Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

30 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

From what I saw last night when people in our street party completely ignored social distancing the cases of Coronaviruses are going to increase alarmingly and any thoughts of finishing the season will be foolish in the extreme.

The second-wave will arrive soon enough, the way people are carrying on you would think Lockdown was eased already.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But we were still struggling with him in the team. 

Couldn't even beat a 10 man Arsenal with a struggling Unai.

Struggling so badly they only played the highest goalscorer in the last 2 seasons

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Struggling so badly they only played the highest goalscorer in the last 2 seasons

Dont get in the way of him being negative about the Villa, it defeats his arguments 😉

43 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Do you have anything positive to say about our club? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We spent very little time in the relegation zone with him in the team. We were struggling sure, but most of the bottom half are struggling. I think he could well have contributed to us having another two or three points minimum had he been fit this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Why would they? If they have the option without consequences to back out, why would multi millionaires risk it if others are not doing it as well.  

They have families as well, young children, old parents and we still don’t know the long term effects of this virus.  These players also have short careers so missing a couple of months ensuring their health may pay dividends in the future.

Its a bit like conscription during the war if your mates sign up then you feel abliged to do so yourself. That's what I think anyway. 

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its a bit like conscription during the war if your mates sign up then you feel abliged to do so yourself. That's what I think anyway. 

Definitely don’t think footballers are like that, people who their life on the line compared to youngsters that have never had anybody say no to them, paid millions, work very little and adored by millions.  We are seeing these people breaking lockdowns on a daily basis and not care and so I wouldn’t compare them to conscription or think they would care about being abliged to.

I think as well as the motivations of the players, there's the motivations of individual clubs and the relationships between clubs and their players to consider.

So for example Sergio Aguero has said he's scared - he'll need to be persuaded to play. Manchester City don't really have much to play for over the nine games, it's difficult to see them dropping out of the Champions league positions, with a twelve point gap over United, they'd realistically need maybe twelve points - and they'll also know they might not be getting Champions league qualification anyway. City would like an extra year out of Aguero going forward - so they're really unlikely to be strong-arm him into playing games that don't affect them much if it's going to upset him.

They might have another player in their squad that don't feel has done enough to earn his money, or a youngster who is just desperate to play some football that they're more than willing to get in - especially if that player isn't a big part of their plans for next season.

I'm increasingly convinced that the league will find a way to make this happen - and I'm increasingly convinced that it's going to be a laughable shambles of a football tournament - I wouldn't be surprised if there are clubs (like City) who will take their first team squads completely out of the picture half way through and start a pre-season camp somewhere else.

• Like 1

It is a farcical situation especially in light of those countries who have realised and decided to end their respective leagues.

I'm still dumbfounded by the footballing authorities to be so recklessly chasing money over health.

• Like 2

With the news that non whites are A lot  more susceptible to catching and dying from corona virus I wonder if many will refuse to play.  I would fully support them if they did . It’s farcical they are trying to push this through ... football doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of life... 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He was struggling - he was carrying a thigh injury prior to his main injury. 

I see that Gary Neville has suggested playing the remaining games using the stadiums belonging to the bottom six clubs, as a way of 'disarming' the argument against playing at neutral grounds. Only problem with that is that it doesn't really solve anything, as even playing at your home stadium your still essentially losing home advantage if your home crowd isn't in the stadium, which is also why the argument that Spurs qualifed for the champions league playing at neutral stadium doesn't work, they had their home crowd to cheer them on.

And as Purslow pointed out it's not just the stadium situation that puts the clubs nearer the bottom of the table at a disadvantage should the season resume, it's also that those clubs have squads less equipped to deal with a scenario where two or three of their players catch virus, but it's also those clubs who stand to lose the most.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think as well as the motivations of the players, there's the motivations of individual clubs and the relationships between clubs and their players to consider.

So for example Sergio Aguero has said he's scared - he'll need to be persuaded to play. Manchester City don't really have much to play for over the nine games, it's difficult to see them dropping out of the Champions league positions, with a twelve point gap over United, they'd realistically need maybe twelve points - and they'll also know they might not be getting Champions league qualification anyway. City would like an extra year out of Aguero going forward - so they're really unlikely to be strong-arm him into playing games that don't affect them much if it's going to upset him.

They might have another player in their squad that don't feel has done enough to earn his money, or a youngster who is just desperate to play some football that they're more than willing to get in - especially if that player isn't a big part of their plans for next season.

I'm increasingly convinced that the league will find a way to make this happen - and I'm increasingly convinced that it's going to be a laughable shambles of a football tournament - I wouldn't be surprised if there are clubs (like City) who will take their first team squads completely out of the picture half way through and start a pre-season camp somewhere else.

The Lyon chairmen has complained that if the Champs league semi goes ahead as now scheduled in August they will be playing catch up with rest of league next season who will be in pre season at that point 

One interesting idea I have seen is the PL will offer larger parachute payments for those relegated to get them to play 

40 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The Lyon chairmen has complained that if the Champs league semi goes ahead as now scheduled in August they will be playing catch up with rest of league next season who will be in pre season at that point 

There is a chance that Wolves could play a 2020-21 Europa league qualifier midweek, followed by the 2019-20 Europa League final at the weekend.

If they were to win the final, they'd no longer be in the 2020-21 Europa league and the qualification game would I guess just be written off.

• Confused 1

They should push back Qatar 2022 to the following year to give the leagues and associations time to sort themselves out. 

Also with what’s happened at Dresden isn’t surprising and what happens in 14 days if other show symptoms - another 14 days isolation. So basically could be 4 weak until they can play a game. How’s that gunna work with end of season deadlines ? Then what happens if other teams have to no doubt have to self isolate? ..picture this last game of the season winner stays up but the game can’t go ahead due to one team having to isolate - what then ?  Its a fantasy designed to appease TV bosses and they couldn’t give a **** about the fans and the players .

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1