• Adomah (Green 75)
    • Kodjia (El Ghazi 101)
    • Davis (Elmohamady 114)
    • Jedinak (Tuanzebe 120)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

What a bizarre tie.

Glad we progressed. We played the football, but did it so badly for all but 20 minutes of a tie lasting 210 minutes, that one could argue we didn't deserve to go through. But their "we defended stoutly so deserve to win" is total bolox too.

We had some fortune with a couple of decisions, but they could had had 2 players sent off in both ties too.

A lot of poor performances in both games. But we found a way to win.

Unsure on how to assess Smith's performance. For penalties, he got it spot on. We had (presumably) Kodija and McGinn to take our 6th and 7th (and Taylor to take the 11th). They had 4 defenders in their first 5 - so he got that right. And clearly worked hard to make sure Steer was prepared.

However, the way the team played worried me. Tactics were weird last night - short corners? Do we not have a player who can cross accurately, even if they have big guys too? No cutting edge or clear chances (other than Albert's, which can from a scramble).

And if they froze in this tie - how will they react to playing at Wembley?

Obviously delighted, but bloody hell!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Tactics were weird last night - short corners? Do we not have a player who can cross accurately, even if they have big guys too? 

It was because the baggies main strength is there physicality so why would we play to their strengths?

We tried direct when they beat us in the league and they didn't break sweat. 

Agreed the ref was poor, but over the two games, both refs were poor to both sides. End of the day, we are though to the final and that's all that counts. Plus points for me were again we looked tough to break down at the back. Showed a lot of fight and character, a real winning mentality (despite not actually winning the game) and passed the ball ok despite no players really being on top form.  Bad points, we lacked the cutting edge in the final 40 mins to break them down when we had 90% of the ball and all our attacking players on the pitch. Although, had Adomah made better contact with that chance, or Tammy had stuck a leg out to the cross from McGinn, wit would be a different story. So not that bad.  More so on the bad side were the silly mistakes as the back. not really seen that for a while. Whelen's pass in the first leg aside, Tuanzebe, Mings and Steer were weirdly giving it away a lot last night in low pressure situations. Hope they sort that out for wembley. Finally, Tammy obviously has a shoulder problem, hopefully that can clear up in time too. The rest of them just need a good rest, decent recovery and then we go again in 12 days against whoever it is. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Well done Villa.

When some Norwich City mates came up for a game a few weeks ago I said then that they would be Champions, Sheff United would be second and Leeds would lose to Villa in the final...............................going well so far. 😀

Missed the game last night but have been at a few semi finals that went to pens and know how nerve racking they are. Last one was the semi when we won the cup in 2016 and our keeper that day had a blinder and saved their first two.................went on to win against sevco so hope it is a good omen for you lads in 12 days.

'mon Villa, get back to where you should be.👍

SJM is king!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

I'd expect either Leeds or Derby to attack more than Baggies and give us a little more space to attack in

Last night the only players in our half were Steer, Mings, & Tuanzebe. It was pure backs to the wall, negative football  

IMO - when Mings started to step out of defence, we started to look a little better.

I think the Albion decided to not mark Taylor, as he was free all the time - and it was a great defensive tactic on their part and he was terrible going forward. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it's outlandish to say that Albion could and should have had another 8-10 cards over the two legs. I genuinely believe that would be a fairer reflection of the play. Johansen could have had four over the two ties, Brunt could have had two of each colour last night. It's all very well other managers and teams talking up the idea of Grealish as a diver or someone who is in the ear of referees - but the result is that he and his teammates are getting kicked all over the park at the moment and getting no protection at all. We absolutely need a stronger referee in the final.

For Albion's part, they can be aggrieved at not getting the penalty at Villa Park, they can have legitimate grumbles about El Ghazi's possible handball, but the Grealish penalty at Villa Park was absolutely nailed on, both sendings off were not just the right decision but both players could already have gone for earlier offences and the general refereeing of the two games meant that they were allowed to play an overly physically style that under other referees they simply wouldn't have gotten away with. There are a couple of decisions they can legitimately be unhappy with - but the weakness of the refereeing in both legs is what kept them in the tie.

I thought their fans were brilliant last night, got right behind the team from the first minute to the last and I thought they defended really well and really intelligently, but they deserved to go out on the lack of ambition they showed over two legs and their approach to the game - Albion have been a footballing side for most of the season, but under the pressure of the big occasion they went full Pulis - Albion fans should be more disappointed about that than they should be in anything else.

I'd expect Shan to go. I know they're in a fair bit of financial trouble and I think they'll be in the championship for a while - which is a pity. Whilst I very much hope we don't have it for a while, it's a derby game with a great atmosphere, a fierce rivalry and none of the idiocy that comes with the morons from the heath. I like the rivalry with the Albion, they're generally okay.

For us, the thing that struck me about last night was how much of a genuine emotional attachment there is between the fans and the players - particularly those players who are only here on loan - when I look at Mings, Tuanzebe and Abraham, I'm struck by how much they seem to be enjoying it here, how much they genuinely seem to be having the time of their lives, how tight the friendships seem to be within the squad, how much they've embraced the club and the pride they have in the shirt. This looks like a club that any player would want to play for - there will be players at other clubs who watched this last night and wondered why their fans don't care about them like that, why their backroom staff don't feel the same passion - being a Villa player looks like the best job in the world. 

That's going to help us next season, whichever league we're in and no matter what else happens they'll be in dressing rooms talking about their time at the Villa for the rest of their lives.

We didn't play well, we're not quite clicking, not quite fluent - but we're determined, there's a steel born of confidence and we keep finding ways to win. Any of the teams in this playoff competition are capable of beating any of the teams in this playoff competition on any given day - there's not a bad team left in it - but I'm not afraid of anyone, we'll give anyone a game and if we do find that fluency, we have the capacity to overpower an opposition. When we're good, we can be very good indeed - the best in the division - when we're bad.....well, when we're bad, we're capable of heroic nights of epic proportion like last night, and that ain't a bad combination.

It's been a season of big games, last chances and heroic characters - one more obstacle remains. 

Bring it on.

agree totally  ... plus dont' forget the handball last night from Dawson on Grealish's shot  ... should have been a pen .. any Albion fan that thinks they were hard done by , is deluding themself

Sky showed the interviews on the pitch after the game and Mings went off into the crowd and was celebrating with fans .. as he was leaving 2 Albion  stewards pushed him away , arguably a little heavy handed , Mings just had that huge grin on his face that he seems to have whenever people try to deliberately antagonise him  .. he went back to the crowd a bit later to give his shirt away  , he seems to genuinely love the place ..

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Nigel said:

It was because the baggies main strength is there physicality so why would we play to their strengths?

We tried direct when they beat us in the league and they didn't break sweat. 

I get that Plan A didn't work previously; but Plan B didn't ever look like working last night. I thought we'd mix it up a bit - just to keep them guessing.

Our playing out of defence and the short corner/free kick routines became really predictable and led to us having problems more than once; a couple of corners never made the box and they broke with our main defenders stood in their area. This changed when they went down to 10, and I hope it was because Smith changed it, but is was weird in my opinion.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hippo said:

this - it almost looks like a mental thing - tonight retaining possession, whilst important - nearly cost us tonight.  If we loose possession it doesn't necessarily mean the opposition will score.   

The problem wasn't keeping the ball, that's always better than not having it, the problem was players shitting it and taking an extra touch, not taking a risk, playing safe, maybe not fizzing it hard enough to the next player. Just moving the ball slowly and being nervous generally. The GOOD thing is that when we're shitting it under Smith we still dominated possession, with Bruce it meant giving the ball away immediately like it might give you AIDS and defending the 18 yard line... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Sorry but i just don't agree with that, you are making out like they were man handling us the entire game, it was a great blood and guts defensive performace, Brunt got sent off and rightly so, other than that i was failing to see the great injustices you are talking about. Take off your claret and blue specs.

I totally agree with this. It reminded me of us in the play offs last year, we totally ground Boro out of 2 legs but when we came up against the footballing team we rightly fell short, we would have been spanked every wee kin the Prem trying to play like that.

1- really racks me off when people say this, the implication being that they have judged things coolly and objectively whereas the other person hasn’t. You had made your perfectly valid point of view clear enough already anyway.

2- as to that point of view ...I couldn’t disagree more. I thought unit was crystal clear - as did all around me - that West Brom we’re indeed systematically taking out our guys whenever we had a run on them and, exactly as @Stragglersaid, trusting that by rotating the culprits and with a weak area they’d get through unscathed. Old3t con in the books and they did it cynically, and well.

They did indeed defend well, but that was in addition to this ploy.

Anyone read the BBC post match write up? Wow, They are reporting on a different match - I know we lost on the night but they suggest that with Brunt they would have won, and their attacking intent was clear and evidenced by the early goal?

Their 27% possession and 10 shots 3 on target (vs 73% and 24 and 6) wasn’t incurred after the 80th minute? I would like to see the stats up to their goal as I think it would be an embarrassment. 

They defended well, but we were below par for both fixtures.

This nervousness makes me concerned for Wembley

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There's no other way for this club. 

I couldn't (like always) stomach the penalties, but I think the Leeds will be a different kettle of fish (IF they beat Derby). Mostly cause Leeds won't sit back like albion did over two legs and we will get more space to do our thing. 

Green was poor. 

Thought subs came a bit late, but I will give a manager slack on that cause he probably saw penalties coming and knew what he was doing.

Hourihane was poor and Whelan should have started maybe? Hard to tell now.

Our defending at times was woeful.  If we do all of that stuff in a final we will get punished the hardest way. Steer and Zebe had some absolute bonkers stuff.

Taylor was his usual pointless self when attacking. It really looks like his brain shuts down while attacking. 

Bit disappointed in McGinn. Felt he didn't really grab the match by the neck as was needed. 

And whoever invented short corners can go **** themselves.

And my god our crossing is shite. 

Did Zebe and Mings get injured? Elmo? Just cramps? 

But whatever. We're in the final! 

other than that...we was Brilliant.

seriously, I seen much of that, but thought Hourihane was ok.

They closed down our 2 most creative players and being as our wingers are non-descript, it nullified us.

But what did they really do in the 2 legs ....a gift of an unforced error....and a clattering header, that with some refs could have been ruled out, for crashing in to a ruck of players....they deserved what they got.

33 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Did they also forget Mings got fouled just before they scored? 

Not read the whole thread, but has anyone pointed out that apart from Mings being fouled when he tried to attack the ball, it was also

clearly a foul throw!!

Well, hooray for us... That was hard work wasn't it? Here's my take on the evening...

Would never have gone away to this, even if I could get a ticket and Tuesday night is when I have my daughter come down to mine for dinner. Nicely arranged with my ex-wife for my daughter to go home just before 8pm so I could get to the local pub and watch the game. Walked my daughter home, and walked up to my local pub (10 min walk). Ordered a Guinness... paid my £4.25 and took the pint in hand. I asked the bar man when the footy was coming on (they had BBC1 on at the time - wtf?) and he asked me if the football was on BT or Sky... It appears that this pub only has BT. Words removed...

Hasty drink up of my pint... 10 minute walk to my residence... drive into town in search of a pub showing the game. £3.60 later in parking charges and four pubs later - none of which are showing the football (despite 'watch sport here' hoardings outside). How far we have fallen... Sheesh. So... radio on... not even Radio 5 is giving constant commentary... it was all about who Liverpool and Spuds might buy in the summer... FFS, let's get into the summer first before you worry about all that! Oh... then a quick update from Connah McNamara who informed me that it was 1-0 to Baggies, Dawson the scorer and some incident involving McGinn.

Made it back home for half time... put Radio WM on... and it's Bomber Brown saying how amazing West Brom are doing. Laying on the bed of my spare room, no lights... radio on... cuddling my daughter's soft toy Chewbacca... commentary resumes on FM with Villa oriented pundits... Albion on DAB.

Albion were in the ascendancy at the start of the second half... but Villa came back into it... Time was marching on... looking like extra time... A red card for Brunt... and after that... all the way through extra time, I hardly heard a WBA player name mentioned except for saves and deflections from Johnstone and occasionally reminding us that Brunt had been dismissed. It was all Villa... we did have a go... but it proved too much at the time for us to break them down.

Penalties... what a lottery that is... So much better to be watching them/listening to them as a neutral. Anything could have happened.

Steer... not one... but two saves... Magical... Jedi scoring his... the power of the beard... then Adomah missed. But Colonel Abrahams scored... rejoice... punch the air... even text my mother with the word 'sex.' What a rebel...

Watched the quick Sky interviews with Steer and Abrahams on my phone and a replay of Tammy's penalty. Brushed my teeth... climbed into my own bed and told Alexa to turn my lights out. Slept well... On to the final then folks. Up the Villa.

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

2- as to that point of view ...I couldn’t disagree more. I thought unit was crystal clear - as did all around me - that West Brom we’re indeed systematically taking out our guys whenever we had a run on them and, exactly as @Stragglersaid, trusting that by rotating the culprits and with a weak area they’d get through unscathed. Old3t con in the books and they did it cynically, and well.

They did indeed defend well, but that was in addition to this ploy.

I must have been watching a different game then, admittedly I wasn't there so couldn't see the nuances of the off the ball play but that was just a committed game of championship football for me, not much different to Leeds a few weeks back as well. You would think half the teams we play  are just dirty scumbag teams with bent refs who aren't up to the job every week. This isn't just Villa fans, you go onto opposition forums after we have played them and unsurprisingly they tend to see the game exactly opposite to us, maybe there's a bias at play?

Â