Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

28 minutes ago, weedman said:

I agree. It's so easy to forget about Steer because he just doesn't look like he'd be a good keeper, but Heaton aside he's been comfortably our most consistent keeper in recent times.

Reina has made mistake after mistake, flaps at crosses and looks like he's totally comfortable with the ball at his feet but falls apart as soon as he has to do any goalkeeping. Nyland has been good and I think there's a keeper there since he got over his teething problems when he 1st joined, but you can't say he hasn't made a lot of errors since joining. 

Steer has just got on with it, he's small but seems confident to come for crosses, can make saves and pass the ball. Order should be... 

1) Heaton

2) Steer 

3) Nyland 

4) Reina

We know Heaton is out, so Steer should be in unless he's injured, in which case it should be Nyland. Reina should only be a last resort, I imagine he'll retire once his contracts up 

Its easy for people to forget about Steer because hes not been around has he, it's a shame I was hoping to see a lot more of him. 

I will never forget his penalty saves against Brom,  but I will also never forget what I took to calling the SteeAir against Holgate https://twitter.com/SoccerAM/status/1128649985287790593?s=20

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Amazon are making their games free to air - so that's 25 from Sky, 4 from the BBC and 4 from Amazon?

So for the sky ones - is it only free to air if you actually have Sky, or is it ‘accessible’ without having sky? 

19 minutes ago, Tayls said:

So for the sky ones - is it only free to air if you actually have Sky, or is it ‘accessible’ without having sky? 

Pick, freeview channel 11 will be showing the free to air games starting with Everton-Liverpool on I think the Saturday after restart.

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Accessible without Sky - they're putting them on Pick which is a freeview channel they own (Ch. 11).

Anyone have any idea when the fixtures/TV details will be released?

I have a horrible feeling that even though 33 of the 92 games are now available free-to-air, that the ties that will be crucial to how the league is decided might well be the ones that Sky/BT choose to keep behind the paywall and that as Villa fans in the middle of the relegation battle, we might lose out.

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anyone have any idea when the fixtures/TV details will be released?

I have a horrible feeling that even though 33 of the 92 games are now available free-to-air, that the ties that will be crucial to how the league is decided might well be the ones that Sky/BT choose to keep behind the paywall and that as Villa fans in the middle of the relegation battle, we might lose out.

A tweet said probably by Thursday evening.

I wonder if Villa-Sheffield United will be free to air. I'd say yes considering Sky will be too busy hyping up Man. City-Arsenal on the same evening to care so wondering if BBC might pick up that as one of their four and give it prime time billing on the Wednesday. Would have to rejig their evening schedule but they'd get ridiculous ratings for it.

Edit: Seems we'll be on Sky (not free to air either, sorry OBE). Bournemouth-Palace rumoured to be a BBC pick, 7.45pm on the Saturday.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

okay i have been very against this whole project restart nonsense but must admit to getting a wee tingle of excitement about all this now its coming to reality.

it will be like nothing we have ever seen before. could have an amazing, grass roots unsanitised warts and all feel to it or it could be a complete car crash and people will realise that without all the glitz and glamour which surrounds the modern game, an actual game of football can be sterile and dull.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

A tweet said probably by Thursday evening.

I wonder if Villa-Sheffield United will be free to air. I'd say yes considering Sky will be too busy hyping up Man. City-Arsenal on the same evening to care so wondering if BBC might pick up that as one of their four and give it prime time billing on the Wednesday. Would have to rejig their evening schedule but they'd get ridiculous ratings for it.

Edit: Seems we'll be on Sky (not free to air either, sorry OBE). Bournemouth-Palace rumoured to be a BBC pick, 7.45pm on the Saturday.

Hope they make ours free to air. The Merseyside Derby is, which makes a lot of sense. 

18 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

okay i have been very against this whole project restart nonsense but must admit to getting a wee tingle of excitement about all this now its coming to reality.

it will be like nothing we have ever seen before. could have an amazing, grass roots unsanitised warts and all feel to it or it could be a complete car crash and people will realise that without all the glitz and glamour which surrounds the modern game, an actual game of football can be sterile and dull.

watched the first half of 1 bundesliga match before coming to this conclusion. i dont see it being a car crash, but guarantee viewing figures will decline

i just cant get excited about it. maybe i'd feel differently if we weren't going down.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

You guys should come and see football in Finland. With 2500 fans in a match on average, I'd like to think you'd walk out thinking it's not really about fans, it's about football itself. 

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Am I right in thinking there will only be one game being played at any one time - so it will be theoretically possible to watch all 92 games?

that's my understanding...sky have the 'festival of football' they wanted all along

i can see that nauseating phrase being used to death and sky to have a brand new theme music and everything

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone think fans will gather outside VP for the home games? You would hope they stay in

Don't see the point. There will be a police presence anyway to disperse them. 

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Has not been a problem in Germany thus far.

Germany have threatened teams with points deductions if fans gather outside the ground. Bit more difficult in England as a lot of German fans mainly support local club compared to Liverpool, United fans dotted around England