Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

On 12/05/2020 at 15:16, villa4europe said:

Danny Rose was Danny Rose, another interview where you wonder how much he actually hates football

He keeps it real. Football at the end of the day is just a game. He's not risking his life or his dignity for any longer than he has to. Respect him for being up front about it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldnt be surprised if the Bundesliga teams pick up a load of muscle injuries over the weekend. I would also expect lots of late goals from players lacking in fitness

Championship teams presumably have more games than the PL to fit in, if they are trying to finish by a certain date.

Is there an end date for the season has that been clarified yet or are they still pulling ideas out of their proverbial?

Will be the longest most teams have gone without playing in any kind of a match before playing competive football, almost like starting a new season but without the pre-season friendlies to prepare.

• Like 2

Just read Uefa/Fifa at loggerheads, Fifa basically want to play all the international matches cancelled so far and early next season in November-early december period. They really should just cancel the nations league qualifiers given that's a new competition and dosen't really lead to qualification bar a few play off spots.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Will be the longest most teams have gone without playing in any kind of a match before playing competive football, almost like starting a new season but without the pre-season friendlies to prepare.

Basically imagine the fitness of Drinkwater thats where every one will be when this starts

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

I think the club also need to sort out compensating season ticket holders now as well. There has been no mention , many other clubs have already sorted it

Yeah I seen on twitter today a fair few asking and the reply was TBC, I’d rather have whatever the value of the remaining games off next seasons 

14 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

I’d rather have whatever the value of the remaining games off next seasons 

I think this might be the delay - it's difficult to discount tickets for a season where it's not clear how many games a season ticket holder will be able to attend. If we're behind closed doors until January then you get to a point where season ticket holders might only get to nine games, six of which they've paid for this season. If that's the case, at what point do you put season tickets on sale, how do you price them and what do they entitle you to?

I think the majority of clubs so far have given refunds on away tickets and some have given refunds based on the remaining games. 

26 minutes ago, useless said:

Lack of fitness is behind the proposal that the match is started with no players - ‘The officials will occupy pitch positions to ensure that no player from any side shall enter the field of play to gain advantage until 10 minutes remain of each half.’

It could ensure that our team doesn’t run out of steam, at least until the last 5 to 9 minutes.

53 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Championship teams presumably have more games than the PL to fit in, if they are trying to finish by a certain date.

Is there an end date for the season has that been clarified yet or are they still pulling ideas out of their proverbial?

Same number of games i think - if they want to finish next season on time, they'll want start around the weekend of 1st August. So if they're playing on the 13th June and they want no football in the week leading up to the new season, they'll have 41 days to get nine games per club in. It's still possible.

It does throw up a problem I hadn't considered - a relegated team would start fixtures earlier than a team that stays up - that means that there's a chance we could play a Premier league game on Wednesday 29th July followed by a Championship game on Saturday 1st August. 

There's a cheery thought.

• Sad 1

I have thought this the whole time but it will never happen because the 💰 rules everything.

The 20/21 season should be scrapped now. Everyone should calm the f#$k down and spend the rest of this year getting the important stuff, like people's health!!!!, sorted. 

Then when it is actually safe to do so, say early next year, finish the current season and European competitions.

Before anyone starts replying, I'm not dumb this will never ever happen for a myriad of reasons. Contracts expiring in June 30th etc.

This is however the most sensible and sensitive approach and all this talk if anything else makes me sick.

There is going to be at least one death associated with the return of the Premier league. 

Also any increase in cases from a return will put massive dent in the hopes of 20/21 season finishing on time.

I feel like the PL is full of demented people who can't actually think straight unless their wallets are getting fatter by the second....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think this might be the delay - it's difficult to discount tickets for a season where it's not clear how many games a season ticket holder will be able to attend. If we're behind closed doors until January then you get to a point where season ticket holders might only get to nine games, six of which they've paid for this season. If that's the case, at what point do you put season tickets on sale, how do you price them and what do they entitle you to?

I think the majority of clubs so far have given refunds on away tickets and some have given refunds based on the remaining games. 

Very true. Until they get a vaccine can see nearly all next season behind closed doors

4 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Very true. Until they get a vaccine can see nearly all next season behind closed doors

That's a far worse prospect to me than just finishing off this current season in whatever form over the next few months.

Still what can we do?