Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Pubs won't be open until early July at earliest and even then it seems it will be just outside so think the chances of them showing any football is pretty remote in next few months.

Seems Wetherspoons re-opening all of their pubs but very few of them have Sky or BT.

Yeah but there will be plenty of pub/social club/bar lock-ins if there are footy games on.  We all know the places where we can go if games are on tv so we can have a few beers and watch the game with mates.  I wont be going this time but I know many who will.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Wilder has done fantastically, my point was trying to put things in perspective at our end.  If we stay up and had a cup final then Smith would have met and probably exceeded my expectations too, having also exceeded my expectations last season in getting us up from the state we were in.

No i absolutely agree with that. If smith keeps us up he has done very well and should be kept on. If we finish 17th Smith stays for me

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Dem, it ain’t black and white is it.

How many players did Sheff Utd sign in the summer? A few, and none were immediate first teamers, they had their first team already in place, they also had a 3-4 week head start on preparing having been promoted in advance of us.

We had to buy 10+ new players and make budget stretch.

You can’t just compare the two side by side as the conditions and circumstances were very different.

Sorry i dont agree with that.

We gojng to nit pick and say sheffield united had a few weeks over us? Poor excuse i feel.

I appreciate your point about building a squad so that i do agree with. But skmw of the players like jota hause el ghazi wesley trezuguet have been woeful to poor. 

The fact is both sides goals were to stay up and Sheffield united have exceeded that with spending half we have.

How many times have sheffield united been spanked this season compared to us?

Hell even Southampton after getting destroyed you saw improvement we have only seen glimpses. This is something smith has to inprove and quickly if we have any chance of survival

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Its got nothing to do with how many players we signed. We are supposed to sign players that fit in with our style of play ( the problem is we dont have a style of play ) not a good one anyway.As for signing a lot of players at once,what about when Fergie bought 6/7 young players into the team at the same time ( Scholes,Beckham,Giggs etc The class of 93 )

As for comparing two different sides.Dont compare them like you say.Compare them this way.Where would you rather have our team 19th or 12th.Comparison is as simple as that.

Yeah bringing in 6/7 youngsters that have played together for 5 or 6 years is totally the same as signing 12 strangers from different leagues and who speak different languages...

Just pay Pochettino what he ask for i'd say.

Surely he's got to at least be in our owner's thoughts? He is available and is desperate for a Premier League job. We've got the 5th richest owners in the league.

I know it's a long shot, but is it really that far fetched? 

Obviously no chance if we are relegated

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Just pay Pochettino what he ask for i'd say.

Surely he's got to at least be in our owner's thoughts? He is available and is desperate for a Premier League job. We've got the 5th richest owners in the league.

I know it's a long shot, but is it really that far fetched? 

Obviously no chance if we are relegated

How do you know he is desperate he your pal ?

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but there will be plenty of pub/social club/bar lock-ins if there are footy games on.  We all know the places where we can go if games are on tv so we can have a few beers and watch the game with mates.  I wont be going this time but I know many who will.

If you know about these places then why not report them. 

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If you know about these places then why not report them. 

1) They are people I know, some for most of my life.

2) If I know about some places, what about the places I don’t know about as I’m guessing this is not uncommon not only locally but all around the country

3) People seem to be ignoring the rules now when I’m out and about shopping, so why should I care now.  PM’s aide doesn’t care, Professional Football doesn’t care, so why would I report my friends and acquaintances.

4) Just because I don’t agree with this scenario I’m not burning my bridges when I agree with a lock-in for other reasons past and in the future 😉

5) snitches get stitches 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, nick76 said:

1) They are people I know, some for most of my life.

2) If I know about some places, what about the places I don’t know about as I’m guessing this is not uncommon not only locally but all around the country

3) People seem to be ignoring the rules now when I’m out and about shopping, so why should I care now.  PM’s aide doesn’t care, Professional Football doesn’t care, so why would I report my friends and acquaintances.

4) Just because I don’t agree with this scenario I’m not burning my bridges when I agree with a lock-in for other reasons past and in the future 😉

5) snitches get stitches 😂 

I know I wouldn't myself and I was shocked when I saw Cummings coming out of his house and being surrounded by a load of reporters all blatently ignoring social distancing and nobody has even mentioned it. I don't get this country. Theres so many people who just ignore the guidelines and do what they want. 

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I know I wouldn't myself and I was shocked when I saw Cummings coming out of his house and being surrounded by a load of reporters all blatently ignoring social distancing and nobody has even mentioned it. I don't get this country. Theres so many people who just ignore the guidelines and do what they want. 

Well as we have discussed a few weeks back, I'm currently looking after my 75 year old mom through this so I'm being even more cautious. 

I have a low view of society generally and these last few weeks have really havent helped that to be honest.  This whole football restarting is a disgrace (yes i know the pro's and con's), the UK aide, the reporters, seeing people at my local shops, seeing the people in the parks and my street has had more workers in the last month than ever (even before easing of lockdowns) doing work that wasnt in the essential guidelines. 

I watch the US news as well more recently and they are protesting being lockdowned and sections of society think it was a political hoax, even one GOP county official was saying that this weekend in an official speech.  Donald Trump was golfing yesterday just as his country is about to hit 100,000 deaths. 

Just from top of society to bottom of our society I'm just baffled.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The problem isn’t really the manager tbh, it’s just that we keep signing really shit players every transfer window. 

The problem really is both.

Naive tactics coupled with poor recruitment 

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well as we have discussed a few weeks back, I'm currently looking after my 75 year old mom through this so I'm being even more cautious. 

I have a low view of society generally and these last few weeks have really havent helped that to be honest.  This whole football restarting is a disgrace (yes i know the pro's and con's), the UK aide, the reporters, seeing people at my local shops, seeing the people in the parks and my street has had more workers in the last month than ever (even before easing of lockdowns) doing work that wasnt in the essential guidelines. 

I watch the US news as well more recently and they are protesting being lockdowned and sections of society think it was a political hoax, even one GOP county official was saying that this weekend in an official speech.  Donald Trump was golfing yesterday just as his country is about to hit 100,000 deaths. 

Just from top of society to bottom of our society I'm just baffled.

I can understand how you feel then about football restarting  looking after your mom. Mine died two years ago but if I was still looking after her I'd be the same. 

• Thanks 1

Up to December we were looking o.k imo. Pretty much giving every team a game even if we lost in the end (Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool) and had enough about us to think with a few sensible additions in January we'd comfortably stay up.

Since we were trashed at home v Leicester we've looked a bottom 3 standard team. When you look at every fixture since the old halves we've actually played well in were first half v Burnley and Spurs and second halves v Brighton and Watford.

One big problem over last few months is how slowly we start games. Burnley and Spurs stick out as we came flying out of the blocks in those. Built up a commanding enough position to win v Burnley and should've been same v Spurs but for poor finishing. You compare that to how terrible we were first half v Southampton and Bournemouth and you can add the others over xmas period (Brighton was also a terrible first half performance but we kept it to 1-0).

The problem is the general team performance hasn't been great at all compared to the opening few months when we were still trying to integrate many new signings and get a consistant first 11.

It's worth reminding we've failed to pick up a premier league point since January 21st and not like we've had impossible run of fixtures, played two teams around us and Spurs missing 3-4 of their key players.

I'm expecting a response when we get going again. To go down meekly e.g. losing 6-7 of our last 10 games as looked very likely before the break is simply not acceptable to me and certainly DS shouldn't get another chance if we go down without much of a fight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Pochettiong has lost 18 league games since 2018, hardly a red hot manager that will transform us immediately

But he's forrin so he must be good. 

Ps I'm assuming your talking about Pochettino and not his Chinese cousin 🙂

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I saw that and thought it was shocking.

What he did was unquestionably wrong but that press scrum was 10 times more dangerous. Was like a school of piranhas swimming in a tight pack all in each others immediate space and indeed his safe space whilst accusing him of hipocracy for breaking social distancing.   I'm very suprised a lot hasn't been made of it. 

Edited by sidcow

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Pochettiong has lost 18 league games since 2018, hardly a red hot manager that will transform us immediately

Poch has moved  into the sport of Pong, but is it beer pong or ping pong??