The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think this is another of those "who is they" ones. 

Sure, and I don't disagree with any of your wider post.

The "they" I was referring to though are Government comms people and how they see stories about their asylum seeker policies as a good thing and not something that needs to be hidden from public view by stories about Gary Lineker and his BBC contract. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Yep, you can see how fascism can creep in so gently. It doesn't come in wearing a cloak and an evil mask. It starts with outlawing protests, silencing critics and dehumanising 'others'. And it certainly doesn't like a mirror being held up to it. I hope Braverman's career somehow gets the consequences she deserves now.

Equally so does communism come "creeping in so gently"...everyone should be aware of the extreme left and extreme right. Its the treading the narrow path between that we need to walk carefully 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Equally so does communism come "creeping in so gently"...everyone should be aware of the extreme left and extreme right. Its the treading the narrow path between that we need to walk carefully 

Yes, avoiding the extremes is good. I feel slighty differently about the bit in between - I think it's pretty broad. Proper communism can't really creep in gently because it would mean the state grabbing essentially everything and controlling everything and deciding and portioning out what each citizen gets from the state owned everything. It would require a revolution, as others have said. And people aren't going to revolt in that cause.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

The Tories like people to think that but usually what they accuse of being communism is just well established social democracy. As others have said anything extreme left requires a revolution and it just isn't going to happen. We're skewed so far right in our discourse though, and the threat of communism is a useful bogeyman that the mega wealthy use to argue against any tax responsibility. 

Edited by Rolta

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'm old enough to remember when communism was going to be piped in straight down your copper wires and into your lounge

I'm old enough to remember thinking communism was a viable system where the talented would work hard, not for personal gain but for the benefit of their fellow man, and everyone would have a job building Austins, with gangs of volunteers tilling the farmland by hand, singing songs about the glorious leader and the heroes of the proletariat. No one would earn any more than anyone else and money would have an expiry date, so kulaks couldn't hoard it. Every rosy-cheeked child would have one ambition and that would be to be acclaimed as a Stakhanovite hero in the mine, shipyard or steel mill. With no inequality there would be no envy and no crime; and the proletariat would stand shoulder to shoulder with their brothers and sisters and march forward into history.

It's a pity the people voted for economic materialism instead, and I guess they always will.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I'm old enough to remember thinking communism was a viable system where the talented would work hard, not for personal gain but for the benefit of their fellow man, and everyone would have a job building Austins, with gangs of volunteers tilling the farmland by hand, singing songs about the glorious leader and the heroes of the proletariat. No one would earn any more than anyone else and money would have an expiry date, so kulaks couldn't hoard it. Every rosy-cheeked child would have one ambition and that would be to be acclaimed as a Stakhanovite hero in the mine, shipyard or steel mill. With no inequality there would be no envy and no crime; and the proletariat would stand shoulder to shoulder with their brothers and sisters and march forward into history.

It's a pity the people voted for economic materialism instead, and I guess they always will.

You grew up in 1910 Russia? 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

M Night Shyamalan himself should study this post because the twist at the end is a thing of beauty.

:trollface: 

I jest of course, but my point is the media in general all have an agenda of sorts. 

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

Letter from the leadership of the BBC Singers to the Chairman of the BBC, Richard Sharp.

Pretty scathing about the senior management.

https://slippedisc.com/2023/03/leaked-letter-a-toxic-culture-of-fear-and-paranoia-at-the-bbc-from-the-d-g-down/

Having spoken to many of our BBC colleagues over the last week, there is a recurring narrative of toxic culture that now exists at the BBC, reflected in the working environment from the Director General downwards. Our own experiences of aggressive and confrontational dialogue (particularly with Lorna Clarke) have been echoed time and time again in accounts from other colleagues. A culture of fear and paranoia has been created as seismic decisions on the corporation’s future are taken at speed without any proper analysis or meaningful consultation.

Tories not only destroying the NHS but also the BBC. What will be left when they've hollowed out all of the UK?

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Letter from the leadership of the BBC Singers to the Chairman of the BBC, Richard Sharp.

Pretty scathing about the senior management.

https://slippedisc.com/2023/03/leaked-letter-a-toxic-culture-of-fear-and-paranoia-at-the-bbc-from-the-d-g-down/

Tories not only destroying the NHS but also the BBC. What will be left when they've hollowed out all of the UK?

Hopefully they won't have enough time left to do that (or complete it😣), before the General Election..... 🤞

• Like 1

Â