Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

If Friend wasn't a bent word removed we'd be sitting pretty in 13th at the moment. Let's keep calm, it's early days and most of us were expecting a slow start with all the changes we've had. Plenty of time to pull it round. 

If we go down we go down. The championship is more fun than this bollocks league anyway. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That Sheff Utd squad is so average. They use freakin Enda Stevens.

Can't believe how well they are doing.

Have another look after 20 games ? 

If they are still the same, I’ll agree. 4 games tells us nothing, never has.

10 hours ago, useless said:

The next four are against West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Burnley (h), and Norwich (a), really need to improve on the three points we've got from the last four games, written down and reading it back doesn't look like a bad set of fixtures, but then neither did Spurs, Bournemouth, Everton and Palace. If we can get ten points from those then things will be looking an whole lot better.

You are talking of us being on 13 Points from 8 games !?

Thats Top 8 Form .

No wonder some are panicking or thinking we aren’t doing well enough if that’s considered remotely feasible or realistic.

A Win and a Draw would be a  good outcome from 4 games,  2 Wins would be terrific.

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Getting outplayed by Palace won't do their confidence any good. West Ham game will be a huge mental test testing their mentality.

Mercifully I don’t think players react to the opposition playing better than them anywhere near the way fans do. 

But the bit that puzzles me is the “ by Palace” part.

I may be wrong but it reads like, “ it’s only Palace”.

An established PremierLeague team, with a very good record in 2019, at Home.

Whats wrong with being outplayed by a decent, and better, team ?

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Why would we need 10 points from our next 4 games? Thats top 6 form. Are you saying you'll be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 6?

4 points a month is the target to beat relegation. We have taken 3 this month, we have one to make up.

If we can take 5 points in the next 4 games we are on track, any more than that is a bonus.

Sanity, thank God.

• Like 1

Not really concerned about our performances but I am about the points we've dropped due to poor officiating. 

Analysing our 3 defeats so far: against Spurs we were denied a pen at 1-0, then should've been a foul on Grealish in the build up to their first goal. Potentially lost 1, maybe even all 3 points. Bournemouth should've played the second half with 10 men. Would have drastically improved our chances of getting something out of the game. And then yesterday. Cheated out of a point. There's no other way to describe it.

3-5pts lost which will probably be crucial come the season's end. Add into that the fact that Palace and Bournemouth will probably be fighting it out at the bottom, that's extra points gained over us by rivals.

Although we're back at the big table and have been seemingly welcomed as a big club with plenty of tradition, we're a long way down the pecking order in terms of getting favourable decisions. For the sake of our survival let's hope it doesn't continue throughout the season.

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Why would we need 10 points from our next 4 games? Thats top 6 form. Are you saying you'll be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 6?

No, that's not at all what I'm saying, and I'm not sure how you've read it that way either. 

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

The championship was more fun

We’ve been in a much worse runs than this actually. 

Particularly mid of last season and most of our first season.

Less than a year ago, we’ve been thrashed by Wigan 3-0.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blunther said:

If Friend wasn't a bent word removed we'd be sitting pretty in 13th at the moment. Let's keep calm, it's early days and most of us were expecting a slow start with all the changes we've had. Plenty of time to pull it round. 

If we go down we go down. The championship is more fun than this bollocks league anyway. 

Not just Friend though! 

We should have had a penalty against Spurs when leading 1-0, Billing should have been sent off after making a further 2 or 3 fouls after getting a yellow vs Bournemouth and we were denied a perfectly legit goal yesterday. 

Also, how can Friend justify giving Trezeguet 2 yellows for 2 tackles. In that case, Billing should have had 2 red cards! 

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If the goal had stood yesterday and we got a point  would there be the same level of panic?

I'm not worried.

Nope! The draw would have been a heroic fight back with 10 men and 4 points from 4 games is a good start considering where we've come from. Obviously if we find ourselves repeatedly cursing our luck 19 games in then we're probably both unlucky and rubbish....

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That Sheff Utd squad is so average. They use freakin Enda Stevens.

Can't believe how well they are doing.

As they showed last season Sheffield United fight for every ball, are tough to break down (last 10 minutes at the VP game an honorable expection!) and also have more quality on the ball than people give them credit for.

I think they've been undestimated so far in premier league. Think they'll stay up and have more chance than Norwich who will keep on leaking 2-3 goals a game on regular basis imo especially with their CBs getting injured again.

We'll put a run together at some stage this season and be ok. Dean is a pretty streaky manager in that regard. This season is reminding me of Lambert's first in charge, although I think we're actually showing much more promise than he was at this stage. It wasn't until around November time that we put any sort of run of results together IIRC. The Sunderland game that season was a big turning point when Westwood came in and seemed to settle us. I think Nakamba coming in has to be the next key change. Maybe Jack moves into the advanced wide position while Trezeguet is gone.

• Like 1

Newcastle won at Tottenham, Palace at Old Trafford, and yesterday Sheffield United came from two goals down to draw at Chelsea. Eight points from the next four would be good also, but we can't just keep writing off every game, otherwise we'll sleepwalk back into the championship. At some point we're going to have get points from the odd game here and there that we're not expected to, and go on the odd run of good form.

If Everton win 2-0 or 3-1, that will mean Wolves will be on the same points as us and have the same goal difference, meaning it then goes to who has scored the most goals out us and them, as it stands they've scored 2 and we've scored 4, so we'd leapfrog them out of the relegation zone, if they were to lose by just one goal, or lose but still manage to score more than two goals in the process then they'll stay above us. To be fair to Wolves they're a good team that could easily win today or get a draw, so hoping for them to lose by two goals is asking for a lot.