Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's tough to say. There really haven't been many surprise results in Bundesliga so far, it's largely run to form. Probably what it does show is majority of top Bundesliga teams have got enough fitness training in to last the 90 minutes and not flag right at the end and thus the gap in quality will show.

If premier league was to come back ridiculously early say on June 1st then they'd be far more shock results than with it restarting more likely in late June when all teams should be up to speed.

Couple of surprise results today mate.

• Like 1

Even Italy and Spain are looking likely to restart. Surely England can as well. This Virus could go on for years.

Kante and Deeney can retire if they want to and look back on their career with their kids. Rest of the footballing world will try to move on and adapt to the changes. Look for solutions rather than looking for problems.

Edited by villalad21

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Even Italy and Spain are looking likely to restart. Surely England can as well. This Virus could go on for years.

Kante and Deeney can retire if they want to and look back on their career with their kids. Rest of the footballing world will try to move on and adapt to the changes. Look for solutions rather than looking for problems.

I’m going to assume you don’t know the reason why Deeney doesn’t want to return to soon.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon they will start it late and scrap cups 

Seeing as they are still planning to finish this seasons FA Cup, I don’t think next seasons will be scrapped.  Given how all the governing bodies have reacted so far, they are going to squash in every game no matter what.

2 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

Watching the Gladbach game I like the cardboard cut-outs. Looks better than empty seats. Would like to see us do the same but go one step further by adding in some crowd sound. We could get a DJ to mix in sound sampled from previous home games at appropriate points in the play. Would be better than hearing the echoey shouts of the players. You'd hardly notice the difference watching on TV.

Forget the cardboard cutouts

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/sex-dolls-fc-seoul-south-korea-football-team-fans-apology-2856371

😎😎

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Talking about managers that are deemed our competitors is a good discussion the first few times. When it’s all that’s bloody spoken about on a VILLA forum it understandably gets tiring for some.

so why do they keep bringing it/him up?

what about the tiresome line that all will be well in time.....how many times has that been rolled out?

you have a choice ,don't read it.....I was merely countering a point another poster made about Wilder.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

We did indeed and Ron's functional and effective teams, also included some very, very good players. :thumb:

Thats what frustrates me John, with the right approach, we can do it again.

Ron made most of them in to what he wanted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

So he's on par with Paul lambert then? 

Did lambert have us 6th in his first season on a small budget challenging for cl?

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Paul Lambert did the same, also had Norwich punching above his weight first season. Nigel Atkins did it as well

I didnt criticise Wilder at all in my post it was a go at people who are bringing WIlder into every Smith debate as if he has 3 Champions Leagues in his cupboard

You said he is on par with pardew and bruce cant get worse than that criticism  😂

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Did lambert have us 6th in his first season on a small budget challenging for cl?

You said he is on par with pardew and bruce cant get worse than that criticism  😂

He did spend £70m in the summer

And spurs, arsenal and Everton have all been so poor this season they've sacked their manager, that won't (shouldn't) happen next year then we'll get a better idea of how competitive they are

And that wasn't really the point, I don't think anyone was saying that he isn't a good manager or that they aren't doing really well or that we aren't envious... But just how good he is is being laid on too thick, he's overrated by some on here largely because they just want to use him as an opportunity to grin and bash Smith over the head with his success

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And spurs, arsenal and Everton have all been so poor this season they've sacked their manager, that won't (shouldn't) happen next year then we'll get a better idea of how competitive they are

And that wasn't really the point, I don't think anyone was saying that he isn't a good manager or that they aren't doing really well or that we aren't envious... But just how good he is is being laid on too thick, he's overrated by some on here largely because they just want to use him as an opportunity to grin and bash Smith over the head with his success

He is chasing champions league football in his first season at this level. How the hell is he overrated??

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He is chasing champions league football in his first season at this level. How the hell is he overrated??

5 points off 4th and 4 points off 11th...

Like I said he's a good manager having a great season but let's wait and see where he finishes and more importantly where they end up over the next couple of years, fall short of 4th and this will be as good as it gets for them, same as several PL teams have found out before 

He's made out to be doing something that no else has done before or is capable of doing and that's not the case

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I keep wondering is there time should the PL restart end of June?

When is next season supposed to start, beginning of August?

September.

Uefa wants to somehow finish off champions league and europa in August and simply isn't enough midweeks for that in one month.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think that is a tad unfair.

We want Smith to get it right....and its fair to say it isn't....and prior to lockdown there wasn't much sign of it getting better either.

Wilder is being used to say/highlight, it can be right, if you go about it right.

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

5 points off 4th and 4 points off 11th...

Like I said he's a good manager having a great season but let's wait and see where he finishes and more importantly where they end up over the next couple of years, fall short of 4th and this will be as good as it gets for them, same as several PL teams have found out before 

He's made out to be doing something that no else has done before or is capable of doing and that's not the case

It sure isn't the case.....its been done by quite a few.

But lets be clear here....He has had 3 really good seasons on the bounce, its not a one off at all.

Sure, Next season will be the test....but the here & Now is the main thing....The present and the past is a statement...the future is just a question.

My suspicion is he may find it harder, but overall, I think his model is set up right to stay in this division and thats what I give him credit for.

He is not the next football messiah, but in my view he has got all the fundamentals to stay in this division, right....I think he has done many things like Ron Saunders did with us and everyone said that was not going to last, but the next season we won the top prize, despite having a dip in the league. ....sure it takes time, but the gradual  improvement has to be seen, for "time" to be a credible claim.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It sure isn't the case.....its been done by quite a few.

But lets be clear here....He has had 3 really good seasons on the bounce, its not a one off at all.

Sure, Next season will be the test....but the here & Now is the main thing....The present and the past is a statement...the future is just a question.

My suspicion is he may find it harder, but overall, I think his model is set up right to stay in this division and thats what I give him credit for.

He is not the next football messiah, but in my view he has got all the fundamentals to stay in this division right....I think he has done many things like Ron Saunders did with us and everyone said that was not going to last, but the next season we won the top prize, despite having a dip in the league. ....sure it takes time, but the gradual  improvement has to be seen for "time" to be credible.

I bet you they go down next season.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1