Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

16 hours ago, useless said:

Well that's that we're stuck in the relegation zone over the international break. When the Premier league returns Wolves play Chelsea, Watford have Arsenal, and Norwich are at home to Man City, Newcastle are also away to Liverpool, all results won't go our way, but at least our rivals have some tough games coming up, Wolves I expect to be comfortably midtable come the end of the season, I just include them because they're the team immediately above us and have some difficult games coming up. Need that win against West Ham, otherwise we could be stuck in the bottom three for a while.

Give your head a wobble, why are you looking at Wolves fixtures as though it's going to define our season after 4 games?

The league table means nothing until October.

• Like 3

If's and But's

The end of August and we are 1 off the pace. It's become clear that the target right now is to avoid relegation, anything other than that would be a bonus.

40 is the magic number of points we need to beat relegation. Last season this would have achieved 15th place in the league.

To achieve this we would require 4 points per month.

August - 3 points

September 

West Ham - Win

Arsenal - Loss

Burnley - Win

Predicted Points - 6

We are now 1 points off the target after the first month. We only have 3 games next month to get back on track with 5 points being the target.

The two home games are massive.

29 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

If's and But's

The end of August and we are 1 off the pace. It's become clear that the target right now is to avoid relegation, anything other than that would be a bonus.

40 is the magic number of points we need to beat relegation. Last season this would have achieved 15th place in the league.

To achieve this we would require 4 points per month.

August - 3 points

September 

West Ham - Win

Arsenal - Loss

Burnley - Win

Predicted Points - 6

We are now 1 points off the target after the first month. We only have 3 games next month to get back on track with 5 points being the target.

The two home games are massive.

i said all along we needed 9 points by the end of sept based on the games we have. we really need to be winning those. but we always win at the emerates, so probably should add another 3 there :)

With so many new players to bed in I think it is safe to assume we will start poorly and get better as the season goes on as they get more and more minutes together. We have shown glimpses of what we can achieve but still aren't quite at the pace of the premier league yet. No need to panic and I genuinely believe we will get better and more assured with every match if we keep the faith with Deano's system. After all, if we had gotten a deserved point at Palace I think we would have been pretty happy with our total.

• Like 1

Think people underestimated Palace , a good Premier League team who have a great record. We are still building a team and should have left Palace with a point and that would have been a great result. 

We need to just sit back and enjoy the ride and hope that the team can be good enough to stay up. I think it can  if we can ride the bad results and to coin a phrase , go again .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Think people underestimated Palace , a good Premier League team who have a great record. We are still building a team and should have left Palace with a point and that would have been a great result. 

We need to just sit back and enjoy the ride and hope that the team can be good enough to stay up. I think it can  if we can ride the bad results and to coin a phrase , go again .

Didn't underestimate them. They got outplayed against Sheff Utd and although they won at Old Trafford the stats from that game shows they really rode their luck.

Must have gained tons of confidence after the win at OT. They didn't look anything from the team i watched against Sheff Utd and Man U.

No I won't give my head a wobble, that sounds like something a Danny Dyer wannabe would say, and to say that the results or the league table doesn't matter at this stage is arrogance, of course it matters come the end of the season, points won and lost now can be the difference between going down or staying up. And I'm looking at Wolves fixtures because they're team immediately above us in the table and I wanted us to be above them going into the West Ham game, I allowed for the fact they'd be comfortably midtable come the end of the season, but for now I'd like us to get out of the bottom three as soon as possible, if Norwich and Watford lose in the next round of matches and Wolves lose by more than two goals then we will come out of the bottom three going into the West Ham game which should take some of the pressure of us, and give the team a psychological boost, so of course I'm looking at their fixtures, even though I expect them to finish comfortably above us come the end ot the season. Fact of the matter is come the West Ham we could well be very much in need of the three points

5 hours ago, omariqy said:

In reality football just doesn't work like that. You have to take each game as it comes. We will have a few surprise results and a few shockers. We will have a run of games where we can't buy a win and a run where we look like we are flying. 

happens every season really. I would have taken 17th at the beginning of the season and still would. I still think that we'll be fine but it could end up being a nailbiter in may and I'm pretty sure that will be the case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

The league table means nothing right now. It's not arrogance.

We are 3 points off 8th.

The mass panic from fans is the only thing that will put pressure on the players right now, not the league position after 4 games.

whilst the league table might mean very little now, the sheer lack of clear cut chances created, signings that we've spent big money on underperforming, and being bossed by sides that you'd expect to be fighting relegation with are very valid concerns

There's no 'mass panic' from fans, just one or two expressing concerns, you will see the same on every football forum in one way or another. And of course the league table means something now, I'm not saying this is a realisitic scenario but I'll use a positive one to beautifully illustrate my point, imagine come the end of the season we finish 8th with 57 points, and we miss out on finising 7th by say 1 point, if we'd have had 5 points now rather than 3, we would have made europe, points don't suddenly begin to mean something at some arbitrary fixture in the season, they all count towards the seasons total.

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

whilst the league table might mean very little now, the sheer lack of clear cut chances created, signings that we've spent big money on underperforming, and being bossed by sides that you'd expect to be fighting relegation with are very valid concerns

I think it was to be expected, the amount of signings we made meant that it was going to take some time for it all to click.

We certainly haven't been playing badly other than the second half against Palace though we were playing with 10 men.

There are signs that we will be alright, McGinn, Grealish, Mings, Engels & Heaton are a solid spine. I think we will be fine over the next few months and January will give us a chance to re-recruit if required.

The Everton game fills me with hope for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't underestimate them. They got outplayed against Sheff Utd and although they won at Old Trafford the stats from that game shows they really rode their luck.

Must have gained tons of confidence after the win at OT. They didn't look anything from the team i watched against Sheff Utd and Man U.

If you look at the stats they get results , individual games are subjective. They have a decent system and are used to playing it with the players they have. I'm not sure what score or result you predicted but I couldn't see us winning and tbh thought we would be more soundly beat , especially with Trez getting sent off and the awful performance from the officials.

To summarize, we have nothing to worry about unless we have the same officials every week and we don't improve ( which we have in the games so far ) 

People are underestimating West Ham as well, already chalking it up as a win, which is imo wrong. I think based on the games I've seen that we have a decent chance against Burnley, but at this stage I think 4 points from the next three games would be OK. 

Despite the disappointment, it is possible to take positives from the first 4 games.

The bottom half of the table has the names I would have expected us to be in a dog fight with, perhaps the exception is Wolves and Palace, however Palace have had a phenomenal run if you look back to the tail end of last season. And we are only a single point away from mid table. 

We haven’t been embarrassed, the performances other than a flat Palace game (where we actually drew with 10 men) have been good. Further, we have scored goals in each game, kept a clean sheet, and there has only been a goal difference other than Spurs where we can be forgiven owing to the newness of everything.

However, for the first time, there appears to be no patsies, everyone looks capable of a result, there is not one fixture that you think it’s a banker or we have a good chance.

We have a big, and capable squad which is a very useful thing and will be worth points later. We have a solid defensive unit which again is essential, I just want us to find our groove and learn how this team scores goals. Two more forwards is a must in January.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

I've a feeling that this league will be tight this season, where even 12th to 20th its going to be a battle for a survival and many could even be dropped into relegation.

I also think that the top of the league no one will run away with it.

I already seen the same crazy matches happening of teams who should be beating other teams losing, yet they to end up losing to a team who doesn't look like they will be winning.

Add the poor refereeing and Var to all this and a crazy out of balance season we could end up with I think.