Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fair.

Just wonder how long McGinn will take to get up to speed, remember he's been out for a long time.

What will the midfield be though? Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba/Luiz/McGinn/Hourihane?

I still rate Conor. He's been in the starting eleven in our most dominant displays this season. Newcastle (H) and Norwich (A)

What I would say about Sheffield based on their fans popping up on villa social media comments is that they're crazy confident 

And that going for 4th...i can see them not even getting europa... And i hope they don't, come across as right assholes on the brink of a new world order 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fair.

Just wonder how long McGinn will take to get up to speed, remember he's been out for a long time.

What will the midfield be though? Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba/Luiz/McGinn/Hourihane?

I still rate Conor. He's been in the starting eleven in our most dominant displays this season. Newcastle (H) and Norwich (A)

McGinn and Drinkwater will be at same level as every one else now as everyone has had a long break , listening to interviews some have literally not kicked a ball in weeks 

28 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Drinkwater will be at same level as every one else now as everyone has had a long break , listening to interviews some have literally not kicked a ball in weeks 

I seriously doubt that!

53 minutes ago, Nabby said:

McGinn and Drinkwater will be at same level as every one else now as everyone has had a long break , listening to interviews some have literally not kicked a ball in weeks 

I doubt that, drinky wasn't at the same level when he was training normally.

35 minutes ago, John said:

Yes, I think Sheffield United had a great start to the season, but they're still no Barcelona are they?

Who knows, by the time we get to play them, they might have nothing left to play for as well. We gave them a three goal start the last time we met at Villa Park, they managed to get a draw out of that one

They are a hard working side and they have confidence, but I suspect that second season syndrome may come into play for them next season. I also think that we can give them a bit of a game, whenever we next meet at Villa Park! 🤞   

You should work for the government ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Yes, I think Sheffield United had a great start to the season, but they're still no Barcelona are they?

Who knows, by the time we get to play them, they might have nothing left to play for as well. We gave them a three goal start the last time we met at Villa Park, they managed to get a draw out of that one. 

They are a hard working side and they have confidence, but I suspect that second season syndrome may come into play for them next season. I also think that we can give them a bit of a game, whenever we next meet at Villa Park! 🤞   

Listening to Wilder the other night they are not going to ease off. They are really up for the restart 

I have this sinking feeling we are down regardless, we dont have enough quality or the mentality to win matches.

Hope obviously I'm wrong and that the enforced break will have done us some good, just think we are so fragile.

• Like 2

Just now, PaulC said:

Listening to Wilder the other night they are not going to ease off. They are really up for the restart 

They are.

Checked out their forum as well. They can't wait for the season to restart.

Palace and Newcastle are games we just have to win. Sheff Utd will be a very difficult task. I'd be very happy with a point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I have this sinking feeling we are down regardless, we dont have enough quality or the mentality to win matches.

Hope obviously I'm wrong and that the enforced break will have done us some good, just think we are so fragile.

Makes you wonder how crucial that robbed point against Palace will prove. I just question the mental strength of certain players if we concede early or late. Empty stadiums might even have a positive impact on them. It's a unique factor.

I hope the time away, where Smith mentioned reviewing each player's individual performances with them, can shake some of these weaknesses. The story of the season has been too many individual mistakes, tactical and transfer market naivity. The hand was always difficult with a rebuild but there are few excuses for such attitudes.

Edited by The_Steve

7 minutes ago, Nabby said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/11992991/ligue-1-lyon-amiens-and-toulouse-appeals-rejected-by-french-judge

French clubs lose appeal on ending Season , teams relegated and Lyon miss out of Champs league 

I do feel bad for them, such an awful way to go. Premier League as well won't give a crap about appeals. We're small fish in a big pond.

We'll have to do this the hard way.

Edited by villalad21

For me, if it does all restart eventually, any performances from the 1st 3/4  of the season will not be too much of an indicator as to what will happen over the remaining ten games. Way too much has changed. It will effectively be a brand new nine or in our case ten game mini season in which we have to get three more points than the teams just above us to survive. What that total number of points would be is anybody's guess.

We do have some major positives going into it though with John McGinn back, some players who needed a rest maybe benefiting and a management & coaching team who just may have had time to rethink things a bit. Add to that the unknown impact of no Crowds of course!

Of course there could be some down sides too but that works for both us & any opponents.

I am still not convinced we will get those games however as the "R" rate is already back up between 0.7 & 1 so right on the cusp of a 2nd wave with a sunny Bank holiday fast approaching.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 3

Watching the Berlin game (it's horrible) 

How long until someone thinks of sticking sponsored netting over the seats in the lower tiers? 

Let's be honest that's the reason this is being played at the stadiums and not the training ground / down the park 

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Doesn't make it any less true.

We are 19th because we are the 2nd worst team in the league. And for this game in hand, the Blades are very likely to beat us, they are better than us in all areas and is fighting for top 4.

Our run in is brutal and we'll have to see something we've not seen so far this season. Winning a game against a big side.

We'll have to see something new from Dean. If he try to play like he did against Spurs at home we are down.

We weren't that bad against Spurs. For the first 20 minutes, I thought we were bossing it. Our biggest failure, this season, has been an inability to capitalise on our momentum. We lack the mental strength to assert our game on the opposition. We have been, on most occasions, the architects of our own downfall.

I'm hoping this break will be a blessing in disguise, let's face it,  we looked like a team doomed before the break. I really hope we can turn it around and come back next season with a lot more purpose and ambition, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Wilder isn't going to say anything else it's basically along the same lines as to what most managers will say, he and their fans can afford to be buoyant about the season restartng because they know that they've got nothing to lose, that doesn't mean that they're going to carry on where they left off, this period without play wlll have an affect on some teams just like the normal summer breaks does, doesn't mean that we should be dismissing the idea of beating them either, if we're writing off games like that then I'd suggest we really are in trouble and that kind of defeatism is part of the problem.

Not saying we cant beat them I just think they will be at it more than most clubs and I don't believe hes just saying it.