me that's the key, not the last two weeks.  The time that the virus has to spread wont be instantaneous, it takes a week or two from 1 person to 2 people to 4 to 16 etc etc growth in spreading before see impacts to the average 2000 per day infections will be seen.

Your point about that things have improved, we'll only know in a few months time.  The reason the stats look good at the moment is due to being in lockdown and the virus not being able to spread.  Hopefully we have reduced the R number and isolated the virus so much that it stays that way but we'll only know that in a few months time in hindsight.  Scientists, Medical professionals say we have opened up too quickly in the UK....that will be remained to be seen and only judged in hindsight.  If we have a massive spike or material spike then we'll know and if we dont then great. 

At this point in time as per your point earlier, the stats now is about what we were doing a few weeks ago not what we are doing today.  Those infections were likely during lockdown or early days post lockdown not the open society we have seen in the last few weeks especially bank holiday weekend.  Those impacts will be seen in a week or two's time.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That is indeed very strange. Checked worldofmeters just now and it says 111

They adjusted after initial posting of 556 deaths now to 111 and adjusted prior data.  If you look at the comments they say

"1,570 new cases and 111 new deaths in the United Kingdom. "Additional deaths, identified from Pillar 2 testing in England, have been added to the data over the last week. In total 445 deaths have been added, with dates of death back to 26 April 2020" 

Edited by nick76

Any chance of just talking about football? It’s starting again no matter what anyone thinks and it’s gotten more than tedious to keep seeing covid figures trotted out. Let’s get talking about the Premier League and what we do to drag ourselves up. Let’s look forward, not back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Any chance of just talking about football? It’s starting again no matter what anyone thinks and it’s gotten more than tedious to keep seeing covid figures trotted out. Let’s get talking about the Premier League and what we do to drag ourselves up. Let’s look forward, not back. 

Fair point.....we need to score more than the opposition? Thoughts?

• Like 1

Just joking @OxfordVillan 

Not sure, I think having SJM back is huge. I dont know how to reduce conceding goals though, we dont have the players from what I can see outside of Mings so how we line up defensively concerns me.  Tactics need to be adjusted as well before anybody notes but I just dont know who to play alongside Mings in central defence.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just joking @OxfordVillan 

Not sure, I think having SJM back is huge. I dont know how to reduce conceding goals though, we dont have the players from what I can see outside of Mings so how we line up defensively concerns me.  Tactics need to be adjusted as well before anybody notes but I just dont know who to play alongside Mings in central defence.

I think reducing the amount of goals conceded has to come from tweaking the style of play. For me we might have to play what might look narrower, because in ElGhazi and Trezeguet we’ve not been good enough. I’d be looking to utilise Keinan Davis up front with Samatta in around him, because with midfielders such as McGinn and Grealish in the team we are capable of the brilliant. Id have a bench that would include Vassilev and Ramsey, as I think fitness and energy could be the difference in a 10 game sprint finish. As things stand I’d line up against Sheffield Utd as follows;

................................Nyland.............................

Guilbert..........Engels........Mings.........Targett

McGinn.....Nakamba.....Drinkwater...Grealish 
....................Samatta........Davis........................

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think reducing the amount of goals conceded has to come from tweaking the style of play. For me we might have to play what might look narrower, because in ElGhazi and Trezeguet we’ve not been good enough. I’d be looking to utilise Keinan Davis up front with Samatta in around him, because with midfielders such as McGinn and Grealish in the team we are capable of the brilliant. Id have a bench that would include Vassilev and Ramsey, as I think fitness and energy could be the difference in a 10 game sprint finish. As things stand I’d line up against Sheffield Utd as follows;

Guilbert..........Engels........Mings.........Targett

McGinn.....Nakamba.....Drinkwater...Grealish 

I agree about ElGhazi and Trez but most of your changes affect going forwards not defensively.  I have no idea what to do because we have tried a number of styles and players with no effect.  Maybe, just off the top of my head, more defensive throughout the team

Guilbert..........Engels........Mings.........Hause

Elmo.............McGinn.......Grealish.......Targett

Or maybe less severe

....................Engels...Mings......Konsa....

Guilbert.........McGinn.......Nakamba.........Targett

.................................Grealish...........................

assuming he does play 4 at the back, I would like a bit more solidity in midfield, I'm still not convinced on Drinkwater even getting another shot in the team.  So Nyland in goal.  Mings, McGinn, Grealish and Samatta are certain starters....let's give Davis....so that's 6 players. 

Let's assume Guilbert and Targett are there because they just will be.  Leaves 3 spots open and that will be dependent on who looks good in training and the set up/tactics that Dean wants to play. 

Those three spots for me is where we have been weak all season, why we have conceded so many goals, as they are centre Midfield and Defence.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree about ElGhazi and Trez but most of your changes affect going forwards not defensively.  I have no idea what to do because we have tried a number of styles and players with no effect.  Maybe, just off the top of my head, more defensive throughout the team

Or maybe less severe

....................Engels...Mings......Konsa....

Guilbert.........McGinn.......Nakamba.........Targett

.................................Grealish...........................

assuming he does play 4 at the back, I would like a bit more solidity in midfield, I'm still not convinced on Drinkwater even getting another shot in the team.  So Nyland in goal.  Mings, McGinn, Grealish and Samatta are certain starters....let's give Davis....so that's 6 players. 

Let's assume Guilbert and Targett are there because they just will be.  Leaves 3 spots open and that will be dependent on who looks good in training and the set up/tactics that Dean wants to play. 

Those three spots for me is where we have been weak all season, why we have conceded so many goals, as they are centre Midfield and Defence.

My thinking is that the ball sticks with Keinan Davis, and therefore we are able to retain possession higher up the pitch, for longer. That in itself is a better form of defence. We know Samatta can nick goals, we know Grealish and McGinn can score the spectacular. If we keep things tight without over committing going forward, we do have the ability to score good/spectacular goals to nick wins. With ElGhazi and Trezeguet in the starting lineup we get neither enough chances created or possession of the ball, it’s not like they’ve been shown to be capable of consistently delivering either crosses or goals, unfortunately thus far. The ball comes back at us far too quickly. I just don’t think we have the personnel to play front foot 4-3-3. There is a role for ElGhazi on the left, as per the Wembley games he’s played in, but for me that’d be from the bench at the moment. 
I think we just have to be more pragmatic with our tactics to deal with differing other teams. And with Sheffield Utd playing a back 3 I’d go with two front men in the middle rather than one. Against other opposition that might/should change. We’ve got to get smarter, show a bit more savvy.

• Like 1

I'd still go for Reina ahead of Nyland.

For all Nyland's decent cup games we are forgetting his howler against Citeh where he let in 6 goals. 2 of them slipped past his near post, unforgivable of a keeper at this level.

Edited by villalad21

16 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

My thinking is that the ball sticks with Keinan Davis, and therefore we are able to retain possession higher up the pitch, for longer. That in itself is a better form of defence. We know Samatta can nick goals, we know Grealish and McGinn can score the spectacular. If we keep things tight without over committing going forward, we do have the ability to score good/spectacular goals to nick wins. With ElGhazi and Trezeguet in the starting lineup we get neither enough chances created or possession of the ball, it’s not like they’ve been shown to be capable of consistently delivering either crosses or goals, unfortunately thus far. The ball comes back at us far too quickly. I just don’t think we have the personnel to play front foot 4-3-3. There is a role for ElGhazi on the left, as per the Wembley games he’s played in, but for me that’d be from the bench at the moment. 
I think we just have to be more pragmatic with our tactics to deal with differing other teams. And with Sheffield Utd playing a back 3 I’d go with two front men in the middle rather than one. Against other opposition that might/should change. We’ve got to get smarter, show a bit more savvy.

So maybe my very defensive idea

Might be a good idea.  Still the defence plus two additional defensive wings but who can also cross a good ball.  You have the additional height of Hause, although his defensive work leaves a lot to be desired but he is a wall of brute force in the box, which takes the pressure of Mings havings to head everything.  Samatta gets wing service to get his head on.  Davis can hold the ball up so Samatta and Grealish can feed off.  Grealish isnt stuck on the wing.  McGinn's energy in midfield along with defensiveness of Elmo and Targett if Grealish gets caught too far upfield after a great run, which is normally a problem because Trez/El Ghazi is also up there.  If Guilbert is out of position on a run, then Elmo can can fill in.

Oh how I'm convincing myself this is a good idea.  Please somebody put me back in my place and tell me I'm wrong?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd still go for Reina ahead of Nyland.

For all Nyland's decent cup games we are forgetting his howler against Citeh were he let in 6 goals. 2 of them slipped past his near post, unforgivable of a keeper at this level.

Me too, I really like Nyland but Reina is world class and has had an unbelievable career, we're lucky to have someone with his pedigree in the squad considering our position. Apart from one poor decision against Leicester in our last outing he's been brilliant, his distribution is the best of any Villa keeper I've seen. With some Villa fans its like - if a player makes one mistake they should never play for us again, with that logic we wouldn't be able to field a team!

17 minutes ago, wedge said:

Me too, I really like Nyland but Reina is world class and has had an unbelievable career, we're lucky to have someone with his pedigree in the squad considering our position. Apart from one poor decision against Leicester in our last outing he's been brilliant, his distribution is the best of any Villa keeper I've seen. With some Villa fans its like - if a player makes one mistake they should never play for us again, with that logic we wouldn't be able to field a team!

My reasoning is he was ill from what I understand, has started training again but wasn’t sure if he was ready for two weeks time as it takes time to get over the virus, I know he was battling it in April.  Wasn’t me picking Nyland over Reina generally.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1