Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

injured a lot, allegedly fell out with eddie howe, and according to the bmth fans in my office he was "dogshit"

Yet them went and signed kelly from City who is nowhere near as good as Mings. 

I just hope Mings is past his injuries. We don't need another injury prone player

Definitely not Gayle. Also not sure I'd go for Maupay, as much as I think he could be decent. It's a matter of risk for me. It's one of the only positions where I think decent prem experience will tell, which is why they go for the big bucks I suppose.

There have been plenty of decent footballing sides come up from the championship, but just don't score enough. Even more of an issue when you play with one up and need someone to hold it up to bring our wide men in, and score stacks of goals. 

I think someone on VT earlier this year said that the difference between prem and championship strikers (and other positions) was that whilst championhship players can do one or two things well, prem players have a broader skillset.

That's why I worry about recruiting a championship striker. I'm sure DS will have done his due diligence though.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I’d be looking to see if we could get Harry Wilson and/or Mason Mount. Obviously we’d want to buy or loan with an option to. 

Before the final I would have said yes to Wilson. However, the only thing he did was prove how much of a petulant twonk he was - throwing himself around and whinging to the ref. I took immense pleasure in seeing the final whistle blown whilst he was blasting the lino for something. Bell.

42 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I said could step up. Could. You disagree?

Have you always been a knob?

Well, in the sense that anyone could step up then okay sure (anything is possible I guess) but I've seen nothing to suggest he's a PL quality player, he's just scored a load of goals but apparently that's not enough to justify Abraham as being any good so why is it a good yardstick for Maupay....strange.

Not sure the other bit was warranted, laughably if I posted that I'd have a 5 point warning already..............

Going back a bit but in the book Ron Saunders Scrapbook, Im sure he mentions the one delight in being a manager is taking a player from another team that hasnt worked out and making him work in your own team.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Definitely not Gayle. Also not sure I'd go for Maupay, as much as I think he could be decent. It's a matter of risk for me. It's one of the only positions where I think decent prem experience will tell, which is why they go for the big bucks I suppose.

There have been plenty of decent footballing sides come up from the championship, but just don't score enough. Even more of an issue when you play with one up and need someone to hold it up to bring our wide men in, and score stacks of goals. 

I think someone on VT earlier this year said that the difference between prem and championship strikers (and other positions) was that whilst championhship players can do one or two things well, prem players have a broader skillset.

That's why I worry about recruiting a championship striker. I'm sure DS will have done his due diligence though.  

dont think maupay is a villa player to be honest. the guy is 5ft 7...that's quite wee. we need another tammy and i can see deano looking at someone of his stature otherwise our set pieces become much less threatening

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well, in the sense that anyone could step up then okay sure (anything is possible I guess) but I've seen nothing to suggest he's a PL quality player, he's just scored a load of goals but apparently that's not enough to justify Abraham as being any good so why is it a good yardstick for Maupay....strange.

Not sure the other bit was warranted, laughably if I posted that I'd have a 5 point warning already..............

You were being antagonist for no reason but lets move on.

Firstly, no, not anybody can step up. in terms of having the raw ingredients to succeed in the PL though, I think Maupay has them. Not a sure thing, hence I said could. Abd its more than just goals.

And I don't know why you're bringing Abraham into this. I've certainly never claimed he isn't good enough. On the contrary, I'd love us to sign him.

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

A player I would absolutely love is Steven Bergwijn from PSV as well. Huge talent and him and El Ghazi on either flank would be frightening, even in the PL. That would be a statement signing for sure. 

I'd imagine he'll be a bit too expensive for us considering all the other needs we have, but I'd love him as well. We'd be a real threat offensively.

50 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Gayle has shown he isn't premier league quality from his time at Newcastle and Palace. A newly promoted side needs a very clinical striker as chances will be few and far between. Sadly I don't think Tammy is there yet and the jury is out on maupay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abdomlahor said:

I follow Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga and Milot Rashica has been unbelievable this season. He'd light it up here. Him and El Ghazi swapping wings would be tasty.

Certainly a speedy little bugger.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Still amazed that Mings didn’t get a game at Bournemouth... what did they want from a CB!?

I think they had one eye on him playing LB. Also Howe didn't make him feel particularly welcome from what I hear, so it's no surprise his performance suffered. If Mings plays like last season, he will be an England International by next May. 

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Still amazed that Mings didn’t get a game at Bournemouth... what did they want from a CB!?

I think they had one eye on him playing LB. Also Howe didn't make him feel particularly welcome from what I hear, so it's no surprise his performance suffered. If Mings plays like last season, he will be an England International by next May. 

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I agree, he seems a fantastic talent.

48 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

dont think maupay is a villa player to be honest. the guy is 5ft 7...that's quite wee. we need another tammy and i can see deano looking at someone of his stature otherwise our set pieces become much less threatening

Agreed. That's why Tammy is a bit of a find. Tall, strong, can hold it up, but is also not slow. Don't get me wrong I think he still needs work. He needs far too many chances to score for a Prem player, but if he gets that in his locker he will be immense. I'd be happy to get him in again on loan tbh, and in the meantime blood an existing young'un or get a young, hungry backup who we can bring on through the seasopn with a view to being the main man next year. I appreciate this goes against what I said before about experience, but I think we could make an exception for Tammy.   

Edited by HKP90
typo

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Being linked with so many players already. I think maupay could be a good signing but at 20m very excessive.

i know this might be unpopular but what about che Adams? I think he is a very good striker. Bid 15m and give them Gardner would nab him

Exactly.. especially when amazing potential is on offer for the same fee in Everton's Ademola Lookman!

Come on Villa! Get him and Tuanzebe in please.