Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Spain had its lowest number of infections in 3 months with 96 new cases (2 deaths), as the UK had 113 deaths from almost 2,000 new cases. 

We are massively behind Spain and still behind Italy. I dread to think what will happen to the infection levels following this weekend. There’s still a lot of risk and variables ahead. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I honestly believe we will play better without a crowd

Dunno, at home when they've shown anything like some appetite for it they've had some really good atmospheres behind them at times. As good as our amazing away support is it might be better without a crowd in teh away games. Going to be weird though, more for the players than supporters probably.

I think all you season ticket holders should have the opportunity to do the same as Monchengladbach and have a puppet that looks like you on your seat in matches.

You could also set up your own camera at the front of your seat that you could manouver from home via the internet. 

And a game chat should be available where you could chat with your neighbours and slack off Villa players from home.

Obviously, there should also be loudspeakers on each seat where you could sing and "encourage" our players via the net too.

That would be a pretty good package, but why leave it there.

You could also sell the same package to everyone else. I could "sit" wherever I wanted in each match. And the stadium could be enlarged too, no need to stick to only 42k seats. Stick another virtual round on top of current ones and double ticket sales to 84k.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I think all you season ticket holders should have the opportunity to do the same as Monchengladbach and have a puppet that looks like you on your seat in matches.

You could also set up your own camera at the front of your seat that you could manouver from home via the internet. 

And a game chat should be available where you could chat with your neighbours and slack off Villa players from home.

Obviously, there should also be loudspeakers on each seat where you could sing and "encourage" our players via the net too.

That would be a pretty good package, but why leave it there.

You could also sell the same package to everyone else. I could "sit" wherever I wanted in each match. And the stadium could be enlarged too, no need to stick to only 42k seats. Stick another virtual round on top of current ones and double ticket sales to 84k.

I also would need that about five minutes before the end of the match when fans start to leave on my row or rows in front of me and block my view when things are happening on the pitch. I’m surprised I never completely missed a goal during that time but many times only got a part view of a goal.  So the camera would need interruptions around that time please.

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 2

On 27/05/2020 at 12:39, nick76 said:

I agree before the virus we were on a incredibly poor streak in terms of results and performances but if we had been consistent in terms of results ie with our game in hand and beaten Sheff Utd we would now be out of the bottom six.

Our average league position is 16.7.  Up until mid December we consistently stayed out of the relegation places.  We regularly went on a run of defeats and then got a win, which kept us above the relegation zone.  Arguably we lost on one of key players in McGinn during December (who was slightly out of form then) and he's back, which hopefully will do a world of good for our chances. 

Even after our defeat to Southampton (our last but one game) we were 17th but since then we didnt play Sheff Utd so fell one game back and lost to Leicester.

So I would argue we havent been poor for the majority of it, we have been where are supposed to be at the moment.......pre-virus for at least four games we were awful, I give you that and yes we were smashed by Man City 6-1 in January.  Do I wish things had gone better, obviously yes, do I wish we would stop making basic individual mistakes that has really cost us, yes but if you had asked me at the end of January if we were I expected us to be then I would've said yes.  We were always going to lose over half our games, any expectation above that was silly but at the end of January I was ok. 

As I said the last few games before lockdown had knocked me how poor we were but before that I cant argue we have been poor.  Maybe poor by overall compared to the big teams and established teams but not poor for where we expected to be at the start of the season.  At the end of January I would've given us a 'C' grade....a pass but with massive areas of potential improvement.

villa 1920.JPG

The thing for me Nick, is, that the pattern seems to fly in the face of gradual improvement and players settling in.....if it was the case the season would likely be the other way around.....it appears we had been actually getting, gradually worse.

The only hope as I see it is JM coming back and a significant improvement in performances and results in the final run in.

The bottom 6 is so tight.......who ever keeps their nerve, will survive.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

The thing for me Nick, is, that the pattern seems to fly in the face of gradual improvement and players settling in.....if it was the case the season would likely be the other way around.....it appears we had been actually getting, gradually worse.

The only hope as I see it is JM coming back and a significant improvement in performances and results in the final run in.

The bottom 6 is so tight.......who ever keeps their nerve, will survive.

The best spell of form is between matchday 19 and matchday 24 though TRO, granted we've lost four on the bounce after that but the results don't support what you are saying.. Going to be a lottery now, beat sheffield united and that could kick us on. Lose that and I think it'll be a huge blow. We need 3 wins from somewhere and a draw or 3!

• Confused 1

On Sky today they have said that, "The majority of teams in the bottom half of the Premier League want relegation scrapped if the 2019/20 season has to be curtailed"

The 20 clubs are to vote on what to do if the season has to be curtailed at a shareholders' meeting on Thursday. The PL are recommending the points-per-game formula to work out league placings if the season has to be cancelled, due to a second wave of coronavirus infections or a new lockdown. 

One club owner says he would vote for scrapping relegation even though the FA ruled it out last month. "We would vote for no relegation if the season is curtailed," he said. "There are up to 10 clubs who think the same thing."The formula would be adopted and used in the future if a season has to be finished early. The recommendation needs the support of 14 clubs in a vote in order to be added to the Premier League's rules. 

With the prospect of the three clubs currently just above the relegation places finding themselves in one of those places should we or Bournemouth hit the ground running on restart, I really can't now see them voting for a plan that could now see them relegated, rather than the current bottom three, which would have happened before restart. The same would be the case with an eye on next season. Half of the PL can't be sure that they wouldn't be in the bottom 3 at some point of time next season, so I can't see the PL getting it's 14 votes.   

It looks like self-interest, might at last result in the right decision being reached, if the season can't be completed. Rick Parry may have threatened legal action if there is no relegation and promotion between the Premier League and the Championship, claiming that there would be "outrage". He really is a sandwich short of a picnic, isn't he?:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Any player who tests positive for  coronavirus later this week faces missing the Premier League’s big restart. Telegraph Sport can reveal there is a ‘return to play’ protocol as part of the medical guidance for dealing with all footballers who have contracted Covid-19 and, even for those who were asymptomatic, the minimum period before returning to group training is two weeks.

This includes the seven-day self-isolation period, with players then only able to return to graded activity on day eight - subject to a negative test - before group training after 14 days. For symptomatic cases, players must be symptom free for at least 14 days before they can return to team training.

Premier League players are currently tested twice a week, usually on a Monday or Tuesday and then a Thursday...

Well now.

• Like 1

PL clubs have been told games will still go ahead even if they have a depleted squad: “It seems as long as you have 15 fit players including a GK from your main squad or your U21s you will be deemed to have a team fit enough to fulfil the fixture.”

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yup, there's no pretence of sporting integrity any more - you will put out some men in your shirts so that TV will pay - nothing else is a concern.

Just goes to show how desperate they have become.

I am pro restart  but imo you can't go on if clubs have depleted squads.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

The Premier League should just do what the NHL does and sign up emergency goalkeepers and extend that so that we can sign some 24-hour contracts to make up the numbers. I've got several years of Sunday League experience, happy to be on an extended bench if needed ;)

It's just a big farce, there's no integrity forcing small squads and unfit players to compete in a short amount of time.

44 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Doris the tea-lady better bring her football boots with her just incase 😉

Don't laugh, she has more Cups in her cabinet than we have in ours, we'd be a Mug not to use her........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2