Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

I wonder what we might do tactically/formation when we restart? Will we try and get Keinan Davis up top as a bit more of a target man to hold the ball up? If we do will we look to get Samatta playing off of Davis? Could it be something more like a 4-4-1-1? I’m not sure we’ll see 3 at the back again, though it can work well against certain opposition. As it stands I think my starting 11 for the “opening” game might be;

Nyland, Elmo, Targett, Engels, Mings, Nakamba, McGinn, Grealish, ElGhazi, Samatta, Davis. 

I do wonder if 3 at the back might allow us to be stronger in midfield and suit us with the personnel we have?

Didn't he return to 4-3-3 in our last game? Leicester (A)

We lost 4-0 but he said in his post match interview that he thought we looked ok defensively..

With McGinn back i think it's very likely he'll line up in his usual 4-3-3 formation.

Edited by villalad21

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

That implies some inherent happiness on the way round ?

Are you sure that's correct ? 😀

Spend enough time spinning you end up delirious!

• Haha 1

Reminder #28596 that the Premier League ghouls don't care about player safety.

The Premier League wants clubs to start full contact training by the end of next week but faces a significant effort to convince players, especially those from BAME backgrounds, to agree to the next stage of Project Restart.

Next week! Madness.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Self preservation is human nature ... I’m not sure why some find that notion hard to grasp ( not aimed at you btw!) there is literally hundreds of millions of £££ at stake and I would be super angry if we just bent over said thanks and accepted relegation just because that would be the cricketing thing to do. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Self preservation is human nature ... I’m not sure why some find that notion hard to grasp ( not aimed at you btw!) there is literally hundreds of millions of £££ at stake and I would be super angry if we just bent over said thanks and accepted relegation just because that would be the cricketing thing to do. 

Yes of course but EFL already made their stance. Relegation is happening regardless of the outcome.

The only thing voiders will achieve if they get their way is getting relegated sooner.

I don't think we'll stay up regardless, but i want to at least see us try getting out of it. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes of course but EFL already made their stance. Relegation is happening regardless of the outcome.

The only thing voiders will achieve if they get their way is getting relegated sooner.

I don't think we'll stay up regardless, but i want to at least see us try getting out of it. 

What a lot of people don't seem to understand though is the EFL's word is nowhere near final as it's ultimately the clubs that will vote and decide on whatever they want.

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What a lot of people don't seem to understand though is the EFL's word is nowhere near final as it's ultimately the clubs that will vote and decide on whatever they want.

Theoretically, could the PL still invite teams to be promoted and still not relegate anyone, as they are separate entities?

22 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Every game is winnable. The only fixture we have remaining that I thought “we’ll get nothing there” was at Liverpool, and even  the dynamics of that fixture could change if they’ve wrapped up the title by that time. You can’t tell me you’re overly worried about home fixtures against Sheffield Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Man Utd, Wolves? None of those teams exactly tearing up the league, are they?! And we have two very winnable away ties at Newcastle and West Ham. We should have McGinn back and also Keinan Davis. Compared to where we were when the football stopped it’s all positive. 

If we are that good at winning games.Why are we 19th with 10 games to go and the worst defensive record in the division ?

24 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

If we are that good at winning games.Why are we 19th with 10 games to go and the worst defensive record in the division ?

Win the game in hand and there would be 5 teams worse at it than us, that's all that matters 

And corona has potential to do weird things to results, the Palace game for example, if they are fitter and more up for it than us then we have some seriously unforgivable problems, the end of the season is going to be a countdown to getting the **** out of there, just have to hope we come up against teams and players that have already gone whilst we manage to get some fire in us

I've come full circle to the idea of playing it out - if it can be done it gives everyone a sporting chance to finish the season where they deserve to be. It's clearly imperfect, but it feels a better way to decide things than anything else - if it can be done. I'm looking forward to seeing McGinn play and some relegation fights despite playing behind closed doors and all the other things that'll make it crap. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Win the game in hand and there would be 5 teams worse at it than us, that's all that matters 

And corona has potential to do weird things to results, the Palace game for example, if they are fitter and more up for it than us then we have some seriously unforgivable problems, the end of the season is going to be a countdown to getting the **** out of there, just have to hope we come up against teams and players that have already gone whilst we manage to get some fire in us

Are you feeling confident in the prospect of us beating a top 4 chasing Sheffield United?

18 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Has quest tv Coverage improved does anyone know cause I just feel now like I should be preparing myself for the drop... And it was so painful To watch ... 

I don't want to drop, either, in spite of the pain of this season. But I must admit it was rather nice to be the big fish in the pond.

57 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Theoretically, could the PL still invite teams to be promoted and still not relegate anyone, as they are separate entities?

I'm not sure to be honest. There must be an agreed framework for club movement between the leagues, however with rules changing anyway I guess clubs could vote to change whatever they want.

Someone mentioned the other day that the EFL clauses on promotion/relegation specifically mentioned something like promotion and relegation can only be confirmed when the last scheduled games of the season have been played. 

As they'll be ripping up the rulebook anyway it will be whatever the majority wants to end the season. The EFL is really difficult to second guess though as having several leagues (with a wide variance of finances) means it's slightly harder to group motives.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Are you feeling confident in the prospect of us beating a top 4 chasing Sheffield United?

Pre corona definitely not

Post corona I have more hope, McGinn back everyone feeling a bit weird, its levelled it a little 

They battered us last time but largely through just wanting it more than we did, hopefully deano can drill home the importance that if we play this game (potentially first) get level with everyone else and then a load of cases appear amongst players then that's us done (I don't believe that will happen) 

With everything that's happened I think measuring sticks for us are skewed, new team, some awful VAR decisions, injuries etc but now we're back I think the big one for me is who wants it more, Sheffield utd being fitter and more committed than us is criminal under any circumstances, the likes of Palace and Newcastle with nothing to play for in the restart being fitter and wanting it more than us is a more sackable offence than the results

Edited by villa4europe

Gents, please keep this thread to opinions, thoughts and information on the Premier League season. Any debate about posters will be removed.

Please remember any posts on posters rather than their opinions are against the site's guidelines and likely to derail any kind of useful discussion. If you'd rather not hear from specific individuals, please use the ignore function.

Thank you

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Pre corona definitely not

Post corona I have more hope, McGinn back everyone feeling a bit weird, its levelled it a little 

They battered us last time but largely through just wanting it more than we did, hopefully deano can drill home the importance that if we play this game (potentially first) get level with everyone else and then a load of cases appear amongst players then that's us done (I don't believe that will happen) 

With everything that's happened I think measuring sticks for us are skewed, new team, some awful VAR decisions, injuries etc but now we're back I think the big one for me is who wants it more, Sheffield utd being fitter and more committed than us is criminal under any circumstances, the likes of Palace and Newcastle with nothing to play for in the restart being fitter and wanting it more than us is a more sackable offence than the results

Fair.

Just wonder how long McGinn will take to get up to speed, remember he's been out for a long time.

What will the midfield be though? Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba/Luiz/McGinn/Hourihane?

I still rate Conor. He's been in the starting eleven in our most dominant displays this season. Newcastle (H) and Norwich (A)