Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was a pure smash and grab! 

It really does feel like people seem to just see what they want to see so they can have a good moan.

I hope they keep the same energy after our smash and grab job at the Emirates next week ;) 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was a pure smash and grab! 

It really does feel like people seem to just see what they want to see so they can have a good moan.

It was a very well worked smash and grab though, 6 or 7 one touch passes from the back to break the city press and counter attack quite a few times. Not easy.

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Spurs? Even Everton we were sitting back

There's a difference between sitting on a 1-0 lead with the view to protect it, and being pushed back by a superior team on the front-foot. I've never seen the former from a Dean Smith side, but we were penned in by Spurs in the last 30 minutes. Compare our performance with Newcastle's against Spurs. After our goal, it legitimately could have been 2 or 3 but for better finishing. We gave it a right go. Newcastle on the other hand didn't bother venturing forward after their goal and it was backs to the wall for the remainder of the game.

Also, I don't remember us sitting back on a 1-0 lead against Everton either. We let them have the ball, sure...but we were doing that at 0-0 too and we even pushed on and got a second goal.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I mean, Norwich were defending on the edge of their box for practically the last 40 minutes. I've never seen us happy to sit on 1-0 leads under Smith.

When we went 1-0 against Spurs, we didn't do anything much other than defend, same with the Everton game, after we went one nil up, Everton hammered us with wave after wave of attack. I'm sure that isn't the plan but I don't think we've been amazing after taking the lead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supermon said:

When we went 1-0 against Spurs, we didn't do anything much other than defend, same with the Everton game, after we went one nil up, Everton hammered us with wave after wave of attack. I'm sure that isn't the plan but I don't think we've been amazing after taking the lead.

I mean, that's just not how it happened at all. After we scored against Spurs, Trezeguet had 2 great opportunities to score. We weren't sitting back at all.

Against Everton after we scored, we were all over them in the first half...the goal literally sparked us to life. We were only really subjected to waves of Everton attacks in the last 15-20 minutes, which you'd expect.

We could have been better in both games, but I wouldn't say we were happy to sit on a 1-0 lead in either.

• Like 1

Just now, Jareth said:

I'm clearly half glass full, but we needed something from today and we got it. Marvellarse was making his debut and I can't help but think we need games and will improve. Created a lot too. 

McGinn made his debut again? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Four points from Tottenham (a), Bournemouth (h), Everton (h), Palace (a), and a ten men West Ham (h), is a very poor return. Not really sure how we're going to survive at this rate, it's not looking good.

Very poor? With a complete squad overhaul and having played 3 top half sides, I feel OK about having 4 points. Not good, not terrible. 

• Like 3

The positives are that we appear able to play a bit, its not like we are playing hit and hope and getting pumelled every week

The big issues are decision making (so many unforced errors) and goals

Best chance of the game tonight was ours, a free header 6 yards out and its not even on target

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

On a positive note. We are meeting our target. Until we are miles away from 17th we just need to accept that this is what the season will be.

Yup. We're 17th, and I'd take that at the end of the season. 

The worrying thing is that I think all the teams below us other than maybe Newcastle have another gear in them and will get into it pretty soon. I'm not sure about us and our lack of options upfront.

• Like 3

Based on what I've seen so far I feel we're the most likely team to go down. I'm hopeful we will improve and January will be important but we have zero cutting edge. It's so frustrating as otherwise we're solid. 

It's not even an issue tactically our front line is just nowhere near good enough quality wise right now.