• Adomah (Green 75)
    • Kodjia (El Ghazi 101)
    • Davis (Elmohamady 114)
    • Jedinak (Tuanzebe 120)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Not read the whole thread, but has anyone pointed out that apart from Mings being fouled when he tried to attack the ball, it was also

clearly a foul throw!!

Thought they stopped you drying the ball with a towel too,  or is this just Premier League.

8 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think you have to credit West Brom for most of our short comings in that match, they defended exactly how they set out to in fairness.

Grealish had a very quiet game but with 2 men on you at all times and 9 behind the ball anyone is going to struggle.

Hourihane quiet for the same reasons as Grealish really, I would go back to Whelan for the final definitely and use Hourihane late on if we need to.

Back 4  was fine for me, even all the playing out stuff, stick to your philosophy, we've all wanted this passing game for years and now we finally have it people are shouting for the ball to be hoofed aimlessly up the pitch again.

Abraham really did have a poor game and its funny how he can look every bit a 25 goal striker in one game and then bambi on ice in the next, again maybe you have to just credit West Broms defending here but he really did have a poor game, 

Taylor is frustrating but you don't swap him for Hause now in the final that would be madness, yes he gets nosebleed every time he crosses the half way line which blunts our attack horribly down that side but there's not many Andrew Robertsons knocking around unfortunately.

No, But there are a few Jamal Lewis's and Sessegnons, even Enda Stevens.....look there is much better out there.

as for Albion, I thought they were cynical.....body checking at every opportunity, thats not defending its testing the ref's resolve and just stopping the opposition through illegal means....2 reds and 7 yellows is testament to that, don't be fooled by the Albion sympathisers.

The ref was weak, more so in the second game......2 yellows on 14 fouls.......first game 5 yellows on 12 fouls.

I just read the in--game chat on westbrom.com.  Very enjoyable.

Villa a far better footballing side tonight
As has been all season there’s no real cohesion in the team
Can’t work out what we’re trying to do half the time

Here's the after-match debate too if you're interested :) 

Don't care who wins the play offs now, all 3 of them appointed good head coaches and have planned for the future. It's better for football if clubs run by clowns like our board aren't in the PL.

I’ve had to give up on a debate with my (usually very very sound and intelligent) West Brom supporting mate.

turns out:-

- Only reason they lost was because of the ref on the first leg - they had 2 stonewall penalties, Grealish ‘clearly, unarguably’ dived for the penalty and Gayle’s sending off was borderline corrupt because Steer just rolled around and there was ‘clearly’ minimal contact

- Terry has created a ‘horrible’ Moutinho style approach whereby we ‘ref our own games’ over events that the opposition has done nothing wrong at all. This should be punished apparently.

- Dean Smith is repugnant and they didn’t want him anyway.

- At no point were they tactically negative except after 10 men in the second leg. Stats lie apparently.

- Their approach wasn’t overly physical and our players are just cheats. Also they weren’t wasting time, the ref was just on our side all game. <moral high ground “but I guess those tactics work, sad really”>

- They’ve had bad luck while we’ve had absolutely everything go for us this season. Barry and Gayle on the pitch and they’d have won ‘easily’.

- JRods handball earlier in the season didn’t constitute cheating because it was obvious and baggies fans accepted it was handball.

-Gales dive - which he got punished for was IDENTICAL IN EVERY WAY to the Grealish incident and the independent panel are corrupt

- Our fans are rubbish and their booing of Grealish put him off. Except for the penalty and that’s because we got lucky with the toss ... again

- Mings clearly wasn’t fouled by J Rod in the buildup to their goal.

Hes accepted Brunt sending off was correct at least, but apparently the stamp was accidental.

Ita ridiculous. I’m not saying i disagree with every single statement but Christ, it’s like taking to a flat earther. Every single incident assessed from one very parochial perspective! I even said to him we were there for the taking if they weren’t obsessed with kicking us in the air and hoping for lucky throw ins or mistakes.

I haven’t even had the chance to mention their handball in the box - as he’s just so insistent they have been utterly robbed. 

It’s the holier than thou attitude that got me though. I don’t care about individual incidents as they happened and were called...it’s that we’re now terrible cheats and for some obscure reason their <punished> dives, 3 consecutive red cards, handballs don’t matter whatsoever....because John Terry/Grealish.

FWIW I love having a manager and star player they despise. Shows they are good. It always annoys him that I usually quite ‘like’ West Brom. They’re innofensive and nice usually 😛

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I’ve had to give up on a debate with my (usually very very sound and intelligent) West Brom supporting mate.

turns out:-

- Only reason they lost was because of the ref on the first leg - they had 2 stonewall penalties, Grealish ‘clearly, unarguably’ dived for the penalty and Gayle’s sending off was borderline corrupt because Steer just rolled around and there was ‘clearly’ minimal contact

- Terry has created a ‘horrible’ Moutinho style approach whereby we ‘ref our own games’ over events that the opposition has done nothing wrong at all. This should be punished apparently.

- Dean Smith is repugnant and they didn’t want him anyway.

- At no point were they tactically negative except after 10 men in the second leg. Stats lie apparently.

- Their approach wasn’t overly physical and our players are just cheats. Also they weren’t wasting time, the ref was just on our side all game. <moral high ground “but I guess those tactics work, sad really”>

- They’ve had bad luck while we’ve had absolutely everything go for us this season. Barry and Gayle on the pitch and they’d have won ‘easily’.

- JRods handball earlier in the season didn’t constitute cheating because it was obvious and baggies fans accepted it was handball.

-Gales dive - which he got punished for was IDENTICAL IN EVERY WAY to the Grealish incident and the independent panel are corrupt

- Our fans are rubbish and their booing of Grealish put him off. Except for the penalty and that’s because we got lucky with the toss ... again

- Mings clearly wasn’t fouled by J Rod in the buildup to their goal.

Hes accepted Brunt sending off was correct at least, but apparently the stamp was accidental.

Ita ridiculous. I’m not saying i disagree with every single statement but Christ, it’s like taking to a flat earther. Every single incident assessed from one very parochial perspective! I even said to him we were there for the taking if they weren’t obsessed with kicking us in the air and hoping for lucky throw ins or mistakes.

I haven’t even had the chance to mention their handball in the box - as he’s just so insistent they have been utterly robbed. 

It’s the holier than thou attitude that got me though. I don’t care about individual incidents as they happened and were called...it’s that we’re now terrible cheats and for some obscure reason their <punished> dives, 3 consecutive red cards, handballs don’t matter whatsoever....because John Terry/Grealish.

FWIW I love having a manager and star player they despise. Shows they are good. It always annoys him that I usually quite ‘like’ West Brom. They’re innofensive and nice usually 😛

tenor.gif?itemid=5412476

• Haha 2

Although we did piss arse around at the start of the second half. Steer a hero in the end but could have gifted them a goal during that period. I think the ref was awful, totally weak. Let West Brom get away with too much. Stop us from playing by any means. Grealish my MOTM, head and shoulders above the rest. 

Credit to the Baggies they were very organised and made life very difficult for us, we shot ourselves in the foot by giving them two early goals over the two legs, it allowed them to be negative and defend so deep.

One thing I'm very pleased about is that even in such a hostile atmosphere, with all the pressure we still tried to play good football, we didn't resort to long balls and desperation, something Hinchcliffe on commentary was imploring us to do, that would of played straight in to their hands.

I think the occasion got to both teams a little, they seemed to panic whenever they got into the final third and only really looked dangerous from set pieces, we seemed to want to take an extra touch too often, or play an extra pass.

2 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

we seemed to want to take an extra touch too often, or play an extra pass.

Playing out from the back last night made me really nervy. We looked a bit too casual at times and when we're 4 nil up with 5 mins to go then it looks great but last night wasn't the occasion for it, or as often as we did it.

Then again, theBruceball approach would've done my head in 😳

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Did they also forget Mings got fouled just before they scored? 

The commentator called it a shoulder to shoulder challenge :crylaugh:

Who is that guy? I remember people talking about him in the Leeds match but mercifully I was watching a different feed. He was so biased against Villa it was unreal.

38 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Who is that guy? I remember people talking about him in the Leeds match but mercifully I was watching a different feed. He was so biased against Villa it was unreal.

It was Andy Hinchcliffe.....

which is an anagram for bell end 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Pretty sure it was Andy Hinchcliffe, no idea what his problem is with Villa is though?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blobbyrob said:

Cor wait. 🤣

Couldn’t be less interested myself.

Villa fans views come across better on here, and the interest I now have in  the Baggies is at precisely zero and will stay that way unless and until we have to play them next year.

I’ve seen us called abysmal, shocking, poor, and much else on here.

Ive watched Play Offs for years and I’ve never seen a dismal, shocking, or poor side get through.

Im proud we tried to play football, I thought our character in a hostile environment ( well done Baggies fans) was exceptional. And we Won. I’ve had a chance to watch the Tv version today and whilst we were nowhere near our best, I thought we played, and tried to play, good football.

It looked to me, in both legs, that the players felt the pressure mentally more than anything else.

One more thing, last night I let myself down a bit. By half way through the second half after several possession mistakes I succumbed to the idea that it wasn’t the night for it, that we needed to be more like them. 

Im glad we didn’t adjust in that way. If you are going to have a philosophy ( and it’s served us very well) have the philosophy. Stick with it. I’m glad we continued to try and play possession based football despite the errors, coz, if you change the first time it’s not working, what are you Left with.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, imavillan said:

It was Andy Hinchcliffe.....

which is an anagram for bell end 

55 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Pretty sure it was Andy Hinchcliffe, no idea what his problem is with Villa is though?!

I meant the co-commentator. Hinchcliffe is usually alright with us, but he was surprisingly pretty bad. But the other guy was next level. Worse than Trevor Francis even.

Â