Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s inevitable that a player will test positive at some point, then where do they go if there is squad, training or even game interaction because it won’t just be one player that will have to quarantine but many.

I agree, but I'm sure I heard a suggestion made that if that occurred, the player would be put in isolation and the rest of the team would then be tested before the next game. If their tests came back negative, they could play and it would be treated the same as where a player is out injured. I couldn't believe that was being suggested by someone when I heard it, but with some of the reports that have been made recently, who knows? I wouldn't put anything past the PL at the moment, they're a disgrace! 

I know it's the Daily Mail but this is a disgusting attack. We, West Hham, Brighton and Watford are being described as 'dissidents' for not going along 100% with Project Restart (not true).

All they have is speculation, columns to write with no matches. This isn't even good journalism, it's baiting rival fans and creating scapegoats when the league is unable to go ahead fully. This is incredibly serious, yet people's lives are presented as secondary.

No room for pragmatism. Why not explore how footballers are losing their livelihoods in lower leagues. The impending crash. Or, how non-white players (and their loved ones and other non-playing staff) will be harder hit by the virus.

The Times did the same thing with the Purslow comments, creating more bait for rival fans. They honestly want football at any cost, I mean, it is their job. This isn't journalism, as I said earlier. It's PR. And best they are the sternographers for the FA and the TV companies. All vested towards a catastrophic outcome if this goes ahead. Look at people today? A whiff of any relaxation and hundreds hit the parks. The police will not be able to deal with large crowds of football fans. Not during a pandemic.

The hubris of these ghouls.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thinking about the football and what it will actually be like - the lack of atmosphere, the motivation for players, the problems with clubs fielding weakened teams, the potential for injuries and the glory in great performances - isn't it great to be hearing so much talk in all of the media and from all of the teams about the football itself, about the games and play?

Except they haven't mentioned it anywhere - not the players, not the media and most certainly not the clubs. 

It'll be interesting to see if players are so committed to tackles as risk of getting injured, concussion, suspected breaks/fractures, head injuries, ligmament injuries etc would probably require hospital treatment. Wonder how many millionaires will fancy a nice trip to A&E? 

• Like 2

Tbh, lets just do everything we can to void the season. Sod what anyone else things. All other clubs, leagues, organisations etc just want to look after number one. Why shouldn’t we.

Not being relegated suits us. Let’s do whatever we need to do to make that happen. 

Sounds like the league have come up with a plan for the 1st July and the end of the contract year - a mini transfer window for players out of contract.

Those players would then move and be available for selection in the Project Restart season - I say we go out and get both of Watford's keepers on the last day - add Willian and Ryan Fraser and we should be fine. :)

I think it's a terrible idea from a sporting perspective, but from a "we don't care, just get the bloody TV money" perspective, It solves the contract problem quite neatly for the league.

29 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

It'll be interesting to see if players are so committed to tackles as risk of getting injured, concussion, suspected breaks/fractures, head injuries, ligmament injuries etc would probably require hospital treatment. Wonder how many millionaires will fancy a nice trip to A&E? 

Genuinely dont see some teams caring. Liverpool, City, Everton, Burnley, Palace maybe even Arsenal and Spurs. nothing left in the season for them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I agree, but I'm sure I heard a suggestion made that if that occurred, the player would be put in isolation and the rest of the team would then be tested before the next game. If their tests came back negative, they could play and it would be treated the same as where a player is out injured. I couldn't believe that was being suggested by someone when I heard it, but with some of the reports that have been made recently, who knows? I wouldn't put anything past the PL at the moment, they're a disgrace! 

We just heard, the Whitehouse whose over cautious but the VP press secretary before a flight tested positive so what happens before a game if a player tests positive, wasnt Dybala positive for 4 to 6 weeks. So just before Villa Play Liverpool that Grealish about 30 minutes beforehand that Jack tests positive, then what happens?  Villa players quarantine or Villa and Liverpool quarantine?

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We just heard, the Whitehouse whose over cautious but the VP press secretary before a flight tested positive so what happens before a game if a player tests positive, wasnt Dybala positive for 4 to 6 weeks. So just before Villa Play Liverpool that Grealish about 30 minutes beforehand that Jack tests positive, then what happens?  Villa players quarantine or Villa and Liverpool quarantine?

My understanding is that they'd test the players with enough time to ensure that if jack tested positive - they'd have time to retest and know if any of the others had - if they then found that McGinn had too, then the game would go ahead without those two players. If eight players tested positive, then from what I can gather, the show goes on without them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

My understanding is that they'd test the players with enough time to ensure that if jack tested positive - they'd have time to retest and know if any of the others had - if they then found that McGinn had too, then the game would go ahead without those two players. If eight players tested positive, then from what I can gather, the show goes on without them.

They treat it like a normal injury ....which is laughable when you could have more than one player go down, tough shit play what ever players you have left .14 days without multiple player likely to miss up to 3 games ..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If the Premier League insist on changing the games to 80 minutes a half they should also reset the season points tally to correct this as well.

Go back to the old days 2pts for a win 1 for a draw 

If the league gets cancelled then we go down,  it suits Brighton , West ham and co thats why their moaning about neutral venues, they dont risk being relegated unless we play the season out or play our game in hand . 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, tinker said:

If the league gets cancelled then we go down,  it suits Brighton , West ham and co thats why their moaning about neutral venues, they dont risk being relegated unless we play the season out or play our game in hand . 

Watford too. More in our interest to vote for it really if we are to get relegated and then to attempt legal proceedings.

The question we need to ask ourselves is Do we have a better chance on the football ball pitch or in court of securing our place in the Premier League next season 

Edited by PaulC

58 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If the Premier League insist on changing the games to 80 minutes a half they should also reset the season points tally to correct this as well.

80 minutes a half, not sure what's going to kill the players first, corona or bloody crawling on the floor from fatigue..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Genuinely dont see some teams caring. Liverpool, City, Everton, Burnley, Palace maybe even Arsenal and Spurs. nothing left in the season for them

There is still quite  a bit of bunce in the finishing places/performance bonuses etc plus teams who want to qualify for Europe so I think there would be a reasonable level of effort but surely not the same intensity without the crowds.

Woke up to not find my phone fearing it outside from the bbq and a storm a coming, searched everywhere, got the wife's phone on torch mode, looked at every blade of grass. Nothing. Went on find my phone, it was under my pillow. 

Still got beer - BBC news 24 has never been more fascinating. 

Little Richard is dead!!!!! OMFG!!!!

Edited by Jareth

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Woke up to not find my phone fearing it outside from the bbq and a storm a coming, searched everywhere, got the wife's phone on torch mode, looked at every blade of grass. Nothing. Went on find my phone, it was under my pillow. 

Still got beer - BBC news 24 has never been more fascinating. 

Little Richard is dead!!!!! OMFG!!!!

Go to bed