Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

If the Championship restart gets delayed because the Premier League isn't finished yet, that's going to put a massive pressure on the Championship to get the whole season and the playoffs in before Euro 2021. 

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If the Championship restart gets delayed because the Premier League isn't finished yet, that's going to put a massive pressure on the Championship to get the whole season and the playoffs in before Euro 2021. 

It seems clear to me that one or both cups will have to be cancelled to clear up the calendar.

56 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Very true. Until they get a vaccine can see nearly all next season behind closed doors

I thought this and then I actually thought what happens if they can’t find a vaccine? What happens then? A vaccine isn’t a given.

Looks to me like the EFL is trying to put pressure on the PL to restart, by doing so first themselves to show it can be done. They really want those three promotion places don't they? It seems they are as prepared as the PL are to get playing again, at whatever the cost. I can see cash motivates the PL, but why is the EFL so gung ho about it?.

9 minutes ago, John said:

Looks to me like the EFL is trying to put pressure on the PL to restart, by doing so first themselves to show it can be done. They really want those three promotion places don't they? It seems they are as prepared as the PL are to get playing again, at whatever the cost. I can see cash motivates the PL, but why is the EFL so gung ho about it?.

They miss us.  Like that ex, that keeps phoning when she’s drunk.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, John said:

But its still not consistent as at the least L2 looks like they can't play 

EFL want 3 clubs to go up from Championship but at same time the noises come out are they want to make teams you come down take even bigger hits ( removal of parachute payments / wage cap leaving clubs who come down limited to 10k a week in wages for new players ), which I could understand if the teams going down walked the league the next season but its really not that simple 

• Like 1

So EFL clubs can’t start training until the 25th May At the earliest, so it seems at least three weeks on fitness training before actual games but then they say

The EFL has said before it would need 56 days to complete all of the remaining fixtures (326) across all leagues, excluding play-offs.”

then playoffs which means beginning of August finish.  When does next season start? is there a preseason? Or do players play one and a quarter seasons together ie end of this flows into next season? Is that too much for players re fatigue? What about transfer windows? Especially for promoted or relegated teams? What if the May 25th is delayed a week or two?

Wow, just seems impossible even if everything goes perfectly.

Edited by nick76

If they're saying 56 days to complete fixtures then we're looking at the earliest possible finish being around 10th August - playoff final on around the 15th August?

Then a week turnaround and start on 22nd August or a two week turnaround and start on 29th August. If they're not starting until then, it gives them around 36 weeks for a 46 game season, and for the cups and playoffs. Hectic.

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Leaves whoever wins the play off final a cool 9 days to rebuild their squad for a PL season.

The Premier league will want to get started on the 15th August. The EFL will have to get their skates on.

We should all play on the same day/ weekend to keep the number of games played the same, our game against Sheffield first. 

Even if we restart the season the chances of a mass outbreak amongst the players must be very high, once this happens, with the schedule being so compacted it will stop the games been played, at this point it will be relegation on ppg.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

We should all play on the same day/ weekend to keep the number of games played the same, our game against Sheffield first. 

Even if we restart the season the chances of a mass outbreak amongst the players must be very high, once this happens, with the schedule being so compacted it will stop the games been played, at this point it will be relegation on ppg.

Agree with this. The 1st games to be played must involve those clubs with a game in hand. 

At least it looks like they've found a reliable antibody test.  If they stop the season now, within a couple of months they might be able to test the players and see how many are likely to have immunity and make it a lot easier to make decisions.

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If they're saying 56 days to complete fixtures then we're looking at the earliest possible finish being around 10th August - playoff final on around the 15th August?

Then a week turnaround and start on 22nd August or a two week turnaround and start on 29th August. If they're not starting until then, it gives them around 36 weeks for a 46 game season, and for the cups and playoffs. Hectic.

Maybe just scrap the cups and Europe next season

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Maybe just scrap the cups and Europe next season

People keep suggesting this but the League cup money goes to the EFL (* i think), The FA cup money to the FA, and the European money to UEFA. They aren't going to accept cancelling their competitions and the resulting loss. With the passing of time I think the only logical solution would be to cancel the leagues this season and just start again with pre-season in mid July. However the financial impact would be enormous and would show just how unprepared football was for any changes to the norm. 

Edited by villa89
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

My lad is at a EFL academy and we had a letter off them this week stating they didnt expect the EFL next season to start until end August/Start September so it would be 1 hectic turn around

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, midian said:

My lad is at a EFL academy and we had a letter off them this week stating they didnt expect the EFL next season to start until end August/Start September so it would be 1 hectic turn around

For any academies it will be the same, they'll just start next season as normal, same for non-league. It's the money earning leagues that are the issue and that will be the focus. 

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

For any academies it will be the same, they'll just start next season as normal, same for non-league. It's the money earning leagues that are the issue and that will be the focus. 

No this is for the 1st team aswell they expect them to start then and the academies after

Edited by midian

Witsel and Can are out of Dortmund first game as both picked up muscle strains and had to leave the team quarantine bubble for treatment. 

Even if declared fit they are not allowed to play

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Witsel and Can are out of Dortmund first game as both picked up muscle strains and had to leave the team quarantine bubble for treatment. 

Even if declared fit they are not allowed to play

Which begs the question, how many players are going to pick up these little niggly muscle strains because they haven't been playing football properly?

And rushing the games through will only put more strain on these players to get injuries. Absolutely moronic to try and get playing again at the moment. These money grabbing bastards need to be hung, drawn and quartered.