Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

If we are only playing one up front and are set to land another senior striker costing big money - we are going to have at least one big money striker on the bench.

IMO Wesley is a starter at this moment in time - the back ups are Kjodia, Davis, Hogan, RHM - Given that Wesley hasn't been prolific in his career so far - are we going to bring in another £20m+ striker ? 

I kinda hope so - but I won't be entirely surprised if we don't.

DS throughout his career though - his sides rarely struggle for goals - don't think from open play Tammy scored in his last 5 or 6 last season - yet we got the required goals 

I think we have to despite what system we play.  Our striker options are insufficient at the moment, so I think it's a case of needing another top striker because I'm assuming if Kodja, Davis, Hogan or RHM were going to have to start....lets say 5 matches on the trot because Wes is injured, we wont be confident going into a match would we. 

I also think DS will mix up the style of play this season occasionally based on the players he now has available and that may include 2 upfront.  He'll at least have during some games two upfront, if we are looking for a goal in the final twenty minutes or if the system isnt working that game or if one of our key midfielders is injured during the game he might then punt for two upfront.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think we have to despite what system we play.  Our striker options are insufficient at the moment, so I think it's a case of needing another top striker because I'm assuming if Kodja, Davis, Hogan or RHM were going to have to start....lets say 5 matches on the trot because Wes is injured, we wont be confident going into a match would we. 

I also think DS will mix up the style of play this season occasionally based on the players he now has available and that may include 2 upfront.  He'll at least have during some games two upfront, if we are looking for a goal in the final twenty minutes or if the system isnt working that game or if one of our key midfielders is injured during the game he might then punt for two upfront.

I agree with this, but I also can't help thinking that, actually, Kodjia's style will make him more effective in the Prem.  So while we can't be fully confident of that fact before the start of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if his unorthodox style is strangely effective in the Premier League.  But yes, we do need another striker too, because counter to the Kodjia point is that I think Keinan Davis would be too predictable, and Premier League centrebacks would mark him in their sleep.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Keep all that boring money bollocks to the finances thread anyway, I say. Keep this channel open for the latest spotty bored teenager bullshitting on Twitter.

Yeah, and from Sunday til Wednesday it belongs to Delphinho 123 so he can build us up for ultimate disappointment. 

We haven’t sold anyone yet, Kalinic, Hogan, Bree, Lansbury, Thor and at a push Kodija, Greene & Chester . That’s upwards of £25million plus if we can find willing takers .... I’d sacrifice Steer if we signed a top replacement as well .... Kevin Trapp, Leao & Billings ?! 

keep the faith #announceleao 

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I agree with this, but I also can't help thinking that, actually, Kodjia's style will make him more effective in the Prem.  So while we can't be fully confident of that fact before the start of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if his unorthodox style is strangely effective in the Premier League.  But yes, we do need another striker too, because counter to the Kodjia point is that I think Keinan Davis would be too predictable, and Premier League centrebacks would mark him in their sleep.

Agree - I think Kodjia will surprise a few - including a number of VT posters. I think playing in the Premier League will suit his game and inspire him.

We still need another striker though.

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I agree about Kodja (with a caveat) especially if as some fans have said he has played well during AFCON (Havent seen any of it).  Caveat - But is it me or is it that his style of play may suit being one of the wingers in our 433 system rather than the striker.  That unpredictability and drive would be better suited in El Ghazi type role than an out and out striker.

Edited by nick76

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Yeah, and from Sunday til Wednesday it belongs to Delphinho 123 so he can build us up for ultimate disappointment. 

Called this club on Thursday

Agreed a deal on Friday, and on Saturday and Sunday and Monday,

Announced on Tuesday,

We chilled on Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, nick76 said:

I agree about Kodja especially if as some fans have said he has played well during AFCON (Havent seen any of it).  But is it me or is it that his style of play may suit being one of the wingers in our 433 system rather than the striker.  That unpredictability and drive would be better suited in El Ghazi type role than an out and out striker.

Well he gives us the option, and we know he's fine on the wing.  I was just commenting specifically about him in a striking role because we were discussing strikers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I agree about Kodja especially if as some fans have said he has played well during AFCON (Havent seen any of it).  But is it me or is it that his style of play may suit being one of the wingers in our 433 system rather than the striker.  That unpredictability and drive would be better suited in El Ghazi type role than an out and out striker.

But sadly he has almost zero interest in finding his teammates when he has the ball.

Looks down on his feet, trying to find a shot for himself.

If he had vision and good passing he'd be a nice option on the flank, but he hasn't.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

But sadly he has almost zero interest in finding his teammates when he has the ball.

Looks down on his feet, trying to find a shot for himself.

If he had vision and good passing he'd be a nice option on the flank, but he hasn't.

This is why I think he's far more suited to a striker's role.  He doesn't look up, but he has an almost Paulo Wanchope-esque ability to bundle past players and retain possession, which; when done as a striker; means he invariably finds himself very close to goal.  As a winger it gives him much more to do, and while it looks impressive, it does mean much less end result.

• Like 3

I think Smith will be after someone really rapid who can play all across a front 3. I suspect he is wanting a large proportion of goals to come from the wings or attacking midfield areas, with someone holding it up up front. 

Wesley can do the hold up role, with Kodjia and Davis as back up. This Leao bloke sounds like exactly what we need, but I'm sure there are others in the frame. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I think Smith will be after someone really rapid who can play all across a front 3. I suspect he is wanting a large proportion of goals to come from the wings or attacking midfield areas, with someone holding it up up front. 

Wesley can do the hold up role, with Kodjia and Davis as back up. This Leao bloke sounds like exactly what we need, but I'm sure there are others in the frame. 

Spot on.

I also think we ought to be shopping for another right back as back up for Fred. I would not be surprised in the least if Bruce came in for Elmo at some point. Bree is not that player. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is why I think he's far more suited to a striker's role.  He doesn't look up, but he has an almost Paulo Wanchope-esque ability to bundle past players and retain possession, which; when done as a striker; means he invariably finds himself very close to goal.  As a winger it gives him much more to do, and while it looks impressive, it does mean much less end result.

Wow that's a throwback

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Judging on the reviews from last nights game (I've only seen highlights); it looks as though our current squad going into the season should be:

GK: Steer, Kalinic & Nyland

RB: Guilbert & Elmo

LB: Targett & Taylor

CB: Mings, Engels, Konsa, Chester & Hause

DM: Hourihane

CM: Grealish, McGinn & Lansbury

RW: Jota

LW: El Ghazi

ST: Wesley, Kodjia & Davis

For the remainder of the transfer window I would be wanting:

DM x 2 - Hourihane then pushes up to the fourth CM spot.

RW & LW - We are slightly short on firepower up top, ideally we should be looking at a player who can play on one wing or as striker if we are short on funds.

GK - Not a major problem right now, it could be put on hold until January. There is no point overpaying for Butland or Heaton when we have 3 potential goalkeepers on the books.

Sell: Bree, Bjarnasson, Tshibola, Hogan

Loan: O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes, Green, RHM & possibly Davis if we sign another ST

Good post. I agree with pretty much everything.

I am still concerned about the dm position and the lack of depth in the rw and lw positions.

7 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I also think we ought to be shopping for another right back as back up for Fred. I would not be surprised in the least if Bruce came in for Elmo at some point. Bree is not that player. 

Initially I thought we needed another right back. Elmo worries me a little in the PL. But I think Engels and Konsa might be able to cover RB too. Just as Mings and Hause cover LB.

• Like 1