Racism Part two

Demitri_C

If literally anything other than 'we are the best because we won World War 2 and that's all there is to it' is going to be considered 'disrespectful', then there isn't going to be much of a discussion about anything is there.

Which is obviously the point.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I would say defeating the  Nazis is probably the most important part of modern British and world history.

Given that you haven't mentioned any of the other allies, you're sounding like you think that Britain did this all on her own.

22 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I would say defeating the  Nazis is probably the most important part of modern British and world history. Your comments show great Disrespect to those who laid down their lives so you could live in freedom.  

I wonder how Sir captain Tom Moore would feel about those remarks. What a legend, a great example of a person  who fought for this country and cared about the NHS.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think people are giving far to much credit to the mindless vandals if they think their actions were because he was a racist. 

The were vandalising everything! 

Were they?

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I wonder how Sir captain Tom Moore would feel about those remarks. What a legend, a great example of a person  who fought for this country and cared about the NHS.

Who knows?

maybe he thinks the bombing of Dresden was a war crime and the nhs is broken and therefore leaks funds like a sieve hence why they needed the money?

but because he’s full of traditional British stoicism he never actually says it

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth tbh. 

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think people are giving far to much credit to the mindless vandals if they think their actions were because he was a racist. 

The were vandalising everything! 

From FB

On Wednesday I had the pleasure and privilege to volunteer as a medic for the London Black Lives Matter protest. I wasn’t going to say anything but seeing what’s on the news I thought I’d give my input. There were over 20,000 people present, and it was mostly incredibly peaceful. I’m talking less antagonism than an A&E waiting room. Definitely less than post a football match. I wasn’t needed to do ANY first aid for the whole protest and I stayed from 12pm-7pm when the protest was dispersing. I’ve heard there were some clashes after. Also Hyde Park was left so spotless by the protestors& volunteers the park police complimented us!

It took me a long time to decide I was going to volunteer. On one hand, a deadly viral pandemic. On the other, deadly systemic racism. A few things helped me decide, including the recent government relaxation of lockdown, the VE street parties, the crowded beaches. But what finally made my mind up was looking at the footage from America and the police brutality to everyone. 
The right to protest peacefully is a cornerstone of democracy and if violence breaks out protesters need on-scene attention. As healthcare staff I feel like it’s our responsibility to protect people from infectious disease, but the government has been hugely irresponsible on that front. I also feel that we have a responsibility to speak out& act against systemic healthcare inequalities.

I spent my time at the protest encouraging mask use and hand-washing, as well as encouraging health promotion like smoking cessation. Around 95% of the protestors were in masks (we gave out over 500), 0 members of police were. 

The protest was intended to be well-distanced. The organisers spent a long time planning it and we set up everyone 2 metres apart. However, a huge number of people turned up and the social distancing kind of collapsed. We also told everyone if they were sick or vulnerable (or lived with vulnerable people) they shouldn’t participate. And we advised social isolation and caution afterwards. 

I made a personal choice that I don’t expect anyone else to, and I don’t judge people for their choices. I just wanted people to know before they see media portrayals of today’s protests, and to think about how they are going to respond #BLM #BLMLDN #BLMLDNmovement

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah thats my problem with it

All the valid points and good work and the original message are now going to be washed over with the story that they spray painted Churchill and war memorial statues and they were already swimming against the tide anyway 

Just don't do it, it side swipes the whole thing in to something different 

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Or it just gives a convenient excuse for people who don't really have that much sympathy anyway to work a little confirmation bias in their heads and get sanctimonious about it all.

Probably no surprise, but I agree with the latter point here. On a protest that thousands or tens of thousands of people attend, obviously some of them will do or say things you disagree with. If you take the first opportunity to therefore denounce the protests, or more-in-sadness-than-in-anger say that regrettably you can no longer fully support them, that is of course your right, but it just really shows you were looking for the first opportunity to get off the wagon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Bringing the army in to the riots actually helped the situation not hinder 

Forgive my history ignorance, but didn't the soldiers shoot the strikers/rioters? That's (if correct) an unusual definition of "helping".

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Were they?

Yes they were vansalising alot of things. It wasnt everyone so i dont want to tarnish them all. But there was mindless idiots vandlising shops destroying bins. Just because you didnt see it on tv doesnt mean it didnt happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes they were vansalising alot of things. It wasnt everyone so i dont want to tarnish them all. But there was mindless idiots vandlising shops destroying bins. Just because you didnt see it on tv doesnt mean it didnt happen.

The reason I'm asking the question is because there is a difference between a 'protest' and a 'riot'. To call something a 'protest' is not to say that nothing got damaged, but that damage was either small-scale and trivial or targeted for political reasons. A 'riot', by contrast, is when violence stops being targeted and becomes indiscriminate. The post I was responding to asserted that 'they were vandalising everything!', ie that it was a riot, which assertion was withdrawn as soon as I asked about it. I know it wasn't a riot, not only from TV but from hearing from people who were there, and from reading accounts such as the one @mjmooney posted above.

• Like 1

Â