Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

45 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder how he's gotten on at Stoke this year, it seems most Brentford players fail to live up to the hype once they move on.........

He hasn't done great so far. Started off brightly then faded away with them.

Here's their forums recent thread on him:- http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/286114/woods

Edited by Villan4Life

Woods was brilliant at VP. Started almost all their moves. Not sure he's got enough presence defensively to play that role should we go up. Bearing in mind we've already got Grealish in midfield.

I think some players are built for certain styles, I compare Brentford to Swansea about 10 years ago. Britton for example got a move to Sheffield United and couldnt adapt and went back to Swansea and thrived again

Woods might do something here

• Like 1

7 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I disagree with this. Yes Taylor has been better but imo both flanks will need a massive overhaul should we go up. El Ghazi would be the only player I would retain in the current squad. The right FB coming in from France maybe a solution but RM and LB require  longer term solutions of a higher quality. Hause may step up but I would still look at other options. Ming's would be staying at CB if we managed to hold onto him. Taylor would get destroyed in the prem.

I was only referring to keeping Taylor if we're still in the Championship next season. If we go up he definitely needs to be replaced.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sne said:

Cahill is on £120k/w at Chelsea, granted he'll be on £0/w when his contract runs out.

But I bet he'd be very expensive still and want a 3 year contract.

Not the way to go.

Plus we will be looking for someone else next year, cause he’s on the wane at 35. Let’s start team building with younger long term players. I’ve had enough of MON, Steve Bruce ‘of the moment’ teams

• Like 3

What do you make of Smith's performance in the transfer market so far? For me, Kings was a masterstroke, kalinic to be decided as we haven't seen enough of him, and carroll was a bit random. 

Would be interesting to see what he does with money if we were to be promoted

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

What do you make of Smith's performance in the transfer market so far? For me, Kings was a masterstroke, kalinic to be decided as we haven't seen enough of him, and carroll was a bit random. 

Would be interesting to see what he does with money if we were to be promoted

After slow start Hause has been good too. Recalling Green and Elphick was clever moves. Probably wont give him credit for recalling Steer as that was injury related but he has stuck with him as No. 1

• Like 1

Woods is a decent player at this level, nothing more.

When you have a manager who without the ball,  instructs 9 outfield players to retreat to 10-20 yards inside their half, you're going to look like Pirlo. It's easy. I could do it.

Bannan looked like the second coming of Jesus. It's no surprise any team playing with that sitter has been made to look brilliant at Villa Park over the course of his reign.

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

When you have a manager who without the ball,  instructs 9 outfield players to retreat to 10-20 yards inside their half, you're going to look like Pirlo. It's easy. I could do it.

Bannan looked like the second coming of Jesus. It's no surprise any team playing with that sitter has been made to look brilliant at Villa Park over the course of his reign.

This is very true.
I remember being beaten a couple of times by Brentford under Bruce and everytime Woods ran the show. It was so so so simple just to tweak it tactically and press a little higher and make sure he didnt get time on the ball but Bruce couldn't figure it out. 
It was moments like these that made me really question Bruce as a manager.

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Reading that Stoke thread it reminded me of the old Westwood thread 😂

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Dont buy a Bristol City player. They will come covered in cardboard and cost 10 times their value.

Yes but the manager also has to chase them down the motorway ;) 

• Haha 1

On 17/04/2019 at 13:11, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder how he's gotten on at Stoke this year, it seems most Brentford players fail to live up to the hype once they move on.........

Could that be down to the coaching and system at Brentford rather than the players? 

They all learn a certain way and understand each other’s game. Brentford always look a good team rather than having stand out individuals.

On 17/04/2019 at 10:53, AXD said:

I don’t mind having one or two of those. Look at the difference Terry made last year in mentality.

If we sign cahill and eg mings and Abraham that would balance things out for me. 

Being an older player =/= being John Terry 

Thibaud Verlinden of Stoke is  a real talent, He is a Belgium Right Winger that can play on the Left. Only 19 years old too .

I watched him live for first time vs Wolves u23 last Monday night at Molyneaux and saw him in one move dribble past 4 or 5 Wolves players before laying it off to his team mate Dan Jarvis. He was unplayable in this game and Wolves couldn't deal with him.

He has just set up Ashley William's goal for Stoke vs Norwich in the game being played at moment  from a  corner kick.

Someone in my view Villa should monitor as he has all the attributes to improve in the future.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

As well as Verlinden. His 17 year old team mate Nathan Collins (Centre Back) who made his first full start  for Stoke's first team against Middlesbrough and also played in Wolves U23 vs Stoke U23 game last Monday that i went to looks a very good talent too.

Have you see Nathan Collins play @sir_gary_cahill? He's an absolute talent mate

Edited by Villan4Life

I want Ben Davies for our left back spot if we go up.

Sign Mings, Tuanzebe, and hause in that order if we can. Jedinak will be released, so let's try for Cahill to get some leadership. Cahill-Mings can be a great partnership. 

We need a new DM, but I'd also give Whelan a year extension. As long as he is not our #1 DM, i'd love to keep him another year. 

Sign El Ghazi, and get another winger in.

Unfortunately so much of this team is not really ours currently. El Ghazi, Tammy, Mings,  and Tuanzebe are all key players for us, but technically aren't our players. 

The biggest mistake teams make when getting promoted is changing up the team too much. We need to sign the players that got us up. 

• Like 4