Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

It's not fair for any team to be relegated when there's still 23.684210526316% of the season still left to be played, so if we were to play Sheffield United and lose that game us going down wouldn't be fair, as there's no telling how we'd do in the nine remaing fixtures, and equally if we were to beat them then that wouldn't be fair on Watford, or indeed Bournemouth and Norwich. Relegating teams based on an incomplete season is unjust whichever way you look at it.

• Like 3

The best thing I've seen is to scrap the last round of games so we have all played the same amount, end the season there and dish out the trophies, promotions and relegations, then start planning for next season properly.

22 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The best thing I've seen is to scrap the last round of games so we have all played the same amount, end the season there and dish out the trophies, promotions and relegations, then start planning for next season properly.

Sorry mate, that’s idiotic.  I could easily say why not take out the games/round when we were supposed to play Sheff Utd and then dish out places, that fair as well.  It’s not fair because one we would be relegated and one we would not. 

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

There is no ideal solution really. You can dismiss one, then think of another ten minutes later and it will likely be a proposal much worse than the previous one as we've seen with a few the premier league have put forward.

Football is in limbo rest of 2020 really if/when it comes back.

Have to say I'm really against the neutral venues thing. If you can't allow us to play in an empty and cordoned off VP then BCD football shouldn't return until we and every other premier league team can play on home turf to get a tiny bit of normality back.

Pretty sure England is only league that's proposed the neutral venues idea.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sorry mate, that’s idiotic.  I could easily say why not take out the games/round when we were supposed to play Sheff Utd and then dish out places, that fair as well.  It’s not fair because one we would be relegated and one we would not. 

bad logic

We all agree this going to be a bad decision whatever.

I think the PL members need to be open and just say they will decide of the 6 team (Brighton, W Ham, Watford, Bmouth, Villa and Norwich) which teams they want to relegate or save and then figure out a system to relegate those teams.

• We know they wont relegate West Ham so Home & Away PPG wont be used as that looks like the only way they will be relegated
  • They wont care about Norwich and argue to back that up that they are 6 points from safety.
  • Villa, oh, old big team team, good fan base, rich owners, influential CEO but is that enough I'm not sure because they arent really a sexy club so let's put them as a maybe
  • Brighton.....ahh they have 2 point lead above relegation...hmmm ok.
  • So how do they feel about Bmouth and Watford.

So work out who they want relegated and then find a system to relegate them.

I'm kind of joking but at the same time if the season doesnt continue and relegation isnt scrapped then whatever method to decide relegation will be completely arbitrary and thus they are choosing who they want to relegate or who they want to save not based on actual playing but who they think should go down because there are many ways to formulate different outcomes for the relegation places. 

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Guys we ain't staying in the Premier League anyway with our remaining fixtures. Chelsea, Sheffield,  Liverpool, Wolves, Man u to name a few.

Our competitors have similar fixtures.  We only need to fluke some results and we know we can score goals, just stopping them is the problem.  I think we have just as much chance as the teams around us to survive

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

bad logic

why?  you arbitrarily picked one round and I picked a different round of games.  Why is the last round better logic than the round it was supposed to be played? (we were playing in the league cup)  Surely the better logic is voiding the round we were supposed to play the game in? 

2 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

The day they took a 22/23 team Premier league off the table is when they made it a legal disaster.

They could’ve awarded Liverpool the title, cancelled relegation and decided European places and promotion from the  Championship on PPG.

Yes the EFL would've had to put up with a slightly less glamorous set of teams in the Championship for one season - but that would be offset by having 5 come down the next. Plus League 1 down could've ended their seasons early and saved themselves a ton of money.

The PL could've called it the Super-Prem and hyped it up something rotten - they would've made a fortune!

Completely agree, this would've been a win win all around.  From a public perception as well, that football has thought about fans health, got a reasonable solution together early so focus could be on health and setting up for next season but instead they have created this farce of unknown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You want to be relegated mate? Because that's what is likely to happen. They'll do points average per game.

Finishing the season is our best chance surviving in the league.

This is a rather complex situation with lot's of conflicting interests. 

• All PL clubs want the TV money.
  • Some PL clubs, bottum 6-7-8, are probably ok with not getting the money if it means no relegations.
  • Those outside the relegation zone on a PPG average are probably ok with voiding the season, with relegations.They don't want a restart with relegations.
  • Those inside the relegations zone on a PPG average only want the season voided if it means no relegations. They would rather play than accept relegation.
  • Many clubs do not really want to play, but will play if they have to to get the money. 
  • Players are sceptical and probably don't want to play if they can choose. Some will probably refuse.
  • Refs are sceptical and probably don't want to go to work if they can choose. Some will probably refuse.
  • All the TV companies around the world would probably be happy if they didn't have to pay for what everyone understands will not be Premier League
  • In the end it isn't the clubs, but the government that decides on if, when and how they can start. 
  • The EFL want their clubs promoted.
  • At some point in time there will be 2020/21-season. This situation can't drag on forever.

So I'm not sure finishing the season is our best chance of survival, it just depends on who's doing what and when. If they get OK to restart July 15th, it's probably too late. The league as a whole will think it's in their best interest to void the season and focus on 2020/21.We haven't been against playing (as long as it's safe), we're not relegated and this is force majeure for the Premier League.

They don't have to accept promotions because the league hasn't been able to finish due to government regulations (3rd party, out of their hands). PL to be sued by EFL if clubs aren't promoted, PL to be sued by relegated clubs if relegated on a PPG average. Will probably go for being sued by EFL, as no clubs have been promoted to the PL and don't have a strong case. Just hand over the parachute money to EFL as a compensation and let them sort out how it's distributed.

If PL get's the green light to play in time to finish this season and we're against it and refusing to play, then it's something else.
PL can threaten to relegate on a PPG average, but it's a non credible threath. Relegating on PPG means season voided, and no TV money. PL to be sued by relegated clubs on top of this. Nobody wants this scenario.

So the best thing for us is the season can only start when it's too late. Then it has to be voided, but not by the PL:

Clubs relegated should, at the very least, not be relegated with just normal parachute payments. I'm quite sure the PL would make a deal with substantial extra payments as a settlement for not being sued by clubs relegated unfairly.

Relegated clubs suing PL will win. Rule C1 says that all clubs should play each other twice (home and away= and based on their final league position clubs are relegated (rule C15). To be able to meet rule C1 all clubs must agree that they accept a neutral ground as their home ground for their home games. Which is what we currently won't do. But we could agree to if the PL puts enough extra cash in it to sweeten the deal for clubs relegated..

So this, lilke most other things, can be solved by money.

13 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Relegated clubs suing PL will win. Rule C1 says that all clubs should play each other twice (home and away= and based on their final league position clubs are relegated (rule C15). To be able to meet rule C1 all clubs must agree that they accept a neutral ground as their home ground for their home games. Which is what we currently won't do. But we could agree to if the PL puts enough extra cash in it to sweeten the deal for clubs relegated..

I agree with most you said but even sweetening with extra cash I wouldnt take.  Look at how many teams have got relegated and never got back.  Long term financials could be huge and 3 years stuck in the Championship is not a long time, we were there that long....how long have Leeds, Forest and teams like that have been.  Additionally the gulf in quality and money between PL and Championship is growing every season.

• Like 1

The whole situation is now getting boring,it’s obvious all the PL is bothered about is money which we all already knew.Peoples health is more important to everybody but the PL so let them do what they want now and sort this mess out.

26 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

The day they took a 22/23 team Premier league off the table is when they made it a legal disaster.

They could’ve awarded Liverpool the title, cancelled relegation and decided European places and promotion from the  Championship on PPG.

Yes the EFL would've had to put up with a slightly less glamorous set of teams in the Championship for one season - but that would be offset by having 5 come down the next. Plus League 1 down could've ended their seasons early and saved themselves a ton of money.

The PL could've called it the Super-Prem and hyped it up something rotten - they would've made a fortune!

I still think that's the best proposal all in all bar obviously not really knowing if you could complete a season with more games.

That said cup and european competitions get cancelled for whenever next season starts and it will work out as less games overall for vast majority of teams.

• Like 1

Voiding the season.

Liverpool get's handed the title. Baggies and Leeds get's rewarded promotion.

We'll get handed relegation. F**k off. We have to avoid this at any cost. Don't care if i have to wait 10 months. Just finish the season.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

why?  you arbitrarily picked one round and I picked a different round of games.  Why is the last round better logic than the round it was supposed to be played? (we were playing in the league cup)  Surely the better logic is voiding the round we were supposed to play the game in? 

I couldn't give a rats ass one way or the other as long as it puts the least lives at risk. Up or down we are still Aston Villa and I love the club which ever league we play in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

It's not fair for any team to be relegated when there's still 23.684210526316% of the season still left to be played, so if we were to play Sheffield United and lose that game us going down wouldn't be fair, as there's no telling how we'd do in the nine remaing fixtures, and equally if we were to beat them then that wouldn't be fair on Watford, or indeed Bournemouth and Norwich. Relegating teams based on an incomplete season is unjust whichever way you look at it.

It's not fair to Leeds and Baggies to miss out on the money sink in the PL either. They were set for promotion.

No matter how they handle a possible "void" someone will lose.

Just finish the season somehow. It's the most fair for everyone.