Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I bet you they go down next season.

Have to think whoever comes up through play offs will be nailed on certs to go down given the ridiculously quick turnaround. And promoted top two won't have as much time either so could well just be the promoted clubs.

They'd probably do a Burnley if they made the europa, struggle up to xmas and then click once they're knocked out of europe if it actually happens.

Edited by VillaChris

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'm not a betting man, but I will be surprised if that happened.

but its hard to take away, what they have done this season, by talking about next.

The frustration for me is, I believe, I can see why we are struggling, as I bet others feel the same.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I'm not a betting man, but I will be surprised if that happened.

but its hard to take away, what they have done this season.

The frustration for me is, I believe, I can see why we are struggling, as I bet others feel the same.

Yeah all because of VAR.

just kidding

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’ll be like the season Ipswich got promoted qualified for Europe and went down the following season

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, useless said:

Chelsea have eight points less than they had this time last year, Man Utd have thirteen points less, Arsenal have seventeen points less, and Tottenham have twenty points less than this time last year, those clubs having such poor seasons is the reason why the likes of Wolves and Sheffield United have a chance of champions league football, any other season and their 43 points that they have now wouldn't get them anywhere near top four, Wolves had 43 points at this stage last season for example and were 13 points off the champions league places.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sheffield United were relegated next season, they wouldn't be the first club to come up surpise a few people by doing well, but then struggling in the second season.

Its a long time ago but remember Ispwich in the early 2000s I think came 5th and then got relegated. Haven't been top flight since.

I remember the likes of Owen Coyle, Phil Brown, and Ian Holloway coming up and doing well initially, being hailed as the next big thing, think Coyle was even being seriously talked about as Wengers replacement at Arsenal at one point. Even Lambert in his season at Norwich wasn't doing much worse points wise that what Sheffield United are doing now. Wilder's doing a very good job, but will have to see how it goes for him in the coming seasons.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember the likes of Owen Coyle, Phil Brown, and Ian Holloway coming up and doing well initially, being hailed as the next big thing, think Coyle was even being seriously talked about as Wengers replacement at Arsenal at one point. Even Lambert in his season at Norwich wasn't doing much worse points wise that what Sheffield United are doing now. Wilder's doing a very good job, but will have to see how it goes for him in the coming seasons.

Managers that do well deserve praise. I get that and have no problem with it. But when it’s constantly being used as a stick to beat our current manager it winds me up. Whether you think Smith is doing a good job or not it’s got f**k all to do with Wilder!! 

• Like 4

If we are relegated, then it's probably best we didn't win the league cup; With the season shortened by three weeks, 46 league games, plus both the domestic cups and then a dozen Europa league games wouldn't have made for the most comfortable fit.

11 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am looking at the fixtures,  Villa home to manutd especially. 

black game show GIF by Cheezburger

Haha! 😂 

She's just seen our record in this fixture, home to Man Utd in the league, and she's utterly appalled. And so am I. No win since... 1995. (Hansen's "You can't win anything with kids"). 

25 years. 20 failed attempts in a row. Twenty. Good grief. 😑 I can't stand it. I just can't stand it.

Edited by robby b

25 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Says in that article Watford have several, players either with symptoms or just staying away from training.

Surely that continues for the culminating season it is very bad for their survival chances.

3 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Yeah it seems to be the case, that's eight total now right??, not looking good for bringing football back at the moment is it???

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If we are relegated, then it's probably best we didn't win the league cup; With the season shortened by three weeks, 46 league games, plus both the domestic cups and then a dozen Europa league games wouldn't have made for the most comfortable fit.

Understand your point, but respectfully disagree. Trophies are defining moments for clubs and defining memories for fans. Beating Manchester City at Wembley would’ve been spectacular

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MNVillan said:

Understand your point, but respectfully disagree. Trophies are defining moments for clubs and defining memories for fans. Beating Manchester City at Wembley would’ve been spectacular

Oh absolutely, don't get me wrong - that's not a point of view I'd hold prior to the game!

9 hours ago, robby b said:

Haha! 😂 

She's just seen our record in this fixture, home to Man Utd in the league, and she's utterly appalled. And so am I. No win since... 1995. (Hansen's "You can't win anything with kids"). 

25 years. 20 failed attempts in a row. Twenty. Good grief. 😑 I can't stand it. I just can't stand it.

I think at least 3 times they gave us a 2 goal led and we **** it up 😢

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, TRO said:

I accept that Dave with gritted teeth.

I would love to unconditionally believe it......don't get me wrong, time is a legitimate claim, but I think its other things too, that I have laboured on.

It seems to me, they have both embarked on a different philosophy and up to now Wilder has it right......what the future holds who knows, tables might turn, I hope they do.

but I can only talk about the "here and now" who knows what happens in the future.

"The past is a statement.....The future is a question"

I have heard the Jam tomorrow arguments over the years, many times.

I watch every home game and I look for little pockets of improvements, even if its better throw ins...,.that gives me hope and encouragement that things are being worked on at BMH....irrespective of the result.

What I have seen is us gradually getting worse and things like corners, where mistakes are so repeated.....so that is a source of my concerns. if other folk see different, its their call.

I am not going for a better fan award, I will say what I see....its the managers job to talk it up....However, I will always reserve my honest thoughts for this forum, when I am in the ground, I remain supportive, always have and always will.

I accept things take time but improvement is gradual, not spontaneous.......that gradual improvement should be in evidence, if we are to believe in "time".

I’m not saying that time is the only thing that matters, just that it is a factor. I believe that a lot of the planning for this season was done in the belief that it would be spent building in the Championship. Obviously we weren’t going to turn down promotion, but as a club we’ve been a little caught on the hop. We don’t just have a relatively inexperienced head coach and coaching staff but we have inexperienced owners and CEO as far as football is concerned. 

The owners have demonstrated a great deal of ambition and have recognised that a huge amount of change was required throughout the whole structure of the club. Doing this in the Championship would have been a challenge, given the mess we were in and the expectations that are always there with a big football club, that challenge is obviously greatly ramped up in the Premiership. Most people accepted that this would be a tough season and we would most likely be in a relegation battle. I’m not so sure what a lot of people thought that would look like. If they thought a relegation battle can be conducted from the comfort of mid table then I’m afraid that was never going to happen. 

If we try to see things in the context of where we are in both the long term development of the club and the hard fact that we have a hastily built first team squad with a new recruiting team and an inexperienced coaching staff, then being in the relegation zone by 2 points and with 10 games to go with a game in hand is probably about where we could reasonably expect to be. Perhaps we have made mistakes with recruitment both in policy and individual purchases and yes there is plenty that we can criticise from a performance point of view which stands firmly at the feet of the coaches. Things need to change and I’m not saying that there isn’t an argument that one of those things could be the head coach, but it’s only fair to make those judgements in the context of our individual set of circumstances, which are unique for every club. The real comparison that will stand for anything at the end of the season is did we get more points than three other clubs.

At the end of the season I’m pretty sure that the board will have a lot of thinking to do. I don’t think staying up or going down will guarantee in themselves that Dean Smith will still be head coach next season. But I don’t think that where Sheffield United finish will make a blind bit of difference to that decision. Time is important, what you do with it is even more important, there are many factors and dare I say, only time will tell. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We don’t just have a relatively inexperienced head coach and coaching staff but we have inexperienced owners and CEO as far as football is concerned. 

?? Purslow was CEO of Chelsea and Liverplop before us.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

?? Purslow was CEO of Chelsea and Liverplop before us.

Was he CEO? If you’re right then obviously I’m talking bo11ox as far as that’s concerned! But he’s still had a lot to do in a very short period of time. There has been a lot of learning on the job throughout the senior ranks at the club. 

• Like 1