Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

People keep mentioning that Wolves results doesn’t matter.

Yes it does, as long as that they are below us their fans can’t take a piss out of us so thats alone a good thing.

The other thing their squad is thin, with doing good in Europe they could really struggle.

Usually there is one team that get sucked to the relegation battle later in the season. Usually it’s unpredictable now, but thats what usually happen. Its good to have as much teams as we can down there, atleast it give some confidence to us if nothing else.

Watford have begin seasons brilliant in the last couple of seasons. Then declined. Its interesting to see how will they react now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, useless said:

Three points can be the difference between staying up going down, even one point, it doesn't matter whether said points are won this month or on the last day of the season.

Are goal difference still applicate or as they said that it would be teams against each other results is the indicator?

There will be so many twists and turns this season. Anyone from 10th down will be looking over their shoulder most the season. 

The unpredictability of Spurs, Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea means I can see them dropping more points than usual, as we’ve started to see already. 

We've been in every game so far, without playing particularly well. A bit more luck and we would be sat on 5 or even 7 points. Keep the faith and let’s make sure VP is rocking again on the 16th. 

• Like 1

If two teams have the same points then goal difference is used to determind who finishes higher in the table, if that is also the same then it goes to who has scored the most amount of goals, if that too is the same then the two teams share the same position whilst the season is still in play. If points, goal difference, and goals scored are still the same at the end of the season between two teams and something is at stake like relegation, qualification for Europe or the title, then a play-off match is played between the two sides. I'm surprised that as far as I'm aware that's never happened in the Premier league, not sure how they'd sort things out if three teams all finished with identical points, goal difference and goals scored.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Way too early to start panicking.

To put things in perspective we're 2 pts off man utd and Chelsea.

Who are both having terrible starts to the season.

Not panicking, we are doing about as expected. There are some worrying signs thou and I'm certain we'll have to spend big again in January to stay up.

We don't have enough goals in the team as it stands now imo.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Who are both having terrible starts to the season.

Not panicking, we are doing about as expected. There are some worrying signs thou and I'm certain we'll have to spend big again in January to stay up.

We don't have enough goals in the team as it stands now imo.

I agree with that. We're currently on 4 goals which isn't the worst in the league as of right now (CP have only 3 and Watford 2), but this could be the difference between relegation and staying up. I hope that if Wesley isn't banging them in for fun by January that we're looking to strengthen our offensive options.

Appears Norwich are already picking up injuries to key players, which may affect upcoming games/results.   If Pukki gets a lengthy injury they’d be in real trouble.  

Don’t see them or Sheffield having much over us.  Keep Newcastle, Watford, Wolves, Brighton and one or two others around us, then we have as good a chance of staying up as any of them.  

Would love another Everton result next week against West Ham to settle the nerves a little.  

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I agree with that. We're currently on 4 goals which isn't the worst in the league as of right now (CP have only 3 and Watford 2), but this could be the difference between relegation and staying up. I hope that if Wesley isn't banging them in for fun by January that we're looking to strengthen our offensive options.

this needs to happen irrespective of how many he scores IMO

Realistically I would have hoped for at least 5 points after our first four games (Expected loss at Spurs, a win against Bournemouth and a point in the others), so we're 2 points off what I thought we would be, hardly catastrophic. 

Think we need to be aiming for 8-10 points in the next 5 and we will be doing just fine, won't be easy, but we never thought this league would be anything else. The crowd at VP as such a huge part to play. 

My main worry is if we go several games not picking up any points and how it will affect our confidence.

8 hours ago, useless said:

If two teams have the same points then goal difference is used to determind who finishes higher in the table, if that is also the same then it goes to who has scored the most amount of goals, if that too is the same then the two teams share the same position whilst the season is still in play. If points, goal difference, and goals scored are still the same at the end of the season between two teams and something is at stake like relegation, qualification for Europe or the title, then a play-off match is played between the two sides. I'm surprised that as far as I'm aware that's never happened in the Premier league, not sure how they'd sort things out if three teams all finished with identical points, goal difference and goals scored.

There is an extra step this year too, how the teams got on against each other. This only comes into play if points, goal difference & goals scored are level. If both games happened to be a draw then away goals in the head to head matches are also taken into consideration so if the teams drew 0-0 & 1-1 the team who drew 1-1 away from home would be granted the higher position. If everything is still level after all of this a play-off would be required. You are correct that a play-off has never even happened once in the premier league even with just the points/goal dif/goals scored requirements so is even more unlikely to happen now

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Way too early to start panicking.

To put things in perspective we're 2 pts off man utd and Chelsea.

And the glass half empty perspective is we're 2 points off the bottom of the league. I would imagine we are far more likely to finish bottom than level/above man utd & chelsea

For me the problem is our wingers. They are our game changers and at the moment they are not consistently good enough. But they are all very new to this league and in Trez’s case new to the country so it could take time for them to settle. Hopefully all 3 of them will improve at the season progresses. 

Im sure it’s an area that’s been identified for January though. 

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For me the problem is our wingers. They are our game changers and at the moment they are not consistently good enough. But they are all very new to this league and in Trez’s case new to the country so it could take time for them to settle. Hopefully all 3 of them will improve at the season progresses. 

Im sure it’s an area that’s been identified for January though. 

Wingers and the lack of support from the left side full back position.

We (almost) only overlap on the right side making us too easy to close down, just focus on that side and we are toothless.

It's a very predictable weakness.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 14:05, villan-scott said:

There will be so many twists and turns this season. Anyone from 10th down will be looking over their shoulder most the season. 

The unpredictability of Spurs, Arsenal, Utd and Chelsea means I can see them dropping more points than usual, as we’ve started to see already. 

We've been in every game so far, without playing particularly well. A bit more luck and we would be sat on 5 or even 7 points. Keep the faith and let’s make sure VP is rocking again on the 16th. 

Lots of twists and turns yet!

Edited by zab6359
Incorrect info.

44 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Lots of twists and turns yet, we should be sat in 7th in the table on 6 points but for a shocking decision. We won't be the only team that suffers bad luck or a bit of fortune along the way.

4 points , we would have only got a draw