Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Sheffield United starting 11 for the last game had 1 player that didnt play for them last season

Villa starting 11 last game had 7 players that didnt play for us last season

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Watford seem to be very against continuing to play. Pearson doesn't seem happy

I saw Pearson interviewed, probably isn’t happy given all the players not training but he seemed to accept its restarting and got to get on with it 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well the table dont lie to me mate. Our last game was another premier leagie horror show. Just like the city game, the game away to watford. Smiths been a failure at this level. I like smith and want him to succeed but you cant hide facts that we have been garbage for most of the season.

You cant say wilder is over rated and then defend Smith considering how crap we are. If smith was doing what wilder had done this year we would all be creaming ourselves

I am really not so sure, some fans would be happy with the spectacle that the unmentionable club has created......I think the spectacle of Burnley, Crystal Palace, etc would miff some of our fans.

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Dem, it ain’t black and white is it.

How many players did Sheff Utd sign in the summer? A few, and none were immediate first teamers, they had their first team already in place, they also had a 3-4 week head start on preparing having been promoted in advance of us.

We had to buy 10+ new players and make budget stretch.

You can’t just compare the two side by side as the conditions and circumstances were very different.

Just being devils advocate.

But you could say that about every club in the league.

but comparisons are made at every level.....e.g Man city v Liverpool.etc

it will always feature as a topic of conversation......every club is at a different period of development, but it doesn't stop speculation.

Edited by TRO

48 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How many players did Sheff Utd sign in the summer? A few, and none were immediate first teamers, they had their first team already in place, they also had a 3-4 week head start on preparing having been promoted in advance of us.

You can’t just compare the two side by side as the conditions and circumstances were very different.

No one is saying we should tear the league apart but come on, it's been embarrassing.

We are conceding 2 goals on average per game

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No one is saying we should tear the league apart but come on, it's been embarrassing.

I think to add salt to the wound, some of the errors, has me hanging my head, in disbelief at the amateurish nature of them.

conceding goals is part and parcel of the game.....goals were conceded with Paul McGrath, Ugo and Southgate in the team...not many and not often, but they did.

The amount we concede is bad enough, but the nature of them is well, beyond me, for a club of our stature.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If you think this season has been embarrassing then you really do have a very narrow perception of football, with all due respect.

Sunderland and Derby were embarrassing, as was our exit in 2016, we’ve already done markedly better than all of those with the season yet to be completed and reached a cup final against one of the best two teams in the country and came within a few centimetres of taking it to extra time.

Part of me didn’t want to respond to you chief because I think you’ve marked your own card as being a wind up merchant (at best) but nevertheless I hope some of this sinks in.

I think there have been instances, when things have been embarrassing ,at home too.

leicester, Southampton and Man city.....then the brain fart against Spurs.

so it is a legitimate claim.

Edited by TRO

Winning 3 games in an entire season was embarrassing, losing 15-0 in 3 games over a week was embarrassing, being dumped out by Doncaster 3-0 was embarrassing, losing 2 legs to 4th tier Bradford was embarrassing. Even playing a playoff final with no intent to attack was embarrassing

This season is nothing

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Winning 3 games in an entire season was embarrassing, losing 15-0 in 3 games over a week was embarrassing, being dumped out by Doncaster 3-0 was embarrassing, losing 2 legs to 4th tier Bradford was embarrassing. Even playing a playoff final with no intent to attack was embarrassing

This season is nothing

By that standard it's impossible to fail at this club. The bar is so f***ing low

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You are a troll it’s been far from embarrassing go and support Liverpool 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

You are a troll it’s been far from embarrassing go and support Liverpool 

I agree, this season was always going to be hard but we can still avoid relegation, it's still in our own hands and we got to a league cup final.  Yes we concede too many goals and yes we've looked awful a lot but that's what you get when you are promoted through the playoffs, have to rebuild your team and play against so many established teams regularly.  People seem to forget there are two teams that play every game and a lot of games on paper the teams we played this season are far better than us and have been playing together a lot longer than ours.  Sometimes, people just need a little perspective.

We've had some great highlights this season, beating Everton, last minute winner against Watford, beating Leicester in the Semis, beating Newcastle at home on my Birthday (personal one for me), being 1-0 up at home against LIverpool against the odds for 87 minutes...sadly the end of that wasnt so great.  Yeah not perfect but the aim was always 17th this season and that's still in our grasp with 10 games to go.

It has not been embarrassing....yes hard.....expected, yes....wish we didn't concede so many basic goals, yes.....but expected!

Edited by nick76

On February 23, the first case of the coronavirus covid-19 was detected in Italy. Today, the country is one of the hardest hit by the virus, with thousands dead. 

One of the hardest hit cities in the country is Bergamo, and the city of Bergamo's mayor Giorgio Gori has previously launched a theory that the Champions League match between Atalanta and Valencia on February 19 strongly contributed to the spread of infection in the city. 

- We had a crowded arena. Afterwards, people gathered at the bars. People were really in close contact with each other that night and the virus could spread from person to person, said Gori, who called the match "a biological bomb." 

Klopp calls the match "criminal act"

When March came, the corona virus had hit the claws in more European countries and a number of football matches had already been decided without an audience. Despite this, spectators were allowed to be in the Champions League meeting between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid on March 11. By then, the day before, Spain had had its first death due to the corona virus and in several areas of Spain, bans had been imposed on people gathering over 1000 people. 

Despite this, thousands of Spaniards were allowed to travel to Liverpool to see the Champions League match in place at a packed Anfield. 

41 deaths can be linked to the scandal match

Now, Edge Health, which analyzes figures from the NHS (British Ministry of Health), states that 41 people have died in the corona virus as a result of that match. This is reported by the Sunday Times magazine . 

Liverpool coach Jürgen Klopp said to have called it the "a criminal act" that the audience was allowed in the stands during the match and Madrid Mayor Jose Luis Martinez Almedia said a month ago that "it was a mistake" that the game was played at all. 

Shortly after the Champions League match, the Cheltenham Festival was organized, a huge gala competition that attracted a total of over 250,000 spectators over four days. According to The Times, Edge Health has linked 37 deaths in the UK to the festival. 

https://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/champions-league/41-dodsfall-kopplas-till-skandalmatchen/

Festival of Football ftw. Anyone who thinks there isn't going to be big crowds gathering when it restarts and the weather is warm is fooling themselves.

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Its got nothing to do with how many players we signed. We are supposed to sign players that fit in with our style of play ( the problem is we dont have a style of play ) not a good one anyway.As for signing a lot of players at once,what about when Fergie bought 6/7 young players into the team at the same time ( Scholes,Beckham,Giggs etc The class of 93 )

As for comparing two different sides.Dont compare them like you say.Compare them this way.Where would you rather have our team 19th or 12th.Comparison is as simple as that.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

https://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/champions-league/41-dodsfall-kopplas-till-skandalmatchen/

Festival of Football ftw. Anyone who thinks there isn't going to be big crowds gathering when it restarts and the weather is warm is fooling themselves.

If pubs are open and showing the matches then you can certainly envisage a scenario where football fans will be flocking to see the games there. With decent weather it will be like a World Cup atmosphere. The chance to watch the games with a beer and other fans was always going to be a more attractive proposition than standing outside the ground I'd have thought.

• Like 2

Pubs won't be open until early July at earliest and even then it seems it will be just outside so think the chances of them showing any football is pretty remote in next few months.

Seems Wetherspoons re-opening all of their pubs but very few of them have Sky or BT.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

If pubs are open and showing the matches then you can certainly envisage a scenario where football fans will be flocking to see the games there. With decent weather it will be like a World Cup atmosphere. The chance to watch the games with a beer and other fans was always going to be a more attractive proposition than standing outside the ground I'd have thought.

It'd be nuts, how are they going to socially distance at the urinals? Close every other urinal? Then it'll be a big queue of pissed blokes - they ain't going to do the 2 metre thing even if they tried.