Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just did a predictor thingy. God, it’s tight. We need to pick up 3 points from Arsenal, United and Chelsea combined at home I think. Beat one of them or just get 3 draws, that will really help. 

9487ACBC-BBF5-445A-8BA6-FDA213F4C9D1.jpeg

Did you not bother putting the Norwich results in? 

Cos I think it is highly unlikely with home games against Southampton, Everton, Brighton, West Ham and Burnley that they will yield just a single point more!

I'll take the Villa position though all day long! 🤞

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Can't see where four are going to come from and I feel generous giving us an away win this weekend!

I fancy us to win at Newcastle (don't really fancy us to win at Southampton). Got to be honest and I'd be surprised if we won more than once away in the run in (obviously important we do actually get three points on the road in one game otherwise task becomes very difficult).

If we can then 10 more points from the home games looks reasonably achievable. We will still have to beat at least one decent team at home though and that's if we get 6 points off Palace and Sheffield united which I doubt considering both are pretty good away from home.

Must admit I'm less confident than I was this time last week. We really blew it v Spurs. Took the lead, clawed our way back to 2-2 yet still couldn't even claim a point. The games v Chelsea, Arsenal and Man. United are all going to be very similar so we need to show far more resilience when we get in front.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zab6359 said:

As patchy as they are can't see us beating manure, and we are dog shit on the road. Maybe a win against Southampton, then a win at home to CP. Apart from that really struggling to see where any other wins are going to come from. 

I know our record is dogs**t up there but I'm pretty confident about Newcastle.

Can only go on the VP game but that was the most comfortable 90 minutes of the season. Newcastle have pace but they don't really bother pressing in central midfield which is good as we struggle against manic press team e.g. Southampton at VP.

Sort of game I expect Hourihane to start in and do well again. I'm of the mindset we don't win at Newcastle we won't stay up. They could be pretty much safe aswell if we don't play the fixture until April.

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Hopefully. I don't think I was unfair on other teams either. Nor was I overly nice to Villa with the fixtures we have left. 
12 points should be the absolute minimum we aim for:

Saints a - 3
Sheff Utd h - 1
Leicester a - 0
Chelsea h - 1
Newcastle a - 3
Wolves h - 0
Liverpool a - 0
Utd h - 0
Palace h - 3
Everton a - 0
Arsenal h - 0
West Ham a - 1 

We could easily take points from United, Arsenal and Wolves from that list above. Not necessarily wins, but we need to start drawing the more difficult games if we're to limp over the line. 

Yeah your table looks more realistic than some of the efforts OBE comes up with. :lol:

I would say if 34 points is what 18th will get I'm very confident of staying up. I can certainly see us getting 9 more points and in any case West Ham have got lots of really tough away games left so think their GD will take a big hit in the run in. Not sure on how bad Brighton's GD is but ultimately they're not a team who will rake up that many big wins due to their lack of goals.

Personally still aiming for 38 points just to be on the safe side.

One little thing I would say. I know Norwich are bottom but in many games they've been more than decent but just like us they haven't got the defensive structure to grind out clean  sheets. I do feel with pressure off they'll pick up a win or two in the run in and hopefully that will be against likes of West Ham and Brighton who they play at home so I'd give them more than one point as they're not that bad. Think they'll finish on 27-28 points.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think we will beat Southampton and Newcastle away. Would take a point from both. Don’t write off points against Man U and Liverpool. Especially as the latter will have won the league and potentially have 2 champions league quarter final games either side of playing us.  

Also I think we can beat anyone at home on our day. 

Nah need at least one away win to stay up otherwise puts too much pressure on home games and trying to beat a couple of teams we haven't won at home in 20 odd years....(that really is ridiculous when you think we've had top 6 standard teams in many of those seasons).

Hopefully one team we play away will be as bad as Burnley were on NYD and we'll profit from that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Nah need at least one away win to stay up otherwise puts too much pressure on home games and trying to beat a couple of teams we haven't won at home in 20 odd years....(that really is ridiculous when you think we've had top 6 standard teams in many of those seasons).

Hopefully one team we play away will be as bad as Burnley were on NYD and we'll profit from that.

Actually our away run is much easier. Southampton, Newcastle, Leicester (we’ve already drawn there), West Ham (ofcourse I don’t want to count that as we’d have no nerves by then). Everton who are also beatable despite their current form.

I’m not saying that we’ll win all, but thats a much easier run than the home ones, and I’d target 5-7 points from our 6 games away. 6-8 from our 6 home games.

Since the Watford debacle our away form has actually improved a fair bit:

Burnley 1-2 Villa (good performance)

Leicester 1-1 Villa (good defensive performance until Luiz error)

Brighton 1-1 Villa (came from behind)

Bournemouth 2-1 Villa (crap first half but could have easily taken something)

think we’ll get a performance tomorrow, Bit between the teeth & all that. It will be great going into the final having that cushion after Watford and West Ham lose too. Im staying positive which will make defeat all the more crushing should it happen but for some reason im really confident now.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

All of our April games have been selected for TV. They might as well give us the 3 points for the night match at VP against Palace now.

Absolutely. We need to hope Man U reach the FA Cup semis as then that will be another night game too. Actually forget that, it’s Man U, so 3 points whenever. Also Sheffield United will be a night game as well, so those 3 games will help keep us up no problem.

Sky have done their best to keep us up, quite a few night games at VP  this season where/when we are basically unbeatable.

Edited by Elton
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

All of our April games have been selected for TV. They might as well give us the 3 points for the night match at VP against Palace now.

Why? It's a Monday night game just like Newcastle was.

Indeed if there's one time of the day where we seem to get excellent performances it's a night game (Everton, Newcastle, Watford, Leicester) so the more of them at VP in the run in the better I suggest.

Also similar time in the season to when we beat Sunderland 6-1 in April 2013 although hopefully not a Benteke hat trick this time!

Edit: Sorry completely misread your post as giving the three points to Palace!

Edited by VillaChris
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Why? It's a Monday night game just like Newcastle was.

Indeed if there's one time of the day where we seem to get excellent performances it's a night game (Everton, Newcastle, Watford, Leicester) so the more of them at VP in the run in the better I suggest.

Also similar time in the season to when we beat Sunderland 6-1 in April 2013 although hopefully not a Benteke hat trick this time!

Edit: Sorry completely misread your post as giving the three points to Palace!

Someone came up with our recent night game stats a short while ago and they were quite phenomenal!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

We stayed up in 17th, 36 points on goal difference.

Newcastle, bournemouth n norwich to go down.

Just five more points for Newcastle? 

They've got us, Palace, Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford and Brighton still to come,

Of their 12 remaining games, they have to play six of the bottom seven clubs. 

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just five more points for Newcastle? 

They've got us, Palace, Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford and Brighton still to come,

Of their 12 remaining games, they have to play six of the bottom seven clubs. 

In many ways I think they are the games they will struggle in.  I can't get my head around them possibly finishing above us considering how much better we were than them earlier this season.  I know it doesn't always work that way but I think we will finish above them and Brighton at least.  We need to start with points today mind you.