Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Delph would be a ‘no’ for me. But Milner, Cahill or Albrighton (on the right deal), would be great, especially when you consider the fact that we have about 17 players right now. 

A hell no on Delph.

The only 2 former Villa players who are still playing that I would consider us signing would be Cahill and Milner - and that is only if the wages are right and on a 1 year deal.

No one else really stands out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A hell no on Delph.

The only 2 former Villa players who are still playing that I would consider us signing would be Cahill and Milner - and that is only if the wages are right and on a 1 year deal.

No one else really stands out.

This is where I am. I'd add Albrighton in there too, though, just because as DDID pointed out, we attack with a lot of a crosses, and Albrighton would fit into that perfectly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Maybe these owners (plus Suso and Dean) would consider it an investment? A risk worth taking? Add £20m onto the transfer pot, on the assumption that we will own a player that has the potential to double in value?

A different situation entirely, but I always think back to the Lambert season when Lerner wouldn't stump up the £6m for Aaron Cresswell. So instead we bought Joe Bennett for £3m, who needed replacing with Antonio Luna for £2m, who needed replacing with Aly Cissokho for £1.5m.... who ended up being replaced by Kieran Richardson and then Amavi for £8m :rolleyes: :crylaugh:

Absolutely bang on. It has to be about value added. We cannot just spunk this transfer window away. Most important in a long time. For once we have the salary capacity, forward thinking manager /owners and money to spend. We've got a real opportunity to put together something special here. I  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Absolutely bang on. It has to be about value added. We cannot just spunk this transfer window away. Most important in a long time. For once we have the salary capacity, forward thinking manager /owners and money to spend. We've got a real opportunity to put together something special here. I  

Absolutely spot on.

9 hours ago, KMitch said:

I'm good friends with a Fulham supporter and we've talked about their season many times.

They got relegated because:

• They had 2 new goalkeepers and couldn't decide which one was worse than the other - we could well fall into this trap with Steer and Kalinic
  • Their defense, apart from Chambers, was not Premier League quality - At the moment the same as us apart from Mings (who we've not even signed yet)
  • Their board overreacted and sacked Jokanovic way too early on into the season
  • They lost Schurrle to a virus for a quarter of the season and he was too inconsistent before that - Jack has had illness or injuries which have kept him out for big chunks of the last two seasons
  • They massively overpaid for Zambo & Seri, who didn't justify what they paid for them
  • Sessegnon didn't get a solid run of games as a winger, and played LB in place of Joe Bryan a lot of times.

Sounds like they started to get their act together after Parker took over, but by that point they were already relegated.  

The day they sacked Jokanovic, I laughed my backside off!  Such a bad decision from the Fulham owners, they have massively downgraded in the coaching department now with Parker only really learning his trade.

Anyway, I think it's obvious that Fulham are the blueprint for how not to survive and I hope the board have examined exactly what they wrong in order to avoid the same problems.  That said it's worrying how similar they are to us, even reading those reasons you listed off I can see us being in danger of falling into the same trap on at-least 3 of them:

• They had 2 new goalkeepers and couldn't decide which one was worse than the other - we could well fall into this trap with Steer and Kalinic
  • Their defense, apart from Chambers, was not Premier League quality - At the moment the same as us apart from Mings (who we've not even signed yet)
  • They lost Schurrle to a virus for a quarter of the season and he was too inconsistent before that - Jack has had illness or injuries which have kept him out for big chunks of the last two seasons. Imagine if we lost him this season!
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Maybe these owners (plus Suso and Dean) would consider it an investment? A risk worth taking? Add £20m onto the transfer pot, on the assumption that we will own a player that has the potential to double in value?

A different situation entirely, but I always think back to the Lambert season when Lerner wouldn't stump up the £6m for Aaron Cresswell. So instead we bought Joe Bennett for £3m, who needed replacing with Antonio Luna for £2m, who needed replacing with Aly Cissokho for £1.5m.... who ended up being replaced by Kieran Richardson and then Amavi for £8m :rolleyes: :crylaugh:

I'm totally with you on that but we're talking about 35mil+, not just a case of spending a few mil more. In any case, I think if we recruit smartly, spreading the extra 20mil around rather than hedging our bets on one striker is safer. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are will still talking about Maxi Gómez?  This isn’t going to happen. The guy is touted as the next Suarez. 

At this moment in time we need to be finding Maxi Gomez’s before the world knows about them.  

The day Wolves signed Neves in the Championship my whole opinion on transfers changed. The Premier League is where it's at now, and we're in it. There's only 20 teams.

The really exciting thing for me is that we still have no idea how ambitious our owners are going to be. I think Villa fans are pessimistic by nature (me certainly included), but we are 8X richer than Everton and they signed Richardson for £50m, Sigurdsson for £45m etc. Things have changed and nothing is impossible any more imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Great post. Given the link seemingly quoted us and Valencia as in for him, it could well be that the owners are genuinely willing to go for him early with a big money move as a signal of intent. Signing a player like him will improve our appeal for other players considering joining us + keeping Grealish in future.

If we pull it off - great, I say it’s a worthwhile investment for so many reasons 

If we don’t - nothing to lose, plenty of time/targets to look for elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

Copa America starts next week, and all the players are training with their national teams already, so medicals/transfers are unlikely to take place for South American players (or those of the guest countries Japan and Qatar) until a couple of weeks after their country exits the competition.

In Gomez's case, Uruguay are third favourites so no matter where he moves, it's unlikely that happens until after the 7th of July (when the Final is scheduled and he'll probably have a holiday too no doubt!).

Our Pre-Season game in the States is on the 17th of July. Be interesting to see if we start pre-season with Kodjia, Davis and Hepburn-Murphy as our strikers (I'm assuming Hogan wont be on pre-season with us as he is likely to be sold).

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Great post. Given the link seemingly quoted us and Valencia as in for him, it could well be that the owners are genuinely willing to go for him early with a big money move as a signal of intent. Signing a player like him will improve our appeal for other players considering joining us + keeping Grealish in future.

If we pull it off - great, I say it’s a worthwhile investment for so many reasons 

I'd agree with this, however I remember West Ham promising their fans a big name striker one summer and being linked with loads of big names, in the end they got turned down by them all and ended up chucking £20m at Swansea for Andre Ayew...

I think our board are a little more competent than Gold, Sullivan and Brady though...

8 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

The day Wolves signed Neves in the Championship my whole opinion on transfers changed. The Premier League is where it's at now, and we're in it. There's only 20 teams.

The really exciting thing for me is that we still have no idea how ambitious our owners are going to be. I think Villa fans are pessimistic by nature (me certainly included), but we are 8X richer than Everton and they signed Richardson for £50m, Sigurdsson for £45m etc. Things have changed and nothing is impossible any more imo.

I see where you are coming from mate but are we 8 times richer than Everton?

Doesn’t FFP now mean it’s all about revenue rather than owner wealth? 

So whilst every club will have the broadcasting revenue to spend it will only be the top 5 or 6 teams that can spend more than the rest after establishing themselves before FFP came in to force.  

10 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Could also have the opposite effect of alerting clubs that we're willing to spend big - they'd dig in for a few extra million on any proposed deal. It happens to Man Utd. because Woodward has set so many precedents for over-paying for players.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That maxi gomes looks on another level to Tammy.  35m I'd pay that as I think he does well over here he will be worth double that in years to come. 

He looks like a beast

His release clause seems to be 50million euro(just over 44million pounds) , it would have cut in half if celta had gone done , really can't see us paying money near this and the Spanish sides tend to hold tight till the release clause is triggered

I had a feeling they were planning something big. A statement signing if you like. This could be it. Maybe Tammy isnt coming because we don't want him or hsd bigger plans? Who knows? Smith didn't sign Tammy. Suso will be looking on the continent.

I wouldn't rule it out. Gomes has the potential to be top level but isnt there yet. Which means he's still in reach of ambitious clubs outside the top 6. We're that potentially I would say.

They said its going to be an exciting ride or words to that effect, did they not?

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see where you are coming from mate but are we 8 times richer than Everton?

Doesn’t FFP now mean it’s all about revenue rather than owner wealth? 

So whilst every club will have the broadcasting revenue to spend it will only be the top 5 or 6 teams that can spend more than the rest after establishing themselves before FFP came in to force.  

I guess it depends on how you consider a clubs wealth. Farhad Moshiri is worth about $2bn, whereas Sawaris & Edens combined are worth at least $10bn. 

Being in the premier league for the past three years and getting huge revenue because of this is obviously a huge advantage, but look at Wolves. Even Fulham, Khan is worth about $5bn and they spent $100m. 

I guess a super rich owner only means so much because it's down to what they want to invest but based on the cash injections we've seen in companies house and their combined wealth I really don't think 30/40m signings are beyond the realms of possibility.