• Abraham
    • Adomah (Green 75)
    • Kodjia (El Ghazi 101)
    • Davis (Elmohamady 114)
    • Jedinak (Tuanzebe 120)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Ecstatic and worn out. That was a tough watch.

Thought we shaded the first half without creating any clear cut chances but one set piece goal and the nerves really kicked in.

Second half up until the sending off we were all over the place, the occasion definitely got to several of our players. 

The sending off at least gave us the initiative but it was never going to be easy against a team that had sat back at Villa Park for 90 minutes previously, it's what they do and to be fair they fought well and we had too many players off colour today.

The penalties were torture but Jed made it a little less painful with 2 early wonder saves, so pleased for him and MOTM for that alone. Think we edged it over the 2 legs but will need to raise our game considerably for success at Wembley.

I really don't know what to say about our wide men, especially the right flank, it is just dire. Albert was better than Andre tonight (to be fair I would have been) then he hits a potential winning penalty into orbit! The thing is, I bet, like me, you knew it was going to happen. Ridiculous footballer.

Too early for Wembley selections but I would seriously be looking at maybe a 4-1-3-2 formation, defence then something like;

Whelan

McGinn Grealish Hourihane  

Tammy  Kodje

Basically eliminate our sh1te ! ?

Anyway, roll on Wembley, we can still do it 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Magnificent result

Taylor is an ok defender but loses the ball literally every time he attempts a positive pass. Massive liability 

He lacks courage and belief.....ever time he moves a few yards forward he checks and passes side ways to avoid anything positive......needs to go.....he lacks any kind of effectiveness...frightened of his own shadow...awful player.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

He lacks courage and belief.....ever time he moves a few yards forward he checks and passes side ways to avoid anything positive......needs to go.....he lacks any kind of effectiveness...frightened of his own shadow...awful player.

I really hope hause replaces Taylor for the final, he's just a better player in all departments, especially going forward.

I get the feeling this won't happen though, smith seems to have a thing for him?

Absolute scenes in the pub down in the South West! Turned out one of the more lively fans was Tyrone Mings' sister, going absolutely nuts dancing around on the tables. Incredible atmosphere during that penaly shoot out... Amazing what this club can put you through. Feel we were quite lucky overall over the 2 legs, but you need luck and so be it.

On to Wembley.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Absolute scenes in the pub down in the South West! Turned out one of the more lively fans was Tyrone Mings' sister, going absolutely nuts dancing around on the tables. Incredible atmosphere during that penaly shoot out... Amazing what this club can put you through. Feel we were quite lucky overall over the 2 legs, but you need luck and so be it.

On to Wembley.

We was unlucky to have Referee's that turn a blind eye to persistent clattering.

We didn't help ourselves granted with poor play....but that was pure cynical.

• Like 1

I slept in and missed the game, woke up in time for the penalty shoot out. As soon as Steer saved the first and then I saw Jedinak was taking our second I thought that's it, we're through. Shocking miss by Adomah, but at least he had the balls to take one.

From what I see here we were pretty poor overall, but that was probably all part of master-plan to lull Leeds or Derby into a false sense of security for the final 😋

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I really hope hause replaces Taylor for the final, he's just a better player in all departments, especially going forward.

I get the feeling this won't happen though, smith seems to have a thing for him?

Yeah, I think its to do with balance.....but I think he is poor.

I think to call that display by Albion as a good defensive one.....is an indictment on defensive football

They made the "crazy gang" at Wimbledon look like saints.

The pundits describing that as a good defensive display is tantamount to a dereliction of duty.....it was a cynical **** show, designed to deny Villa a final place at all costs

**** The Albion......**** The Albion......**** The Albion......**** The Albion.

Yeah..worse than Blues

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

On to Wembley.

agh man. I've moved to Bristol and was considering finding a good pub today. Where in South West were you? 

That was agonizing. So relieved to get through.

How about Jed Steer?! 6 months ago he was at League 1 Charlton, and now he's playing at Wembley with a shot of making the Premier League! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

agh man. I've moved to Bristol and was considering finding a good pub today. Where in South West were you? 

St Ives.

couldn't resist it ,sorry.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Bath. Turns out there's quite a big crew of Villa fans about...

• Thanks 1

Shattered after that. They put you through it don't they. The tie was decided by mistakes by Villa and ill discipline by the Albion. Over the two legs we were the more attacking team and we deserved it. We did have a dodgy spell in the second half but we turned it around in the hostile atmosphere at our neighbours ground. That shows mental toughness and teamwork. I will take that any day of the week. 

Smith should not have started Green  should have been subbed after 20 minutes earlier and we will need to raise out game but who cares. Wembley baby. 

Couldn't watch until about the 60th minute and then had to head back to work when the pens started.  Luckily, no traffic so i could look down at my phone when each player made their run up to kick.

I don't get the hate directed exclusively at Adomah.  It was a poor penalty, but Tammy and Whelan have hit poor pens this season, too.   He seemed a big improvement on Green when he came on and was certainly no worse than pretty much anyone else on the night.  He also nearly scored the winner but for a wonder save from Johnstone.  Obviously, it would be great to have a better option available, but c'mon.

• Like 2

I was at work during the game so I had to watch a replay. Think I'll have to take a double dose of my BP meds tonight!

Most frustrating game of football I ever watched. The ref was shocking, the small time Baggies fans annoying, the commentators appalling (I'll make sure not to watch the Sky feed for the final) and our recent history at Tesco left me with a gigantic pit in my stomach. 

Loaded up the extra time video, and it was 50 minutes long....**** me! Knew in the back of my head that it was going to penalties. Then I realized I've never seen Villa in a shootout before. I've always just watched penalty kicks as an amused neutral. I wasn't ready for this! I've never stressed so much in my life I swear to God!

• Like 2

Kudos to Smith for subbing Jedi on specifically to take a penalty. Never seen the Jed miss a peno before and that was at least one in the bag for us. I had Grealish and Abraham down as most likely to miss one. Never so glad to be proven wrong! 

• Like 1

Â