The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That said, I find people's apparent severe dislike of pundits really, really odd too.

ditto. i wonder if it stems from people thinking that they could do as good a job when actually, they really couldn't. OK we could probably chat about villa a fair bit, but these guys watch 3-4 games most saturdays...and not just have one eye on it with a pint in front of them, they've actually got to really pay attention as a few hours later they'll be talking about it in front of thousands of people. it's a tough gig, and i don't think a lot of them get the respect they deserve

yes there are some that you can tell have done zero research before covering a non scum 6 team's game (i'm looking at the likes of souness here) but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I listened to the Sue Ellen puff piece on Radio 4 today with tory and political journalist Nick Robinson. She came out with some shite about Lineker talking about the holocaust being offensive. But Lineker didn’t do that, Robinson knew he didn’t do that, but he didn’t correct her, he didn’t edit it out. He broadcast something he knew to be a twist and left it in uncorrected.

Or just imagine having to apologise because someone told the truth about Boris Johnsons Dad breaking his wifes nose, funny the difference between the two situations

Tory journo doesn't correct Tory minister when she's basically lying to camera and the public

Presenter with suspected Tory leanings, apologises to camera because someone stated an unpleasant fact about a former Tory PMs Dad who said former PM is trying to get his Dad a peerage

Quite an odd couple of events to compare

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

ditto. i wonder if it stems from people thinking that they could do as good a job when actually, they really couldn't. OK we could probably chat about villa a fair bit, but these guys watch 3-4 games most saturdays...and not just have one eye on it with a pint in front of them, they've actually got to really pay attention as a few hours later they'll be talking about it in front of thousands of people. it's a tough gig, and i don't think a lot of them get the respect they deserve

yes there are some that you can tell have done zero research before covering a non scum 6 team's game (i'm looking at the likes of souness here) but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule

Not arguing that pundits have to watch 3-4 games on a Saturday but so do I and many many other people and i can’t remember the last time I had a drink during a game.  

I just don’t see how you think they have a tough gig?  

I don’t think I could do a better job than them but I also don’t think they do a great job so my viewing of MOTD is becoming less.  Their analysis isn’t always great, they get many things wrong and don’t even get me going on their analysis on Villa.

I miss the in match commentary but the pundits I could do without, I just don’t think they add much and hence why I watch sky sport YouTube highlights of the games I don’t see, more often now because I get the commentary without the pundits.

I actually quite enjoyed the MOTD without the pundits, if they add the commentary they could be on to a winner.  Even if they just offer that as a separate viewing alternative and give each team similar time.  Although I guess Sky already have covered that with their YouTube shorts.  

Anyway the point was, they don’t have a tough job, they are ok but get things wrong or are inconsistent or biased or uninformed…..I guess just human but I don’t think they add much personally to the program but pundits do draw the audience so are required.  

I still can’t get over you saying it’s a “tough gig” it’s almost my dream job…sit and watch top level games, do some analysis, aided a top tech team and get paid a mint for it…

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Take the phrase I hate Leeds fans

Replace the word fans with a minority or even some majorities.

You are looking to replace the wrong word, not sure if it is puposeful but in your sentence realistically it should be Leeds that should be changed. I hate all reggae fans, I hate all avante grade cinema fans. No not a difference really. I suppose to fit your purpose you could take a word that doesn’t allude to minority and change that. 

6 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Take the phrase I hate Leeds fans

Replace the word fans with a minority or even some majorities.

It's like you're not even thinking for a second before posting. If Braverman had said 'I hate migrants' you'd have a point, but she didn't. The whole point of the comment is the rest of the inflammatory language, which clearly sounds like something from 1930s Germany. It's not the only thing the government are doing that  has authoritarian precedent either and filling up the top echelons of the BBC with their own stooges is a pretty great example, particularly when then, magically, the BBC starts cracking down on one very specific angle of dissent. This is nigh on undeniable. 

The examples of Nick Robinson today and Fiona Bruce on question time add fuel to this fire, but there have been plenty of examples from the BBC over the last few years.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Not arguing that pundits have to watch 3-4 games on a Saturday but so do I and many many other people and i can’t remember the last time I had a drink during a game.  

I just don’t see how you think they have a tough gig?  

I don’t think I could do a better job than them but I also don’t think they do a great job so my viewing of MOTD is becoming less.  Their analysis isn’t always great, they get many things wrong and don’t even get me going on their analysis on Villa.

I miss the in match commentary but the pundits I could do without, I just don’t think they add much and hence why I watch sky sport YouTube highlights of the games I don’t see, more often now because I get the commentary without the pundits.

I actually quite enjoyed the MOTD without the pundits, if they add the commentary they could be on to a winner.  Even if they just offer that as a separate viewing alternative and give each team similar time.  Although I guess Sky already have covered that with their YouTube shorts.  

Anyway the point was, they don’t have a tough job, they are ok but get things wrong or are inconsistent or biased or uninformed…..I guess just human but I don’t think they add much personally to the program but pundits do draw the audience so are required.  

I still can’t get over you saying it’s a “tough gig” it’s almost my dream job…sit and watch top level games, do some analysis, aided a top tech team and get paid a mint for it…

i meant tough in terms of difficulty. trying to condense a 90 game into 3-4 mins of analysis that, when is all said and done, not 1 person is going to tweet "shearer's analysis of spurs today was spot on" and will only get feedback when it's negative or if they make a mistake. i don't think the MOTD folks get much wrong compared the those on sky and talkshite and i do feel they try and go beyond just talking about the goals and look at team shape etc. i kinda hope they set up their own show on youtube or something, where they're not limited to how much analysis they can give

i absolutely guarantee they are not on to a 'winner' for the reason you said. viewings will be massively down if this is the new format, even if they add commentary. because why wait till 10.30pm for something you can see hours earlier?

People seem to bang on about this anti Villa or non-existent Villa analysis on MOTD, but I very distinctly remember them harping on about how well our defensive shape was against Leeds (a game in which I thought were far the better side) and how we switched from a 5 to a 6 at times, controlling where the ball was played. Also did a piece just the other week looking at how the narrow midfield 3 caused all sorts of problems for… maybe Everton?

It’s a narrative that is oft repeated on here, but it’s just not a thing. I guess maybe people feel it because we don’t get the same exposure as a side in the title race or fighting relegation… but that’s because our position is nowhere near as interesting as those who are. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Okay, the Nazis went in a particular direction which is unlikely to be repeated,

I once agreed with this statement.  But the actions of Donald Trump made me realise how easy it is to slide down that slippery slope.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

People seem to bang on about this anti Villa or non-existent Villa analysis on MOTD, but I very distinctly remember them harping on about how well our defensive shape was against Leeds (a game in which I thought were far the better side) and how we switched from a 5 to a 6 at times, controlling where the ball was played. Also did a piece just the other week looking at how the narrow midfield 3 caused all sorts of problems for… maybe Everton?

It’s a narrative that is oft repeated on here, but it’s just not a thing. I guess maybe people feel it because we don’t get the same exposure as a side in the title race or fighting relegation… but that’s because our position is nowhere near as interesting as those who are. 

It’s all football fans. I actually think Arsenal fans are the worst. They genuinely believe everyone is against them.

Anyway back on topic. Murphy is a terrible pundit. 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i absolutely guarantee they are not on to a 'winner' for the reason you said. viewings will be massively down if this is the new format

I can’t agree but we’ll never know unless they do it.  Many just want to see the highlights without all the post analysis especially when they mainly focus on the same teams all the time…..but as you point out…

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

because why wait till 10.30pm for something you can see hours earlier?

So yeah Sky Sports have stole march on this idea with their YouTube highlight shorts that you can see quite quickly after the game has played…

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It’s a narrative that is oft repeated on here, but it’s just not a thing.

In your opinion but each have their own opinion…many don’t agree with this view but I’m sure many agree with you.

Edited by nick76

9 hours ago, Nicho said:

Wow

hopefully not broken any forum guidelines by not posting this properly 

Wow, thanks for posting that. I hadn’t seen this but it is perhaps the most devastatingly perceptive comment on this issue that so have heard.

It has just moved from a position of “Gary Lineker has a right to say what he thinks, right or wrong” to “Actually, Gary Lineker was right”.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Good lord. I do genuinely worry we are heading down the crazy American route. 

I do have hope we havent got as many idiots though. Surely GB News can't become what Fox has. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Good lord. I do genuinely worry we are heading down the crazy American route. 

I do have hope we havent got as many idiots though. Surely GB News can't become what Fox has. 

Won't it need more than its 500 viewers for that to happen? 

• Like 1

Â