Racism Part two

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He was a huge benefactor to those who agreed with him politically.

Also, people have tried to have the statue removed for years. As Sam said above, even adding a plaque outlining the bad things he was involved was got stuck in political mud and never happened.

Did the people with the hacksaw's know all of this? 

(again, I could give a **** if a statue I'd never seen nor the man I'd ever heard of ended up in the sea). 

3 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Olusoga presents the programme A House Through Time. It's currently on BBC2, and this series focuses on a house built in 18th century Bristol so a fair chunk covers Bristol and its relationship with slavery. He's brilliant, and so is the programme. 

It's decided then, we throw Bristol into the sea, see you tomorrow AM hacksaw's in hand :lol:  

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

(again, I could give a **** if a statue I'd never seen nor the man I'd ever heard of ended up in the sea). 

I doubt they came from all over the country and just opportunistically saw some statue and wanted it gone...

As Sam said earlier, and i repeated, people from Bristol have either wanted this thing gone, or at least some amendment to show his awful side too, but have been held up by Politics,

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I wasn't  making a case for Colston , i was answering the poster who asked " Why he has a statue in Bristol"

Sure, I understand you're not defending his career, but what I'm saying is the best answer to 'why does he have a statue in Bristol' is 'because, thanks to the fortune he made through the slave trade, he had lots of money to donate to the city that made his fortune possible'.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yes, they 100% would have.

I'm talking as a 'local' that grew up 40 miles down the road, not in Bristol. The people of Bristol are well acquainted with Mr Colston and the many ways he has been used as a political battlefield.

• Thanks 1

So whilst we are all arguing about things that happened 100s of years ago. Have any of these protester put forward any concrete policy ideas that can be implemented in the here and now to improve lives? All I've heard is vague statements about 'justice' and 'ending racism'. If the best solutions on offer to these issues are mob rule and tearing down statues, stop the world... I wanna get off!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

So whilst we are all arguing about things that happened 100s of years ago. Have any of these protester put forward any concrete policy ideas that can be implemented in the here and now to improve lives? All I've heard is vague statements about 'justice' and 'ending racism'. If the best solutions on offer to these issues are mob rule and tearing down statues, stop the world... I wanna get off!

This, for a start:

And this

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's great the impact the statue being pulled down like that has had isn't it!

Yep, far from erasing history I'm sure this incident has actually made people aware of Colston's dastardly deeds and even his existence altogether (me included).

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I find it amazing how many of us have suddenly become experts on the life of Mr Colston :lol: 

The campaign has been going for years.

There have been many bands that refuse to play Colton Hall when on tour.

But this has certainly brought the whole discussion to a wider audience. Which is a bit of a blow for champions of quiet reasoned peaceful debate. Twenty, thirty years of discussion got nowhere.

6 hours of virtue signalling snowflakes and bam! Job done.

Makes you think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sure, I understand you're not defending his career, but what I'm saying is the best answer to 'why does he have a statue in Bristol' is 'because, thanks to the fortune he made through the slave trade, he had lots of money to donate to the city that made his fortune possible'.

Driven down to its essential elements, his generous philanthropy to the people of the UK was a transfer of wealth, taken directly from the people of Africa by force (with a decent amount of coin kept on the side for himself no doubt). 

If you are of the mindset that he looked after his own in the UK, ‘to bad so sad’ for the losers in that transaction then you’d probably be of the opinion his life deserves commemorating in a statue.

There would be plenty though who see it as blood money and cannot stand the thought of it being commemorated in such a grand gesture. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I find it amazing how many of us have suddenly become experts on the life of Mr Colston :lol: 

I think I preferred it when we were all experts on epidemiology and trade regulation. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

This, for a start:

And this

Thanks. The first post is interesting, although I hope they flesh out what they are going to replace the police department with before they dismantle it! It would be nice to see some ideas framed in a positive way instead of basing everything on revenge and destruction. No doubt this will put me in the VT pariah group but I don’t really like the second story so much! The AG shouldn’t be basing his charges on people protesting but on the law and the evidence in front of him, imo of course.

Edited by blandy
fixed format

3rd degree murder was a joke. There was video evidence (your proof) of the (at least!) 2nd degree murder, yet without the protests, nothing would have changed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

3rd degree murder was a joke. There was video evidence (your proof) of the (at least!) 2nd degree murder, yet without the protests, nothing would have changed.

Think it has been upgraded to 2nd degree murder.

Edit: due to it being on film and the protests of course.

Edited by sne

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

tbf until yesterday I'd never heard of the bloke ,  so I'm not really qualified to say how he made his fortune  , however ,  for the purpose of these discussions , I believe it has been established he was a slave trader .

I do understand your point  but equally I don't think it is unreasonable to state he had ties to the area as an answer to a question  "Why Bristol" 

FWIW  , the wiki entry for him has "The proportion of his wealth that came from his involvement in the slave trade and slave-produced sugar is unknown, and can only be the subject of conjecture unless further evidence is unearthed. As well as this income, he made money from his trade in the other commodities mentioned above, interest from money lending, and, most likely, from other careful financial dealings.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Think it has been upgraded to 2nd degree murder.

Edit: due to it being on film and the protests of course.

exactly my point :)

Also, not sure what's being driven out of revenge here. Revenge would be black people actively attacking and killing white people/cops. 

Â