Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He did spend £70m in the summer

And spurs, arsenal and Everton have all been so poor this season they've sacked their manager, that won't (shouldn't) happen next year then we'll get a better idea of how competitive they are

And that wasn't really the point, I don't think anyone was saying that he isn't a good manager or that they aren't doing really well or that we aren't envious... But just how good he is is being laid on too thick, he's overrated by some on here largely because they just want to use him as an opportunity to grin and bash Smith over the head with his success

Sorry but you cant downplay other teams being crap to justify your point.  Might as well say Leicester dont deserve praise for winning the premier league because the rest of the pack were not.

We spent double to what theg did and have been far worse. Sheffield united have played us off the park the last three times we played them. Even the 3-3 we were absolute garbage until the last 15 minutes or so.

Fact are he has been a success you can see they stayed up comfortably while smiths failed miserably as a pl manager 

41 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Was he CEO? If you’re right then obviously I’m talking bo11ox as far as that’s concerned! But he’s still had a lot to do in a very short period of time. There has been a lot of learning on the job throughout the senior ranks at the club. 

Christian Purslow was Managing Director at Liverpool and Head of Global affairs at Chelsea - he's very experienced.

Paul Tyrell has worked with Manchester City, Everton, Liverpool, Derby County and Fulham over a period of fifteen years.

Nicola Ibbetson was at Chelsea for four years and at Manchester United for three years before that.

They're the big three on the non-football side and they're a pretty formidable group - it's an area where we have a lot of experience and a lot of strength.

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sorry but you cant downplay other teams being crap to justify your point.  Might as well say Leicester dont deserve praise for winning the premier league because the rest of the pack were not.

We spent double to what theg did and have been far worse. Sheffield united have played us off the park the last three times we played them. Even the 3-3 we were absolute garbage until the last 15 minutes or so.

Fact are he has been a success you can see they stayed up comfortably while smiths failed miserably as a pl manager 

I think 'failed miserably' is harsh while we still have a good chance of staying up.  The main difference for me is Sheff Utd had their core players in place whereas we had to buy several of ours.  If we stay up then I think we will be in the position they were last summer where we have the spine of Heaton, Mings, McGinn, Jack (fingers crossed) and Samatta in place and then we can have a more targeted transfer approach rather than filling the squad out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think 'failed miserably' is harsh while we still have a good chance of staying up.  The main difference for me is Sheff Utd had their core players in place whereas we had to buy several of ours.  If we stay up then I think we will be in the position they were last summer where we have the spine of Heaton, Mings, McGinn, Jack (fingers crossed) and Samatta in place and then we can have a more targeted transfer approach rather than filling the squad out.

Well the table dont lie to me mate. Our last game was another premier leagie horror show. Just like the city game, the game away to watford. Smiths been a failure at this level. I like smith and want him to succeed but you cant hide facts that we have been garbage for most of the season.

You cant say wilder is over rated and then defend Smith considering how crap we are. If smith was doing what wilder had done this year we would all be creaming ourselves

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well the table dont lie to me mate. Our last game was another premier leagie horror show. Just like the city game, the game away to watford. Smiths been a failure at this level. I like smith and want him to succeed but you cant hide facts that we have been garbage for most of the season.

You cant say wilder is over rated and then defend Smith considering how crap we are. If smith was doing what wilder had done this year we would all be creaming ourselves

Wilder has done fantastically, my point was trying to put things in perspective at our end.  If we stay up and had a cup final then Smith would have met and probably exceeded my expectations too, having also exceeded my expectations last season in getting us up from the state we were in.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I bet you they go down next season.

I bet you everyone was saying that about Burnley 3 years ago. 

• Like 1

Burnley will go down sooner or later probably never to be seen again in the top flight for quite some time as has happend to similar sized clubs such as Blackburn, Stoke, and Bolton.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Watford seem to be very against continuing to play. Pearson doesn't seem happy

This could turn out badly for us... If the PL doesn't restart because of Watford refusing to play, then I think we'll probably be relegated, on the PPG basis. And Watford will stay up, on the PPG basis.  : (

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t really think they’ll go down. I got carried away. 
 I do think they’ll be in the relegation scrap though. 

If (and its a big if) we stay up then I'd expect us to pass them within the next 2 seasons

They're peaking this year and will find it very hard to push on unless they get CL, would expect spurs, arsenal, Everton, wolves, probably Newcastle to overtake them next year (maybe this year...) and then the slide will be on, they'll be doing what Bournemouth are doing within a couple of years 

19 minutes ago, robby b said:

This could turn out badly for us... If the PL doesn't restart because of Watford refusing to play, then I think we'll probably be relegated, on the PPG basis. And Watford will stay up, on the PPG basis.  : (

Or Watford get relegated for refusing to play, with all their results given as a 3 - 0 defeat, and the rest of the clubs play out the season.

I am not saying this is likely or feasible, but its possible.

I'd be against the league returning at all until the infections and deaths reach a much lower level, but that could takes months.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Christian Purslow was Managing Director at Liverpool and Head of Global affairs at Chelsea - he's very experienced.

Paul Tyrell has worked with Manchester City, Everton, Liverpool, Derby County and Fulham over a period of fifteen years.

Nicola Ibbetson was at Chelsea for four years and at Manchester United for three years before that.

They're the big three on the non-football side and they're a pretty formidable group - it's an area where we have a lot of experience and a lot of strength.

Ok first time at a big club 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not saying that time is the only thing that matters, just that it is a factor. I believe that a lot of the planning for this season was done in the belief that it would be spent building in the Championship. Obviously we weren’t going to turn down promotion, but as a club we’ve been a little caught on the hop. We don’t just have a relatively inexperienced head coach and coaching staff but we have inexperienced owners and CEO as far as football is concerned. 

The owners have demonstrated a great deal of ambition and have recognised that a huge amount of change was required throughout the whole structure of the club. Doing this in the Championship would have been a challenge, given the mess we were in and the expectations that are always there with a big football club, that challenge is obviously greatly ramped up in the Premiership. Most people accepted that this would be a tough season and we would most likely be in a relegation battle. I’m not so sure what a lot of people thought that would look like. If they thought a relegation battle can be conducted from the comfort of mid table then I’m afraid that was never going to happen. 

If we try to see things in the context of where we are in both the long term development of the club and the hard fact that we have a hastily built first team squad with a new recruiting team and an inexperienced coaching staff, then being in the relegation zone by 2 points and with 10 games to go with a game in hand is probably about where we could reasonably expect to be. Perhaps we have made mistakes with recruitment both in policy and individual purchases and yes there is plenty that we can criticise from a performance point of view which stands firmly at the feet of the coaches. Things need to change and I’m not saying that there isn’t an argument that one of those things could be the head coach, but it’s only fair to make those judgements in the context of our individual set of circumstances, which are unique for every club. The real comparison that will stand for anything at the end of the season is did we get more points than three other clubs.

At the end of the season I’m pretty sure that the board will have a lot of thinking to do. I don’t think staying up or going down will guarantee in themselves that Dean Smith will still be head coach next season. But I don’t think that where Sheffield United finish will make a blind bit of difference to that decision. Time is important, what you do with it is even more important, there are many factors and dare I say, only time will tell. 

Good Post Dave.

I too don't think where Sheffield Utd finish will have any bearing on Dean Smiths position.....but I would be surprised, if they didn't cast their eye with interest and how it was done on such a modest budget.

I am not for changing managers ad lib and I really want to see Dean make it....but improvement has to be identified, no matter how small......that is the barometer for indicating time will be THE factor.

It has to be said Dave, some of the defensive stats posted on this site by us is alarming.

irrespective of the style of play, he has to get a grip of it......and I desperately want him to.

I want Dean to make it.....But I know deep down, 56 goals against and some of the appalling mistakes, will conspire against him.

personally, I would give up some of the spectacle, to secure winning football. That is a compromise, I would happily make. I would much prefer to win first and add the flair later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, robby b said:

That scenario won’t happen, so don’t lose sleep over it. One club will not stop the other 19 getting on with things, if they refuse to play they’ll have points deducted. It’ll take 7 clubs to stop the restart in a vote. If there is no restart THEN we’re in a spot of bother. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Or Watford get relegated for refusing to play, with all their results given as a 3 - 0 defeat, and the rest of the clubs play out the season.

I am not saying this is likely or feasible, but its possible.

I'd be against the league returning at all until the infections and deaths reach a much lower level, but that could takes months.

If the UK doesn't enforce a proper lockdown then it will take months and the death toll will be even more unimaginably ridiculous for a country with the resources like the UK has. In that scenario I agree I don't think they should play. The draconian lockdown over here and the subsequent slow opening back up has worked here. There were only 18 new cases in Lazio yesterday and everywhere we went yesterday they took our temperature before going in, there was disinfectant going in and before the tills and EVERYONE had a mask and was good with keeping their distance. 

Until that becomes normal up there it's going to stay bad and the football shouldn't restart. If that means we go down on PPG it will be shit but we are in a much better place than the last time we went down.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Wilder has done fantastically, my point was trying to put things in perspective at our end.  If we stay up and had a cup final then Smith would have met and probably exceeded my expectations too, having also exceeded my expectations last season in getting us up from the state we were in.

Staying up is all that matters for the development of the club.

cups are cosmetic and a brilliant time for the fans.

The bread and butter and strength for the club, is the league.

our concerning defensive stats also suggest there is a mamouth amount of work to be done, before we can establish ourselves in this league.

The changes required moving from the championship to the Premiership are clear in my view.

Edited by TRO