Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Chris Wilder is a good manager but you would think he was Alex Ferguson meets Jose Mourinho the way people go on about him, he is 52 years old and has done well at Sheffield United but has achieved less in his managerial career than Alan Pardew, Steve Bruce, Alan Curbishley even Roberto Di Matteo

then again similar posters have licked Maupay arse all season

Two promotions on a small budget is achieve nothing??

I would say he is excellent manager and comes across like kne of the good guys in football. I respect him alot bit suprised your speaking so negatively about him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would say he is excellent manager and comes across like kne of the good guys in football. I respect him alot bit suprised your speaking so negatively about him

Paul Lambert did the same, also had Norwich punching above his weight first season. Nigel Atkins did it as well

I didnt criticise Wilder at all in my post it was a go at people who are bringing WIlder into every Smith debate as if he has 3 Champions Leagues in his cupboard

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So he's on par with Paul lambert then? 

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

There are two standout clubs in the premier league this season, Liverpool & Man City. After those two there isn’t a single team that any other premier league team should be in fear of. As I said previously, of our remaining fixtures it was only the Liverpool away tie that induced a feeling of anxiety. The break in play came at a good time for us. The way some of you go on about the fear of playing the likes of Arsenal, Everton, Sheffield Utd etc is laughable, you’d think they were the cream of European competition! We’ve beaten Everton and Newcastle already this season, and should have had all 3pts at Arsenal were it not for poor officiating. We got a draw at Old Trafford and was a matter of 5mins from beating Liverpool, without Grealish. So whilst we’ve had some poor displays and lost games we perhaps shouldn’t have, we aren’t nearly as dire as some of you are painting us to be. Thank god those of you with the beaten attitudes aren’t involved with the team! 

We’re  not a terrible team, but like most teams towards the bottom of the table, we have turned in a fair few terrible performances. In my opinion we have lacked the right level of grit and dynamism, plus we have shown more than a little naivety at crucial moments. The good news is that our grittiest and most dynamic player, John McGinn will be back and raring to go. His influence could be massive and crucial for the last quarter of the season. 

I don’t think that we should be considering playing under theses circumstances but money swears and it looks as if they will cobble something together. So it is what it is and we can only do our best with the circumstances with which we are presented. The opportunity to stop and reset will hopefully be grasped, because being relegated won’t help the situation any more than staying up will. So we might as well do our best to stay up. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Paul Lambert did the same, also had Norwich punching above his weight first season. Nigel Atkins did it as well

I didnt criticise Wilder at all in my post it was a go at people who are bringing WIlder into every Smith debate as if he has 3 Champions Leagues in his cupboard

I thought you saw him as a manager of the year contender. I just think his positivity is very refreshing. Theres better manager around like Klopp 😆

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I thought you saw him as a manager of the year contender. I just think his positivity is very refreshing. Theres better manager around like Klopp 😆

He is manager of the season and he deserves it, point is just because Wilder and Sheffield United have had an outstanding season doesnt mean they are the bar. Ipswich came up and finished 5th under Burley, they were relegated the following season and never promoted again

I dont begrudge Sheffield United success but they are not our comparison

Paul Lambert has been nowhere near top 6 in Premier League.

Many managers has achieved promotion, that isn't anything special. Not many managers are fighting for top 4 the 1st season back.

This is where the Lambert comparison just get silly. Lambert been nowhere near where Sheffield United currently are in the table.

When Sheffield United are in a relegation scrap next year I hope the Wilder fan club will give it a rest.  I’m sure there’s plenty of Sheffield United forums where you can wax lyrical about Wilder. Or maybe even set a Wilder thread up in off topic and you can drool over him there. 

I say **** Sheffield United and **** Chris Wilder too. I care about Villa.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

If Wilder had 3 champions leagues in his cupboard....that would be deemed as a silly comparison, by those who want to rebuke it now

The reason Chris Wilder has been mentioned so much, is to highlight the poor season we have had.....and that is the irritation, some find hard to digest....plus the fact he is the manager of the team that came up with us.

Dyche could also be mentioned, but no doubt another unfair comparison would be sought.

Its a perfectly legitimate comparison from managers who have had similar resources in the last 3 years....but have gone down a different path in their pursuit of success.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its a perfectly legitimate comparison from managers who have had similar resources in the last 3 years....but have gone down a different path in their pursuit of success.

The significant resource that Chris Wilder has had is time. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When Sheffield United are in a relegation scrap next year I hope the Wilder fan club will give it a rest.  I’m sure there’s plenty of Sheffield United forums where you can wax lyrical about Wilder. Or maybe even set a Wilder thread up in off topic and you can drool over him there. 

I say **** Sheffield United and **** Chris Wilder too. I care about Villa.

We all care about Villa......that is the whole point.

It could have been so much better.

maybe that is the painful bit.

Its been reported Dean has studied all this seasons games and held one on one interviews in an effort to get to the bottom of our ills.

I hope it has an effect and we improve, because thats what most of us want.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I accept that Dave with gritted teeth.

I would love to unconditionally believe it......don't get me wrong, time is a legitimate claim, but I think its other things too, that I have laboured on.

It seems to me, they have both embarked on a different philosophy and up to now Wilder has it right......what the future holds who knows, tables might turn, I hope they do.

but I can only talk about the "here and now" who knows what happens in the future.

"The past is a statement.....The future is a question"

I have heard the Jam tomorrow arguments over the years, many times.

I watch every home game and I look for little pockets of improvements, even if its better throw ins...,.that gives me hope and encouragement that things are being worked on at BMH....irrespective of the result.

What I have seen is us gradually getting worse and things like corners, where mistakes are so repeated.....so that is a source of my concerns. if other folk see different, its their call.

I am not going for a better fan award, I will say what I see....its the managers job to talk it up....However, I will always reserve my honest thoughts for this forum, when I am in the ground, I remain supportive, always have and always will.

I accept things take time but improvement is gradual, not spontaneous.......that gradual improvement should be in evidence, if we are to believe in "time".

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

But imo he's deserved that time for what he's achieved with limited funds. You aren't just given time out of sentimentality, it has to be earned.

Time doesn't mean a manager will be successful. If a manager just isn't good enough he will never be successful.

Our defensive stats speak for themselves. If we are relegated and our 2 goals conceded per game ratio goes on there will be a good case for Smith being sacked.

Dean could be a good manager to get us back up again, but what then? Will we have a similar season to this one?

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

If Wilder had 3 champions leagues in his cupboard....that would be deemed as a silly comparison, by those who want to rebuke it now

The reason Chris Wilder has been mentioned so much, is to highlight the poor season we have had.....and that is the irritation, some find hard to digest....plus the fact he is the manager of the team that came up with us.

Dyche could also be mentioned, but no doubt another unfair comparison would be sought.

so why not compare us to Daniel Farke as well all the time? He finished 18 points ahead of us last season and his team did the double over Smith?

• Like 3

Sheffield United ended last season 13 points ahead of us, they are currently 18 points above us. If we were to beat them the gap would be down to 15 points, so if we were to get 2 more points than them from our other 9 games, we would finish with exactly the same points gap that we had last year.  That wouldn't seem quite as bad for us, or quite as good for them, in my opinion. ;)  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John said:

Sheffield United ended last season 13 points ahead of us, they are currently 18 points above us. If we were to beat them the gap would be down to 15 points, so if we were to get 2 more points than them from our other 9 games, we would finish with exactly the same points gap that we had last year.  That wouldn't seem quite as bad for us, or quite as good for them, in my opinion. ;)  

We arguably have better individual players than them.....but they have a team, that is functional and effective in most aspects of the game.

that is the main difference.

We had all that under Saunders.....that is why, some of us can see it.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Because Daniel Farke has been given no money. Been given the task to stay up with a Championship squad.

Yes and Smith has been giving a Man City budget and also given some of the best players in the Premier League. More of the Villa arrogance from some fans that think because we won the league 40 years ago we should be on a par with Wolves

i bet Norwich fans arent saying Farke should be challenging top 6 because Wilder did it on a limited budget. I am pretty sure Norwich also went down the same season as us. Norwich also have a higher Premier League finish in the last 10 years than Villa 

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

Talking about managers that are deemed our competitors is a good discussion the first few times. When it’s all that’s bloody spoken about on a VILLA forum it understandably gets tiring for some.