Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

I still have a feeling Newcastle will go down. 

They are easily the worst team I’ve seen this season and Bruce has all but admitted they aren’t even trying to win games.

6 points seems like a lot, but another couple of weeks and they’ll be right in it with us and the others. 

We’ll lose the final, lose to Leicester, beat Chelsea and go above Newcastle on GD with a win there on the 21st. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Only positive is at least means the points total will be a bit lower.

TBH can see us, Norwich and Bournemouth being the bottom 3 now. Bournemouth have a similar run in to us.

West Ham I think will go

Looking at our run in, I can't imagine us getting the points we need. It's disappointing, because at times this seasosn we've acquitted ourselves well, but we concede too many goals, and can't get any points against top-half teams, so that's a terrible combination.

On a selfish level, I'll be back going to games and seeing us win sometimes in the Championship, so I honestly don't mind that much.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I sort of agree with that Hanoi.

Actually think provided we don't get done for FFP we'd be more comfortable in championship than our last spell and actually have a really good go at top 2 rather than just relying on play offs.

The big frustration though is we have the massive momentum after the play off win, good will and huge backing from the fans and we have quite simply blown it. Going to have to waste another 2-3 years now before we have another go at establishing ourselves as a top half prem club again.

We make it look near impossible while likes of Burnley, Wolves and Sheffield United all do it after being promoted in last four years. There is always an excuse.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I sort of agree with that Hanoi.

Actually think provided we don't get done for FFP we'd be more comfortable in championship than our last spell and actually have a really good go at top 2 rather than just relying on play offs.

The big frustration though is we have the massive momentum after the play off win, good will and huge backing from the fans and we have quite simply blown it. Going to have to waste another 2-3 years now before we have another go at establishing ourselves as a top half prem club again.

We make it look near impossible while likes of Burnley, Wolves and Sheffield United all do it after being promoted in last four years. There is always an excuse.

Agree on all points. By the time we've sold the players who will leave, we'll have a decent pot of money. It's very very important that we don't splash it all and end up in FFP trouble again, but use our size to get quality loan players of the level that Tuanzebe and Abraham were at, as well as a couple of smart signings that are 'too good for the division', and then the remaining players from this season should be competitive.

I have to agree that it's a huge frustration after the playoff final win, but the logical conclusion is that a] there was an awful lot left to do, and really very little to build on, and b] we purchased very badly in the summer. Not a single one of the summer signings has been *better* than expected, and if you bring in that many players you'd hope that one or two would be a surprise, even if not quite on the McGinn scale. I think Suso should lose his job to be honest.

• Like 1

I can't see where the next point is coming from

Today felt like the day it became apparent we aren't good enough by a country mile. 

• Like 1

Watford's next two games are United away and Liverpool at home, and West Ham play Liverpool away and then Southampton at home. Obviously West Ham at home to Southampton might be the one that sees them move above us, but Southampton are a pretty good away team. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that after next weekend we could still find ourselves outside the relegation zone, and with a game in hand... But then again we could easily find ourselves in the bottom three this time tomorrow, as wouldn't be the greatest surprise if Watford got a result against Man Utd.

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Watford's next two games are United away and Liverpool at home, and West Ham play Liverpool away and then Southampton at home. Obviously West Ham at home to Southampton might be the one that sees them move above us, but Southampton are a pretty good away team. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that after next weekend we could still find ourselves outside the relegation zone, and with a game in hand... But then again we could easily find ourselves in the bottom three this time tomorrow, as wouldn't be the greatest surprise if Watford got a result against Man Utd.

The problem will be later on in the season when Watford and West Ham play each other, think we're away to Everton that weekend so the luck of teams below us not winning isn't going to hold forever.

Newcastle away and all our home games are where we can get points. As flat as I am after that ‘performance’ we do usually turn up at Villa Park and we still have 6 home games left. McGinn and Davis to return will help a lot.

• Like 1